Ross John Edgley
Edgley in 2018
Ross Edgley (born 13th October 1985) is an adventurer and author best known for becoming the first person in history to swim all the way around Great Britain. After 2,000 miles and 157 days the World Open Water Swimming Association announced it as the World Swim of the Year 2018 and it became officially recognised as "The World's Longest Staged Sea Swim."
His journey was documented as a weekly internet series, "Ross Edgley's Great British Swim", produced by Red Bull. Talking about his historic swim he said, "It's my hope that people remember the Great British Swim as an example or experiment in both mental and physical fortitude."
Born into a sporting family (his father was a tennis coach, his mother was a sprinter and his grand parents were marathon runners and in the military), he graduated from Loughborough University's School of Sport and Exercise Science and was listed in the World's 50 Top Fittest Men in 2016 by Askmen.com after he:
- Ran a marathon pulling a 1.4 tonne car (the media dubbed, “The World’s Strongest Marathon”)
- Climbed a rope the height of Everest (8,848m) (the media dubbed, “The World’s Longest Rope Climb”)
- Ran 1,000 miles barefoot in a month carrying a 50kg backpack
- Completed an Olympic Distance Triathlon carrying a 100lbs tree
- Swam over 100km across the Caribbean Sea pulling a 100lbs tree
- Swam non-stop for 48 hours at the Commando Training Centre for the Royal Marines
- Swam 2,000 miles around Great Britain in 157 days
- Ran 30 Marathons in 30 days.
Now considered a leading expert in mental fortitude, physical resilience and work capacity, Ross published the Sunday Times Bestselling "The World's Fittest Book" in 2018 and began "The World's Fittest Tour" in 2019 to teach people "The human body is far more powerful than our own minds often lead us to believe."
The World's Fittest Book combines the teachings, tips and tricks of Olympic champions, world record holders and celebrated military personnel. It took over 10 years to write, was published in May 2018 in the UK becoming a Sunday Times Bestseller and has since been sold and distributed around the world in over 100 countries.
- Halliday, Josh (2018-11-04). "'It was brutal': Ross Edgley completes 157-day swim around Britain". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2019-01-31.
- "Ross Edgley sets record for round Great Britain swim". BBC. 4 November 2018. Retrieved 4 November 2018.
- CNN, Amanda Jackson,. "After 5 months at sea, Ross Edgley completes swim around Great Britain". CNN. Retrieved 2018-11-07.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link)
- Editors, AskMen. "Ross Edgley - Flex 50: The Fittest Men of 2016". AskMen. Retrieved 2019-01-31.
- Larbi, Miranda (23 March 2017). "Meet Ross Edgley: the real life Action Man who runs with trees tied to his back". Metro. Retrieved 4 November 2018.
- Edgley, Ross. "How I trained to run a triathlon while carrying a tree". Retrieved 2018-11-14.