Rosemary M. Collyer
Rosemary Mayers Collyer
|Judge of the United States Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court|
March 8, 2013
|Appointed by||John Roberts|
|Preceded by||John D. Bates|
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Columbia|
November 15, 2002
|Appointed by||George W. Bush|
|Preceded by||Thomas Penfield Jackson|
November 19, 1945 |
Port Chester, New York
|Alma mater||Trinity College (Washington, DC) B.A.
University of Denver College of Law J.D.
Rosemary Mayers Collyer (born November 19, 1945) is a United States District Judge for the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, and a member of the United States Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court.
Born in Port Chester, New York, Collyer received a B.A. from Trinity College in 1968 and a J.D. from the University of Denver College of Law in 1977. She was in private practice at the law firm of Sherman & Howard in Colorado from 1977 to 1981. She was then Chairman of the Federal Mine Safety and Health Review Commission from 1981 to 1984 and General Counsel of the National Labor Relations Board from 1984 to 1989. She returned to private practice in Washington, D.C. as a partner in the firm of Crowell & Moring LLP from 1989 to 2002.
On August 1, 2002, Collyer was nominated by President George W. Bush to a seat on the United States District Court for the District of Columbia vacated by Thomas Penfield Jackson. Collyer was confirmed by the United States Senate on November 14, 2002, and received commission on November 15, 2002.
In 2013, Collyer was appointed by the Chief Justice of the United States to a seven-year term on the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court. The Court provides a measure of judicial oversight over surveillance activities under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, as amended. Judge Collyer's term on the FIS Court began on March 8, 2013 and will conclude on March 7, 2020. She replaces Judge John D. Bates, whose term ended on February 21, 2013.
- "Rosemary M. Collyer". US District Court. Retrieved 2008-06-28.
- "The Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court: 2013 Membership". Federation of American Scientists. Retrieved 2013-07-01.
- Nomination of Rosemary M. Collyer To Be a Member of the Federal Mine Safety and Health Review Commission, and Designation as Chairman
- "Respondents' response to Court's August 7, 2006 order" (PDF). United States Department of Defense. August 15, 2006. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2008-06-27. Retrieved 2008-06-23.
- Rosemary M. Collyer at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
Thomas Penfield Jackson
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Columbia
John D. Bates
|Judge of the United States Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court