Rosemont station (CTA)
|Location||5801 North River Road
Rosemont, Illinois 60018
|Owned by||Chicago Transit Authority|
|Platforms||1 island platform|
|Opened||February 27, 1983|
|Previous names||River Road|
|Passengers (2015)||2,106,653 0.7% (CTA)|
|Rank||29 out of 143[a]|
Rosemont, formerly River Road, is a Chicago 'L' station at the intersection of River Road and I-190 in the suburb of Rosemont, Illinois. It is located in the median of I-190 with one island platform serving two tracks, 16 miles (26 km) northwest of the Chicago Loop. Trains are scheduled to depart from Rosemont every 2–7 minutes during rush-hour periods, and take about 36 minutes to travel to the Loop. The station is 7 blocks east and 2 blocks north of O'Hare. Rosemont is the busiest station outside the city limits of Chicago, with 2,090,977 passenger entries in 2014.
The Rosemont station opened on February 27, 1983, as the terminus of an extension of the West-Northwest route from its former terminal at Jefferson Park. It was built to a design by the architectural firm Murphy/Jahn. The station served as the temporary terminal for the West-Northwest route until the terminal at O'Hare Airport opened a year later. The station was known as River Road until the 1990s.
Rosemont is the terminus to many Pace bus routes. In addition, there is a parking lot for commuters that costs $5 US for 14 hours of allowed time. Plus, due to the many hotels nearby, a visitors pass machine is also found in the station. Just west of the station is a maintenance facility built in a wide spot of the freeway's median. The station contains a Dunkin' Donuts doughnut stand, which was installed in September 2004.
It is located only 1 mile from the City of Des Plaines at its westernmost border. The Rosemont station handles more suburban commuters from Des Plaines than any other suburb, including itself.
- 221 Wolf Road
- 223 Elk Grove/Rosemont CTA Station
- 230 South Des Plaines
- 284 Six Flags Great America Express
- 303 Forest Park/Rosemont
- 326 West Irving Park
- 332 River Road/York Road
- 600 Schaumburg Express
- 603 Elgin TC/Rosemont Express
- 605 Randall Road/Rosemont Express
- 606 Schaumburg Limited
- 610 River Road/Prairie Stone Express
- 616 The Chancellory Connection
- 811 Rosemont Entertainment Circulator
- 895 95th Street/Rosemont/Schaumburg Express (weekday rush hours only)
Notes and references
- Due to possible double-counting of physically-connected stations, the CTA's official 2015 tally of stations was 146, but for ridership purposes reported having only 143 stations.
- "Monthly Ridership Report – December 2015" (PDF). Chicago Transit Authority Ridership Analysis and Reporting. January 11, 2016. Retrieved March 11, 2016.
- Young, David; John C White (February 27, 1983). "First Link of O'Hare Line Opens". Chicago Tribune. p. 1.
- Rosemont. Chicago-"L".org (URL accessed October 2, 2006).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rosemont (CTA).|