Aerial image of Rosny and Rosny Hill Nature Recreation Area
|Population||793 (2011 census)|
|• Density||1,021.9/km2 (2,647/sq mi)|
|Area||0.776 km2 (0.3 sq mi)|
|LGA(s)||City of Clarence|
Rosny is a suburb of the City of Clarence, part of the greater Hobart area, Tasmania, Australia. It is located on the eastern shore of the Derwent River, between the suburbs of Montagu Bay and Rosny Park, approximately 4 kilometres from Hobart's centre. Rosny is the residential part of its commercial namesake Rosny Park.
Rosny is a pretty, quiet, residential area, with sweeping views of the Derwent River and its estuary, the Tasman Bridge and Mount Wellington, and looks directly across the river to the CBD of Hobart. It is located on a narrow peninsula which juts out from the eastern shore at Rosny Point and climbs the rising slopes of Rosny Hill.
Rosny was named for a family name of W.A. Bethune, the holder of the original grant on the point, and he named it after his ancestor, the Duc de Maximilien de Bethune Sully, of Rosny-sur-Seine near Mantes in France.
Rosny was the initial home of the 'The Rosny Children's Choir', later changing the name to Australian Rosny Children's Choir. A local music teacher, Jennifer Filby, had her pupils sing carols at their end-of-year recital. She was asked to provide a chorus for a musical, and the Rosny Children's Choir was born in 1967.
The Choir was first from the southern hemisphere to perform at the renowned choral eisteddfod at Llangollen in Wales (1971), and in 1975 the first Australian choir to perform in China, as part of the Australian government's first cultural exchange. As well as a tour to Japan and interstate, and local performances, the Choir performed commissioned works  and performed with the Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra.
Much of Rosny is given over to thick groves of local she-oaks, which line the foreshore, interspersed with radiating residential streets. The Rosny Point Reserve, owned by the Clarence City Council covers 7.8 hectares, but does not include the strip of land adjoining the river which is a Public Reserve under the Crown Land Act (6.7 hectares). Rosny Hill Nature Recreation Area (21.4 hectares), under the authority of the Parks and Wildlife Service but managed by the City of Clarence, occupies the hill top. Some 46 per cent of the total land area of 76.6 hectares of Rosny is reserved land.
Rosny Hill Recreation Area itself is also covered in native vegetation and, although not particularly high at 94.25 meters at the Survey Control Site, its position jutting out into the river produces spectacular views which be enjoyed at the lookout that skirts the top of the hill.
There are five vegetation communities within the Rosny Hill Nature Recreation Area: Grassy Eucalyptus viminalis woodland, Inland Acacia verticillata low fores, Lowland Themeda grassland, Lowland grassland complex and Bursaria-acacia woodland and scrub. There are several rare and threatened native plant species, including Leafy sun orchid (Thelymitra bracteata), Grassland flax lily (Dianella amoena), Spear grass (Austrostipa nodosa), Tall wallaby grass (Austrodanthonia induta), Shade peppercress (Ledidium pseudotasmanicum), and Narrow leaf New Holland daisy (Vittadinia muelleri).
Housing Tasmania purchased in 2010 the Marantha Nursing Home, now called Bellview Manor, and it is used as Hostel Accommodation providing 32 bedrooms in a Hostel and 8 units.
Rosny's main non-residential infrastructure is the Rosny Waste Water Treatment plant located off Bastick Street owned by Taswater. The plant was once notoriously created foul odours, but modernised techniques have removed this problem. Work commenced in 2004 to install effluent pumps, 6.7 kilometres of raising mains, large storage tank and over 1.8 kilometers of reticulation mains between the plant and the Coal Valley to allow 2.5 billion litres of treated effluent to be used for agricultural use. The works were completed in October 2006.
Located on the boundary between Rosny and Rosny Park area, there is Clarence RSLA and Rosny Park Bowls Club, Rosny Park Tennis Club, Rosny College and the Charles Hand Memorial Park. There are also two churches on the boundary between the Rosny and Montagu Bay suburbs, St James Anglican Church and Seventh Day Adventist Church. The latter church is also used by local Funerals Directors. The Clarence Aquatic Centre YMCA and Clarence Sports Centre are close by in adjoining suburb of Montagu Bay. The local store, also in Montagu Bay suburb has closed down.
Rosny is serviced by local Metro Tasmania bus route 676 with this service terminating at the Elizabeth Street Bus Mall in Hobart. On weekdays, Route 676 leave Rosny Bus Mall at 7:25 am, 8:12 am, and hourly from 9:31 am until 2:31 pm. Route 676 departs Elizabeth Street Bus Mall in Hobart at 3:24 pm, 4:24 pm and 5:24 pm. There is no weekend or public holiday service. Many residents drive or walk to the bus stop under the Rose Bay High School overpass, near the Clarence Pool, where buses on Metro routes (601, 615, 616, 624, 625, 634, 635, 646) can be hailed. These route operate as a high frequency service, every 10 minutes Monday to Friday, 7 am to 7 pm. These routes are part of 'Turn Up and Go' network introduced 11 January 2016.
There are multi-use paths and cycleways along the shoreline of Rosny Point, linking the suburb with Rosny Park and the CBD of Hobart. There is also a formed track around the top of Rosny Hill.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Rosny (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 15 January 2013.
- http://www.ccc.tas.gov.au/page.aspx?u=1085 Retrieved 29 August 2014
- http://www.utas.edu.au/library/companion_to_tasmanian_history/R/Rosny%20choir.htm http://www.nfsa.gov.au/site_media/uploads/file/2011/12/12/NFSA_OH_Sound_recordings_music_amended.pdf Retrieved 20 August 2014
- http://www.australianmusiccentre.com.au/artist/australian-rosny-childrens-choir Retrieved 20 August 2014
- "2011 Census QuickStats: Rosny". Australian Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 4 February 2016.
- http://surcom.dpiw.tas.gov.au/surcom/jsp/site/site_cont.jsp?cmd=list&id=0&datum=5&site_packId=ST77 Retrieved 6 August 2014
- http://www.ccc.tas.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/RHNRAMS-110824.pdf Retrieved 6 August 2014
- http://dpipwe.tas.gov.au/conservation/flora-of-tasmania/from-forest-to-fjaedlmark-descriptions-of-tasmanias-vegetation-%28edition-2%29 Retrieved 6 August 2014
- Certificate of Title 144222 Folio 5 transfer to Director of Housing 07-May-2010
- http://www.taswater.com.au Retrieved 6 August 2014
- http://data.daff.gov.au/brs/brsShop/data/brs_2008_social_aspects_recycled_water.pdf Retrieved 7 August 2014
- http://www.lgma.org.au/downloads/File/Cambridge.pdf Retrieved 7 August 2014
- http://www.metrotas.com.au/timetables/hobart/rosny-point-howrah-waverley-st/ Retrieved 4 February 2016
- http://www.metrotas.com.au/timetables/turn-up-and-go/hobart/ Retrieved 4 February 2016
- http://www.greaterhobarttrails.com.au/track/rosny-hill-circuit-track/ Retrieved 8 October 2014