8 April 1972 |
Kanoni, Gomba District, Uganda
|Alma mater||Makerere University
(BA in Public Administration)
(MA in Public Administration)
|Occupation||Administrator & Politician|
|Years active||1999 — present|
|Title||State Minister for Urban Development|
Mariam Najjemba Mbabaali, formerly known as Rosemary Najjemba Muyinda is a Ugandan politician. She is the current State Minister for Urban Planning in the Ugandan Cabinet. She was appointed to that position on 15 August 2012. She replaced Justine Lumumba Kasule, who was appointed Government Chief Whip. She is the elected Member of Parliament for Gomba County, Gomba District on the National Resistance Movement (NRM) political party ticket.
Background and education
She was born in Gomba District on 8 April 1972. She attended Kitante Hill School for her O-Level education. She studied at MacKay College for her A-Level studies, graduating in 1993. She entered Makerere University in 1994, graduating in 1997 with the degree of Bachelor of Arts in Public Administration and Management. She also holds the degree of Master of Arts in the same field, obtained in 2004, also from Makerere University.
Beginning in 1999, until she joined active elective politics in 2006, Mariam Najjemba worked in various administrative roles in the Office of the President of Uganda, including as the head of the Women's Desk at State House Uganda and as the Presidential Assistant for Research at State House, Uganda. In 2006, she entered politics as a contestant for the Gomba County parliamentary seat, in what was then Mpigi District. She ran on the ticket of the National Resistance Movement (NRM) political party and won. In 2011, Gomba County was split off Mpigi District, forming Gomba District. She was re-elected in the renamed constituency as is the current incumbent. In a cabinet reshuffle on 15 August 2012, she was appointed State Minister for Urban Planning and Development.
She carries the ffollowing additional responsibilities in parliament: 
- She is the Chairperson of the Committee on HIV/AIDS and Related Matters
- She is a Member of the Committee on Natural Resources
- She is a Member of the Appointments Committee
- Butagira, Tabu (15 August 2012). "Museveni Reshuffles Cabinet, Makes Marginal Changes". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
- The Observer Staff, . (24 November 2013). "Najjemba: Rosemary Becomes Mariam". The Observer (Uganda). Retrieved 5 February 2015.
- POU, . (2011). "Najjemba Rosemary Muyinda: Member of Parliament for Gomba County, Gomba District". Parliament of Uganda (POU). Retrieved 5 February 2015.
- Musasizi, Simon (21 April 2010). "Uganda's Parliament Not Short of Beauties: Rosemary Najjemba Muyinda, NRM". The Observer (Uganda). Retrieved 5 February 2015.
- Butagira, Tabu (15 August 2012). "Museveni Reshuffles Cabinet, Makes Marginal Changes". Daily Monitor (Nairobi). Retrieved 5 February 2015.
- Observer Media Staff, . (24 November 2013). "Rosemary Najjemba Divorces, Re-marries, Changes Religions & Becomes Mariam". The Observer (Uganda). Retrieved 3 February 2015.