Roseburg High School
|Roseburg High School|
Where Excellence is Tradition
|400 West Harvard Avenue
Roseburg, Oregon, Douglas County 97470
|School district||Roseburg School District|
|Number of students||1543|
|Color(s)||Orange and Black|
|Athletics conference||OSAA Southwest Conference 6A-6|
|Newspaper||The Orange R|
The campus is roughly 18 acres (73,000 m2) and contains seven main buildings as well as a track and an artificial turf football field. Completed in 1926 the "Heritage Building," once referred to as the "Main Building" is the oldest on campus. Constructed out of concrete in a cow pasture known as "Bellows Field," the Heritage Building originally consisted of 15 classrooms, a gymnasium and an auditorium. At three stories high the tallest building on campus is referred to as "The Commons." Completed in 1964 "The Commons" is located at the center of the campus and houses the Library/Media Center at the ground floor. In 2001 a major remodel began that included the erection of three new buildings and the demolition of two old buildings. The Fitness Gymnasium located to the south of the "Heritage Building" was completed in 2002. The Fine Arts Building was completed in the summer of 2003, housing the "Rose Theatre," the cafeteria as well as the fine arts department. The Main Building was completed in 2004 and is the location of the front office, counseling center and career center.
At 7:45 a.m. on February 23, 2006, a 14-year-old freshman shot and critically wounded a 16-year-old student in the school's courtyard. After the shooting, two students followed the shooter and flagged down a police car as he walked away from school. Police confronted him at a nearby restaurant parking lot, where he put a gun to his head before surrendering. School administrators decided to hire security guards as a result of the incident.
- Paul Brothers - football player
- Troy Calhoun - head coach of the United States Air Force Academy football team
- David Kennerly - Pulitzer prize winning photographer and Presidential Photographer for Gerald Ford
- Matthew Lessner - director and screenwriter
- Kyle Loomis - football punter
- Alek Skarlatos - Oregon Army National Guardsman, recipient of the Knights of the Legion of Honour
- Craig Tanner - American film director, film producer, and editor
- ZZ Ward - Music artist
- "Administration". Roseburg High School. Retrieved December 13, 2015.
- "Roseburg High School - Roseburg, Oregon". Schools.publicschoolsreport.com. Retrieved June 16, 2013.
- "State releases high school graduation rates". The Oregonian. June 30, 2009. Retrieved July 1, 2009.
- "Oregon dropout rates for 2008". The Oregonian. June 30, 2009. Retrieved July 1, 2009.
- "Student Critically Injured In Roseburg, Ore. School Shooting". KOMO. February 23, 2006. Retrieved October 2, 2015.