Lovegrove in 2007
|Born||1958 (age 59–60)|
|Alma mater||Manchester Polytechnic|
Ross Lovegrove was born in Wales and in 1983 graduated from the Royal College of Art in London with a Masters Degree in Industrial Design, showing seminal works; Kodak Digital Camera and Equestrian Chaise longue.
Scouted by Frogdesign in Germany, then considered the world's leading design studio he worked on Apple and Sony programmes.
Joining Knoll International in Paris he created the revolutionary Alessandri office system in Organic Design style.
At the age of 27 he was selected to be amongst the five top French designers with Jean Nouvel and Philippe Stark to be a member of the Atelier De Nimes.
In 1998 he was awarded the Medaille De la Ville de Paris.
Establishing Studio X in London in 1990 he built his current studio next to the original studio of David Hockney in Notting Hill.
He has spoken twice at TED global, the first in Monterey Calif in February 2005 entitled "Inspired by Nature". The second at Oxford University in June 2009 was presented as "Lovegrove Genesis" talking about how in the future products will be created via optimised algorithms to be as efficient as possible in material and energy appropriation.
His work has been featured in two CNN "Just Imagine" programs with a global audience of 200 million showing his early innovation in autonomous vehicles (COAS) and off-grid autonomous living (Alpine Capsule).
Ross Lovegrove was raised in Penarth by parents who were first cousins and who both hold the name Lovegrove. His father was a highly decorated Naval Officer, HWJ Lovegrove known as 'Stormy'.
He is married to architect Miska Miller-Lovegrove.
- German Design Award (2016)
- Elle Déco International Design Awards (2016)
- Red Dot Best of the Best (2015)
- Hungarian Design Prize
- Batimat Design Award (2010)
- Vogue Traveller Ecology Prize, SOLAR TREE MAK Vienna, (2007)
- Elle Decor (2006)
- Good Design (2006)
- Wall Paper Design Award (2006)
- Final Nomination for the Prince Phillip Design Prize (2004)
- Good Design (2004)
- JANUS Paris (2004)
- Awarded Royal Designer for Industry by The Royal Society of Arts (2004)
- 'Designer of the Year', A & W Hamburg (2001)
- ID Magazine Good Design Award (2000)
- iF International Forum Design Award, Hannover (1999)
- Médaille de la Ville de Paris (1998)
- George Nelson Award (1998)
- D&AD Silver Medalist
- 'G' Mark Federal Design Prize Japan
- Curated the first permanent collection[clarification needed]. The same year, he was awarded the Red dot design award for the products created for VitrA
- "In-Formation", for Alcantara®, IMM, Cologne (January 2017)
- London Design Festival, London (September 2015)
- Stand United Nude, New York Design Week, New York (May–June 2015)
- Stand Moroso, Clerkenwell Design Week, London (May 2015)
- Stand Moooi Carpets, Salone del Mobile Milano, Milan (April 2015)
- 24th Biennale Intérieur, Kortrijk (October 2014)
- London Design Festival, London (October 2014)
- "Naturaliser l'architecture",ArchiLab, FRAC Centre, Orléans (September–March 2014)
- Stand Vondom, Salone del Mobile Milano, Milan (April 2015)
- 23rd Biennale Intérieur, Kortrijk (October 2012)
- Stand Sharp Solar for Artemide, Clerkenwell Design Week, London (May 2012)
- Lasvit LiquidKristal, Salone del Mobile Milano, Milan (April 2012)
- "Endless", Galleria Cardi Black Box, Milan, (September–October 2011)
- Freiburg Solar Show, Fribourg-en-Brisgau, 2009
- "Primordial", Galerist gallery, Istanbul (January–February 2009)
- "Liquid Space", stand "Swarovski Crystal Palace", Art Basel, Miami (November–December 2008)
- "Design Cities", Istanbul Modern, Istanbul (April–August 2008)
- "Cellular Automation – Origin of Species 2" for the exposition "Second Nature", 21_21 Design Sight, Tokyo (October 2007 – January 2008)
- Solar Tree exposition at the Swarovski Crystal Aerospace, MAK, Vienna (Octobre 2007)
- "Endurance. Limited edition art pieces", Phillips de Pury & Company's, New York (March–April 2007)
- "Superliquidity", Le Bain gallery, Tokyo (March 2005)
- "Designosaurs", for the exposition "From Archeology to Architecture", Galerie Segheria, Milan (April 2004)
- "Latent Utopias", Festival Steirischer Herbst, Graz (November 2003)
- "Delighted by Corian", with Marc Newson and James Irvine, Salone del Mobile Milano, Milan (Abril 2003)
- "Expanding the Gap", with Greg Lynn and Tokujin Yoshioka, Galerie Rendel & Spitz, Cologne (January 2002)
- "Material Transition", Rheinauen Space, Cologne, as part of the Designer of the Year Award, by the magazine Architektur & Wohnen (January 2001)
- "Sensual Organic Design", Yamagiwa Corporation, Tokyo (October 2000)
- "Organic Dreams", Galerie IDEE, Tokyo (December 1999)
- "Ross Lovegrove: Design", Danish Museum of Decorative Art, Copenhague (February 1998)
- "Ross Lovegrove: Objects", Volvo Centre, Stockholm (1997)
- "100% Ross Lovegrove". Phaidon Press. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- About Us – Ross Lovegrove. Rosslovegrove.com. Retrieved 1 April 2014.
- "Mutations-Créations / Ross Lovegrove". Centre Pompidou. Retrieved 9 October 2017.
- "CONVERGENCE: ROSS LOVEGROVE AT THE POMPIDOU PARIS". 30 June 2017. Retrieved 9 October 2017.
- online-exhibition | Red Dot Award: Product Design. En.red-dot.org. Retrieved 1 April 2014.
- sun tunnel by Lovegrove. VELUX. Retrieved 1 April 2014.
- VitrA Bathroom Culture. Usa.vitra.com.tr. Retrieved 1 April 2014.
- Official website
- Ross Lovegrove at TED
- Watch Ross Lovegrove's keynote presentation live from Inside 2016
- A look inside Ross Lovegrove's four-storey home and studio in London 2015
- Ross Lovegrove downsizes giant speaker to create wireless Muo device (2015)
- United Nude + 3D systems present re-inventing shoes during Milan Design Week (2015)
- Zaha Hadid, Ben van Berkel and more design 3D-printed shoes for United Nude (2015)
- Re-Inventing Shoes (2015)
- Moroso "gave me a chance," says designer Ross Lovegrove (2014)
- Barrisol Pavilion + Lighting by Ross Lovegrove at Biennale Interieur
- Ross Lovegrove creates chair for Moroso using metal-pressing technology for cars
- Ross Lovegrove creates infinitely stackable Diatom chair for Moroso
- INFINITY LOOP large light objects by Studio Ross Lovegrove for Barrisol
- Ross Lovegrove: Nebula + Botanic Rain for Artemide
- LDN by Ross Lovegrove and NYC by KiBiSi for Biomega
- Ross Lovegrove for KEF
- The Gingko Carbon Table by Ross Lovegrove
- The Ginkgo Carbon Table
- Bloombery TV The Solar Tree
- Design Indaba conversation with Ross Lovegrove and Fernando Gutierrez (2011)
- "Design Milk" interview (2011)
- Wallpaper* interview (2007)
- designboom interview (2006)
- TED Talks: Ross Lovegrove shares organic designs at TED in 2005
- Design Indaba interview (2004)
- design-engine.com interview (2003)
- Ross Lovegrove in conversation with Dr. Albrecht Bangert, Design Miami 2008 Video at VernissageTV.
- Ross Lovegrove at Cologne Design Week Cologne 2009 Video at Designspotter TV