Rosemary A. Bailey
|Born||1947 (age 75–76)|
|Alma mater||University of Oxford, England|
|Fields||Design of experiments, analysis of variance|
|Institutions||Mathematical Sciences Institute of Queen Mary, University of London, England|
|Thesis||Finite Permutation Groups (1974)|
|Doctoral advisor||Graham Higman|
Rosemary A. Bailey statistician who works in the design of experiments and the analysis of variance and in related areas of combinatorial design, especially in association schemes. She has written books on the design of experiments, on association schemes, and on linear models in statistics.(born 1947) is a British
Education and career
Bailey's first degree and Ph.D. were in mathematics at the University of Oxford. She was awarded her doctorate in 1974 for a dissertation on permutation groups, Finite Permutation Groups supervised by Graham Higman. Bailey's career has not been in pure mathematics but in statistics where she has specialised in the algebraic problems associated with the design of experiments.
Bailey worked at the University of Edinburgh with David Finney and at The Open University. She spent 1981–91 in the Statistics Department of Rothamsted Experimental Station. In 1991 Bailey became Professor of Mathematical Sciences at Goldsmiths College in the University of London and then Professor of Statistics at Queen Mary, University of London where she is Professor Emerita of Statistics. She is currently Professor of Mathematics and Statistics in the School of Mathematics and Statistics at the University of St Andrews, Scotland.
- Bailey, R. A. (1994). Normal linear models. London: External Advisory Service, University of London. ISBN 0-7187-1176-9.
- Bailey, R. A. (2004). Association Schemes: Designed Experiments, Algebra and Combinatorics. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-82446-0.
- Bailey, R. A. (2008). Design of Comparative Experiments. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-68357-9.
- Speed, T. P.; Bailey, R. A. (1987). "Factorial Dispersion Models". International Statistical Review / Revue Internationale de Statistique. International Statistical Institute (ISI). 55 (3): 261–277. doi:10.2307/1403405. JSTOR 1403405.
- Rosemary A. Bailey at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Honored Fellows, Institute of Mathematical Statistics, retrieved 24 November 2017
- "Professor Rosemary Anne Bailey FRSE - The Royal Society of Edinburgh". The Royal Society of Edinburgh. Retrieved 12 February 2018.
- Zieschang, Paul-Hermann (2006). "Review: Association schemes: Designed experiments, algebra and combinatorics, by R. A. Bailey" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.). 43 (2): 249–253. doi:10.1090/s0273-0979-05-01077-3.