- Other uses: Goose (disambiguation)
|Juvenile Ross's goose in California, USA|
This goose breeds in northern Canada, mainly in the Queen Maud Gulf Migratory Bird Sanctuary, and winters much further south in the continent in the southern United States and occasionally northern Mexico.
The plumage of this species is white except for black wing tips. It is similar in appearance to a white-phase snow goose but approximately 40% smaller. Other differences from the snow goose are that the bill is smaller in proportion to its body and lacks "black lips". The dark phase is extremely rare.
The Ross's goose is a rare vagrant to Western Europe, but it is commonly kept in wildfowl collections and so the true frequency of wild birds is hard to ascertain. Escaped or feral specimens are encountered frequently, usually in the company of other feral geese such as Canada goose, greylag goose and barnacle goose. However, individuals or small groups that seemed to be of natural origin have turned up in the Netherlands and Britain.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ross's Goose.|
|Wikispecies has information related to: Chen rossii|
- Ross's Goose - Chen rossii - USGS Patuxent Bird Identification Infocenter
- Ross's Goose Species Account - Cornell Lab of Ornithology
- Ross's Goose videos, photos, and sounds at the Internet Bird Collection
- Ross's Goose photo gallery at VIREO (Drexel University)
- Interactive range map of Chen rossii at IUCN Red List maps