Rosita C. Youngblood
|Member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives|
from the 198th district
|Assumed office |
|Preceded by||Bob O'Donnell|
|Born||December 20, 1946|
|Alma mater||Antioch University|
Rosita C. Youngblood (born December 20, 1946) is a Democratic member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives, representing the 198th District since a special election on April 5, 1994 to fill a vacancy.
Youngblood is the Ward Leader of the 13th Ward Democratic Executive Committee.
In July 2007, Youngblood called for the renaming of Negro Mountain. In a news release, she said, "Through a school project, my son and granddaughter first informed me of the name of this range and I found it to be disparaging that we have one of our great works of nature named as such… I find it disheartening for tourists who visit this range to see the plaque with the name Negro Mountain displayed on the mountainside."
On 1 August 2007, Youngblood and other lawmakers introduced House Resolution No. 378  resolving that the governor "form a commission …to study the naming of Negro Mountain and Mount Davis …[to] adopt names that accurately reflect the history of the region and the heroism displayed by the African American in the Negro Mountain conflict of 1756" and accordingly to alter "brochures, plaques and signs [to] accurately reflect the facts of this heroic historical event". (The 1921 naming of Mount Davis is now also considered controversial because it honors the white settler who once owned the land, rather than the colonial African-American.)
- Cox, Harold (November 3, 2004). "Pennsylvania House of Representatives - 1993-1994" (PDF). Wilkes University Election Statistics Project. Wilkes University.
- Committee of Seventy (2009-12-21). "2009 Citizen's Guide" (PDF). 2009 Citizen's Guide. The Committee of Seventy, Philadelphia, PA 19103. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-04-19. Retrieved 2009-12-21.
- Interview, 13 July 2007, Philadelphia Daily News
- Bracey, Christopher (8 August 2006). "Some Thoughts on Negro Mountain". Archived from the original on February 6, 2009. Retrieved 2009-02-08.
- "House Resolution No. 378; Session of 2007". The General Assembly of Pennsylvania. 1 August 2007. Retrieved 2009-02-08.
- Pennsylvania House of Representatives - Rosita Youngblood. Official PA House website.
- Project Vote Smart - Representative Rosita C. Youngblood (PA) profile
- Follow the Money - Rosita Youngblood
- Pennsylvania House Democratic Caucus - Rep. Rosita Youngblood. Official Party website.