26 September 1984 |
|Other names||The Real Deal|
|Height||5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)|
|Weight||155 lb (70 kg; 11.1 st)|
Lightweight (2004-2011, 2012-present)
|Reach||69.0 in (175 cm)|
|Style||Boxing, Muay Thai, TKD, Judo, BJJ|
|Fighting out of||Sunderland, England|
|Rank||Black belt in Tae Kwon Do
Brown belt in Judo
Blue belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
|Years active||2004 – present|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Ross Pearson (born 26 September 1984) is an English mixed martial artist currently competing in the Welterweight division of the UFC. A professional competitor since 2004, Pearson is perhaps most notable as the Lightweight division winner of The Ultimate Fighter: United States vs. United Kingdom and as one of the head coaches on The Ultimate Fighter: The Smashes.
Pearson, born and raised in Sunderland, England, began training in Tae Kwon Do at the age of six, before adding judo and boxing to his repertoire in high-school. Pearson later began training in mixed martial arts at the age of 17 and also attended Carilion Craft Training in Sunderland, to become a bricklayer.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Pearson defeated kickboxer Dennis Siver by unanimous decision (30–27, 30–27, 30–27) on 31 March 2010 at UFC Fight Night 21. Pearson was submitted by Cole Miller via second-round rear-naked choke on 15 September 2010 at UFC Fight Night 22. Pearson faced Spencer Fisher on 27 February 2011 at UFC 127. He won the fight via unanimous decision.
For his next fight, Pearson dropped to Featherweight and faced Junior Assunção on 30 December 2011 at UFC 141. Pearson was briefly linked to a rematch with Dennis Siver on 14 April 2012 at UFC on Fuel TV 2. However, it was confirmed the bout will not happen at the event. Pearson faced Cub Swanson on 22 June 2012 at UFC on FX 4.
Pearson faced Melvin Guillard on 26 October 2013 at UFC Fight Night 30. The fight ended in a no contest when Pearson was deemed unable to continue after being cut on the forehead by an accidental illegal knee.
Pearson faced Diego Sanchez on 7 June 2014 at UFC Fight Night 42. Despite seemingly controlling the action over the bout's duration, Pearson lost the fight via split decision. 13 of 14 media scorecards had the bout 30-27 Pearson, while the 14th had Pearson winning 29-28. As a result, Pearson filed an appeal with the New Mexico Athletic Commission, "in hopes the decision is overturned, at the very least to a no-contest." The official decision was ultimately upheld. Despite an official loss on the scorecards, UFC president Dana White indicated that the organization has ruled out the possibility of an immediate rematch and said that they will informally treat it as a win for Pearson and that he would be compensated that way.
Pearson was expected to face Abel Trujillo on 16 August 2014 at UFC Fight Night 47. However, on 4 August, Trujillo pulled out of the Pearson bout and was replaced by Gray Maynard. He won the fight by TKO in the second round. After a close first round, Early in the second round Pearson tagged Maynard with nice combinations and dropped him with Maynard not intelligently defending himself and then ref Keith Peterson stepped in to stop the fight.
Pearson faced Sam Stout on 14 March 2015 at UFC 185. Pearson won the fight via knockout in the second round dropping Stout with a left hook and finishing him with a right hand on the ground. Subsequently, Pearson won a Performance of the Night bonus.
Pearson was expected to face Abel Trujillo on 20 March 2016 at UFC Fight Night 85. However, Trujillo was removed from the card on March 12 due to alleged visa issues which restricted his entry to Australia. As a result, Pearson faced Chad Laprise on the card. He won the fight via split decision.
Pearson was expected to face James Krause on 8 July 2016 at The Ultimate Fighter 23 Finale. However, Krause was pulled from the fight on 13 June for undisclosed reasons and replaced by Will Brooks. He lost the fight via unanimous decision.
Pearson was tabbed as a short notice replacement and is expected to face Jorge Masvidal in a welterweight bout on July 30, 2016 at UFC 201, filling in for an ill Siyar Bahadurzada. He lost the fight via unanimous decision.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- Ultimate Force
- UF Lightweight Championship (one time)
- One successful title defense
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|32 matches||19 wins||12 losses|
|Loss||19–12||Jorge Masvidal||Decision (Majority)||2016|July|30||Template:Dts2016||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||19–6||Paul Felder||Decision (split)||UFC 191||September 5, 2015||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||18–6||Gray Maynard||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Bader vs. St. Preux||16 August 2014||2||1:35||Bangor, Maine, United States|
|Win||17–6||Diego Sanchez||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: Henderson vs. Khabilov||7 June 2014||3||5:00||Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States|
|Win||16–6||Melvin Guillard||KO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Machida vs. Munoz||26 October 2013||1||2:57||Manchester, England||Knockout of the Night.|
|Win||15–6||Ryan Couture||TKO (punches)||UFC on Fuel TV: Mousasi vs. Latifi||6 April 2013||2||3:45||Stockholm, Sweden|
|Win||14–6||George Sotiropoulos||TKO (punches)||UFC on FX: Sotiropoulos vs. Pearson||15 December 2012||3||0:41||Gold Coast, Australia||Return to Lightweight.|
|Loss||13–6||Cub Swanson||TKO (punches)||UFC on FX: Maynard vs. Guida||22 June 2012||2||4:14||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||13–5||Junior Assunção||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 141||30 December 2011||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Featherweight debut.|
|Loss||12–5||Edson Barboza||Decision (split)||UFC 134||27 August 2011||3||5:00||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||12–4||Spencer Fisher||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 127||27 February 2011||3||5:00||Sydney, Australia|
|Loss||11–4||Cole Miller||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC Fight Night: Marquardt vs. Palhares||15 September 2010||2||1:49||Austin, Texas, United States|
|Win||11–3||Dennis Siver||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Florian vs. Gomi||31 March 2010||3||5:00||Charlotte, North Carolina, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||10–3||Aaron Riley||TKO (doctor stoppage)||UFC 105||14 November 2009||2||4:38||Manchester, England|
|Win||9–3||Andre Winner||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter: United States vs. United Kingdom Finale||20 June 2009||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Won The Ultimate Fighter 9 Lightweight Tournament.|
|Win||8–3||Ian Jones||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Ultimate Force: Nemesis||1 November 2008||1||3:33||Doncaster, England||Defended the UF Lightweight Championship.|
|Loss||7–3||Abdul Mohamed||Decision (unanimous)||Cage Gladiators 9: Beatdown||4 October 2008||3||5:00||Liverpool, England|
|Win||7–2||Cedric Celerier||Submission (punches)||MMA Total Combat 24||31 May 2008||1||2:35||London, England|
|Win||6–2||Aidan Marron||Submission (armbar)||Ultimate Force: Punishment||3 May 2008||3||4:34||Doncaster, England||Won the vacant UF Lightweight Championship.|
|Win||5–2||Sami Berik||Submission (triangle choke)||Strike and Submit 6||13 April 2008||1||0:37||Gateshead, England|
|Win||4–2||Mark Spencer||TKO (punches)||MMA Total Combat 23||23 February 2008||1||3:44||Cornwall, England|
|Win||3–2||Steve Tetley||Submission (armbar)||CWFC: Enter The Rough House 5||8 December 2007||1||4:46||Nottingham, England|
|Win||2–2||Gavin Bradley||KO (punch)||MMA Total Combat 22||24 November 2007||1||2:05||Cornwall, England|
|Loss||1–2||Curt Warburton||TKO (doctor stoppage)||MMA Total Combat 21||22 September 2007||1||5:00||Cornwall, England|
|Win||1–1||Will Burke||Decision||MMA Total Combat 21||22 September 2007||3||5:00||Cornwall, England|
|Loss||0–1||Chris Hughes||Submission (rear-naked choke)||HOP 1: Fight Night 1||12 December 2004||2||2:33||Swansea, Wales|
Mixed martial arts exhibition record
|Exhibition record breakdown|
|3 matches||3 wins||0 losses|
|Win||3–0||Jason Dent||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter: United States vs. United Kingdom||June 7, 2009 (airdate)||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Semi-finals.|
|Win||2–0||Richie Whitson||Submission (armbar)||The Ultimate Fighter: United States vs. United Kingdom||May 13, 2009 (airdate)||1||3:40||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Quarter-finals.|
|Win||1–0||A.J. Wenn||TKO (punches)||The Ultimate Fighter: United States vs. United Kingdom||April 1, 2009 (airdate)||2||0:21||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Preliminary bout.|
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Bisping vs. Leites". UFC.com. Retrieved July 19, 2015.
- Matt Newsum (14 August 2014). "Fighter Ross Pearson ignores wedding plans for UFC contest". BBC Sport.
- "Ross Pearson Bio". Ross Pearson "The Real Deal" Official Website. Retrieved 16 August 2014.
- "Pearson faces Siver". fightersonly.co.uk. Retrieved 21 January 2010.
- "Pearson-Miller at UFN 22; Baroni-Salter at UFC 118". MMAFighting.com. Retrieved 31 May 2010.
- "Spencer Fisher vs. Ross Pearson targeted for UFC 127 in Australia". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 24 November 2010.
- "UFC 127 preliminary-card results: Pearson tops Fisher, judges rob Fukuda". mmmajunkie.com. 27 February 2011. Retrieved 26 February 2011.
- "WORLD EXCLUSIVE: Sunderland UFC star Ross Pearson ready for war in Rio". Sunderland Echo. 19 April 2011.
- "Twitter Exchange Helps Make Junior Assuncao vs. Ross Pearson at UFC 141". mmaweekly.com. 31 October 2011.
- "Ross Pearson vs. Dennis Siver rematch added to UFC on FUEL TV 2". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 11 January 2012.
- "Ross Pearson vs. Dennis Siver II not happening at UFC on FUEL TV 2". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- "Ross Pearson vs. Cub Swanson added to UFC on FX 4 in New Jersey". mmajunkie.com. 29 March 2012.
- "UFC on FX 6 Will Also Feature Sotiropoulos vs. Pearson and 'The Smashes' Finals". mmaweekly.com. 7 September 2012.
- "UFC on FUEL TV 9 adds Couture-Pearson". mmajunkie.com. 9 February 2013.
- Dana Becker (2013-08-06). "Melvin Guillard-Ross Pearson Slated For Return To England In October". fightline.com. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- "Lyoto Machida Arrives at 185 Pounds, Knocks Out Mark Munoz at UFC Fight Night 30" by Brian Knapp, Sherdog.com
- Mookie Alexander (2014-01-23). "Ross Pearson injured, Michael Johnson now fights Melvin Guillard at UFC Fight Night 37". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2014-01-23.
- Rick Wright (2014-03-28). "Sanchez added to UFC card". abqjournal.com. Retrieved 2014-03-28.
- Chuck Mindenhall (2014-06-08). "Ross Pearson's victory disappears in the 'Land of Enchantment'". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2014-06-08.
- "Sanchez-Pearson decision might be worst in MMA history, and that's saying something". mmajunkie.com. 2014-06-08.
- Matt Erickson and Steven Marrocco (2014-06-09). "Ross Pearson appeals UFC Fight Night 42 loss to Diego Sanchez". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-06-09.
- Jorge Hernandez (2014-06-18). "New Mexico Athletic Commission Says 'No' to Overturning Diego Sanchez-Ross Pearson Decision". swfight.com. Retrieved 2014-06-18.
- Staff (2014-06-11). "After controversial loss, UFC's Ross Pearson to receive $30,000 win bonus". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-06-11.
- Marc Raimondi (2014-07-11). "Ross Pearson steps in to face Abel Trujillo at UFC Fight Night Maine". msn.foxsports.com. Retrieved 2014-07-11.
- Jacob Cooper (2014-08-04). "Abel Trujillo out, Ross Pearson now meets Gray Maynard at UFC Fight Night 47". cagepages.com. Retrieved 2014-08-04.
- Steven Marrocco (2014-08-16). "UFC Fight Night 47 results, photos: Ross Pearson drops Gray Maynard in second". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-08-16.
- Staff (2014-10-02). "Ross Pearson vs. Al Iaquinta set for UFC Fight Night 55 in Sydney". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-10-02.
- Matt Erickson (7 November 2014). "UFC Fight Night 55 results: Al Iaquinta shuts down Ross Pearson in second". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 7 November 2014.
- Elias Cepeda (2015-01-14). "Ross Pearson to face Sam Stout at UFC 185". foxsports.com. Retrieved 2015-01-14.
- Dave Doyle (2015-03-14). "UFC 185 results: Ross Pearson knocks out Sam Stout". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-03-14.
- C.J. Tuttle (2015-03-15). "UFC 185 Bonuses: Dos Anjos, Jedrzejczyk, Pearson, Dariush earn $50K awards". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2015-03-15.
- Lee Williams (2015-05-25). "Pearson vs Dunham booked for UFC Fight Night Glasgow". mmacrazytv.com. Retrieved 2015-05-25.
- Brent Brookhouse (18 July 2015). "UFC Fight Night 72 results: Ross Pearson survives armbar, but falls to Evan Dunham". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 18 July 2015.
- José Youngs (7 August 2015). "UFC Targeting Paul Felder vs. Ross Pearson For UFC 191 in September". themmacorner.com. Retrieved 7 August 2015.
- Steven Marrocco (2015-09-05). "UFC 191 results, highlights: Ross Pearson ekes out close split call over Paul Felder". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-09-05.
- Staff (2015-10-29). "Ross Pearson meets Francisco Trinaldo at UFC Fight Night 81 in Boston". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-10-29.
- Ben Fowlkes (2016-01-17). "UFC Fight Night 81 results: Francisco Trinaldo outworks Ross Pearson for decision". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-01-17.
- Staff (25 January 2016). "Ross Pearson meets Abel Trujillo at UFC Fight Night 84 in Australia". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 25 January 2016.
- Staff (2016-03-12). "Nguyen vs. Scoggins scrapped, Laprise now meets Pearson in UFC Fight Night 85 shuffle". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-03-12.
- Ben Fowlkes (2016-03-19). "UFC Fight Night 85 results: Ross Pearson tops Chad Laprise with close and fun split call". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-03-19.
- Staff (2016-04-06). "3 fights added to TUF 23 Finale in Las Vegas, including James Krause vs. Ross Pearson". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-04-06.
- John Morgan (2016-06-13). "James Krause withdraws from The Ultimate Fighter 23 Finale, UFC seeks new opponent for Ross Pearson". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-06-13.
- John Morgan (2016-06-15). "Will Brooks signs with UFC, meets Ross Pearson at The Ultimate Fighter 23 Finale". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-06-15.
- Ben Fowlkes (2015-07-08). "TUF 23 Finale results: Ex-Bellator champ Will Brooks tops gritty Ross Pearson for win in UFC debut". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-07-08.
- Staff (2016-07-12). "Illness forces Siyar Bahadurzada out of UFC 201, UFC seeks opponent for Jorge Masvidal". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-07-12.
- Brett Okamoto (2016-07-13). "Ross Pearson agrees to fight Jorge Masvidal at UFC 201". espn.go.com. Retrieved 2016-07-13.
- Steven Marrocco (2016-07-30). "UFC 201 results: Jorge Masvidal outworks scrappy Ross Pearson for unanimous decision". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-07-30.
- Staff (2016-09-22). "Ross Pearson vs. James Krause slated for UFC Fight Night 99 in Belfast". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-09-22.