|No. 96 – Minnesota Vikings|
|Born:||July 9, 1998|
Missouri City, Texas
|Height:||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight:||307 lb (139 kg)|
|High school:||Elkins |
(Missouri City, Texas)
|NFL Draft:||2020 / Round: 2 / Pick: 40|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 8, 2022|
|Player stats at NFL.com · PFR|
Blacklock's father, Jimmy, played for and later served as a coach for the Harlem Globetrotters. Growing up in Missouri City, Texas, Blacklock became a football star at Elkins High School. Following his senior season for the Knights, he was selected to play in the 2016 U.S. Army All-American Game and verbally committed to play college football at TCU during the broadcast of the game.
After redshirting during his first season on campus in Fort Worth, Blacklock became a full-time starter as a redshirt freshman in 2017, helping lead the Frogs to the program's first-ever berth in the Big 12 Championship Game and a win in the 2017 Alamo Bowl over Stanford. His individual performance earned him Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year honors as well as Freshman All-American honors from the Football Writers Association of America.
In August 2018, Blacklock suffered an injury caused him to miss his entire sophomore season. Nine months later, he was cleared by doctors to return for his junior season in 2019. Following a junior season where he was named to the first-team All-Big 12, Blacklock announced that he would forgo his senior season and declare for the 2020 NFL Draft.
|Height||Weight||Arm length||Hand span||40-yard dash||20-yard shuttle||Three-cone drill||Vertical jump||Broad jump|
|6 ft 3+1⁄8 in
|4.90 s||4.67 s||7.77 s||29.0 in
|8 ft 11 in|
|All values from NFL Combine|
Blacklock was selected in the second round of the 2020 NFL Draft with the 40th pick by the Houston Texans, their first choice in the draft. The Texans originally obtained this pick in the trade that sent DeAndre Hopkins to the Arizona Cardinals for David Johnson.
In Week 2 against the Baltimore Ravens, Blacklock was ejected from the game late in the fourth quarter after throwing a punch. In his first year as a professional, Blacklock did not live up to expectations. He finished his first season with 14 tackles, including one tackle for a loss, and no sacks.
- "Son of a Globetrotter, Ross Blacklock finds his dominance on football field instead". USA Today. January 5, 2016.
- "Texans select TCU DT, Elkins alumnus Ross Blacklock in second round of the 2020 NFL Draft". khou.com. April 24, 2020. Retrieved April 26, 2020.
- "Unlike trailblazing dad, TCU pledge Blacklock takes different sports path". Houston Chronicle. January 27, 2016.
- "TCU Comes Back to Win Valero Alamo Bowl". GoFrogs.com. December 29, 2017.
- "2017 All-Big 12 Football Honors Announced". Big12sports.com. November 30, 2017.
- "FWAA Names 2017 Freshman All-America Team". SportsWriters.net. January 8, 2018.
- "TCU's Ross Blacklock out for season after injuring Achilles in practice". ESPN.com. August 17, 2018.
- "TCU gets good news on DT Ross Blacklock". Fort Worth Star-Telegram. May 9, 2019.
- Triebwasser, Melissa (December 27, 2019). "Ross Blacklock declares for the NFL Draft". msn.com. Retrieved February 11, 2020.
- "Glenn Gronkowski Combine Profile". NFL.com. Retrieved July 29, 2020.
- Alper, Josh (April 24, 2020). "Texans make Ross Blacklock their first 2020 draft pick". NBC Sports. Retrieved April 24, 2020.
- "Ravens extend regular-season run, dominate Texans 33-16". ESPN.com. Associated Press. September 20, 2020. Retrieved September 20, 2020.
- "Where is Texans DT Ross Blacklock with his development?". December 27, 2020.
- "LOOK: Arizona Cardinals gloat over DeAndre Hopkins trade".
- Williams, Charean (August 30, 2022). "Vikings acquire Ross Blacklock from Texans". Pro Football Talk. NBC Sports.