Roselle Park High School
|Roselle Park High School|
|185 West Webster Avenue
Roselle Park, NJ 07204
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Roselle Park School District|
|Vice principals||Ellen Bachert (Academics)
Richard Suchansky (Athletics)
|Faculty||52.8 (on FTE basis)|
|Enrollment||597 (as of 2013-14)|
|Student to teacher ratio||11.3:1|
|Athletics conference||Union County Interscholastic Athletic Conference|
Roselle Park High School is a four-year public high school located in Roselle Park, in Union County, New Jersey, United States, operating as the lone secondary school of the Roselle Park School District. Starting as of 2007, Roselle Park High School serves ninth through twelfth grades. The school has been accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools since 1928.
As of the 2013-14 school year, the school had an enrollment of 597 students and 52.8 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 11.3:1. There were 174 students (29.1% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 84 (14.1% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 191st-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 122nd in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 190th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 156th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state.
Schooldigger.com ranked the school tied for 104th out of 381 public high schools statewide in its 2011 rankings (an increase of 92 positions from the 2010 ranking) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the mathematics (88.3%) and language arts literacy (94.5%) components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA).
The current location is the fourth home for the high school. On April 30, 1931, the cornerstone was laid for a new building for the high school that was to be constructed at a cost of $350,000. In January 1961, Roselle Park voters rejected a proposal for the construction of a new high school that would have cost $2.5 million to build.
The high school was originally located at the site of today's Robert Gordon Elementary School. The school moved to a second building, now demolished, on Locust Street. The third incarnation of the high school was located in what is now the current Roselle Park Middle School. In 1993, a new wing was constructed, adding three additional classrooms.
The Roselle Park High School Panthers compete in the Union County Interscholastic Athletic Conference, which includes public and private high schools in Union County and operates under the supervision of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). Prior to the NJSIAA's 2009 realignment, the school had participated in the Mountain Valley Conference, which included public and private high schools in Essex County, Somerset County and Union County. With 440 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2014-15 school year as North II, Group I for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 61 to 478 students in that grade range.
- Athletic Director: Richard Suchanski
- Athletic Director Assistant: Geraldine Gurra
There are a variety of different sports at Roselle Park High School which include fall, winter, and spring seasons:
Fall sports: Football coached by Terry Hanratty, Boys' Soccer coached by Patrick Pietro, Girls' Soccer coached by Anthony Trezza, and Volleyball coached by Dennis Dagounis.
Winter sports: Boys' Basketball coached by Jon Bergbauer, Girls' Basketball coached by Richard Suchanski, Bowling coached by Vicent Fucci, and Wrestling Coached by John Ranieri.
Spring sports: Baseball coached by Nick Agoglia, Softball coached by Fran Maggio, Golf coached by Bruce Coultas, and Track and Field coached by Glenn Grieco and Shannon Smith.
Clubs and organizations
There are many clubs and organizations at RPHS some of these include: Crisis Center, Dads Club, Ecology Club, ESL Club, National Honors Society and Peer Leadership.
Core members of the district's administration are:
- Sarah Costa - Principal
- Ellen Bachert - Vice Principal of Academics
- Richard Suchansky - Vice Principal of Athletics
- Rick Barry (born 1944), professional basketball player.
- Keith Loneker (born 1971), former NFL player, actor.
- Alan Pasqua (born 1952), pianist, composer and jazz musician.
- School Data for Roselle Park High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed May 2, 2016.
- Roselle Park High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 2, 2016.
- Roselle Park High School, Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools, backed up by the Internet Archive as of April 14, 2012. Accessed March 29, 2015.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed September 12, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed September 6, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- School Overview; Click on "Rankings" for 2003-11 HSPA results, Schooldigger.com. Accessed March 11, 2012.
- Staff. "Lays Stone for Roselle Park School.", The New York Times, May 1, 1931. Accessed September 6, 2011.
- Staff. "Jersey School Voted Down", The New York Times, January 18, 1961. Accessed September 6, 2011.
- About The School, Roselle Park High School. Accessed September 6, 2011.
- League Memberships – 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 2, 2016.
- Home Page, Mountain Valley Conference, backed up by the Internet Archive as of February 2, 2011. Accessed December 15, 2014.
- 2014-2015 Public Schools Group Classification: ShopRite Cup–Basketball–Baseball–Softball for North II, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of July 8, 2014. Accessed September 14, 2014.
- Student Handbook 2015-2016, Roselle Park High School. Accessed May 2, 2016.
- "Best in the West", Time (magazine), January 13, 1975. Accessed May 19, 2007. "Barry has worked for a long time to become the game's premier forward. He took to the basketball court at age five to play against his older brother Dennis when the Barrys lived in Roselle Park, N.J."
- Keith Loneker, database Football. Accessed August 18, 2007.
- Roselle Park High School website
- Roselle Park High School's 2014–15 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the Roselle Park School District, National Center for Education Statistics
- Roselle Park High School bio on greatschools.net