Ross Dress for Less
S&P 500 Component
|Traded as||NASDAQ: ROST|
Pacifica, California, U.S.
|Founder||Lionel Ross Brockup|
|Headquarters||Dublin, California, U.S.|
|Barbara Rentler, CEO|
|Products||Clothing, footwear, bedding, furniture, jewelry, beauty products, and housewares.|
|Revenue||US$9.72 Billion (FY 2012)|
|US$1.27 Billion (FY 2012)|
|US$787 Million (FY 2012)|
|Total assets||US$3.67 Billion (FY 2012)|
|Total equity||US$1.77 Billion (FY 2012)|
Number of employees
|57,500 (January 2013) |
Ross Stores, Inc., is an American chain of "off-price" (i.e., deeply discounted) department stores headquartered in Dublin, California, officially operating under the brandname, Ross Dress for Less. It is the second-largest off-price retailer in the USA, behind TJX Companies.
As of August 2015 Ross operates 1,254 locations in 33 U.S. states, the District of Columbia and Guam, covering much of the country, but with no presence in New England, New York, northern New Jersey, Alaska, and areas of the Midwest.
Ross Department Store was first opened in San Bruno, California, in 1950 by Morris "Morrie" Ross. Morris would work 85 hours a week doing all of the buying and bookkeeping for his department store. In 1958 Ross sold his store to William Isaacson to become a residential and commercial real estate developer.Isaacson built the company to six stores, located in San Bruno, Pacifica, Novato, Vacaville, Redwood City, and Castro Valley. In 1982 a group of investors, including Mervin Morris, founder of the Mervyns chain of department stores, purchased the six Ross Department Stores in San Francisco, changed the format to off-price retail units, and within three years rapidly expanded the chain to 107 stores under Stuart Moldaw and Don Rowlett. By the end of 1995 the chain reached an annual sales of $1.4 billion with 292 stores in 18 states. By 2012 Ross reached $9.7 billion for the fiscal year with 1,091 stores in 33 states with an additional 108 for Dd's Discounts in 8 states.
- Ross Stores (ROST) annual SEC income statement filing via Wikinvest
- Ross Stores (ROST) annual SEC balance sheet filing via Wikinvest
- Ross website http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=64847&p=irol-faq#5182
- "Contact Us." Ross Stores. Retrieved on July 9, 2010.
- Ross investor presentation dated November 2014, downloaded Feb. 15, 2015
- Ross Store Locator
- Pimsleur, J.L. (December 5, 1997, B8). "Obituary -- Morris Ross". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved 10 October 2011. Check date values in:
- Ross Stores Company History
- "Ross Stores, Inc. - Company Profile, Information, Business Description, History, Background Information on Ross Stores, Inc.". referenceforbusiness.com. referenceforbusiness. Retrieved June 21, 2014.
- "Overview: Historical Highlights". Ross Dress for Less. Retrieved June 21, 2014.
- Rupp, Lindsey (8 May 2014). "Ross Stores’ Rentler to Be 25th Female CEO in Fortune 500". Bloomberg Business. Retrieved 26 February 2015.