February 13, 1967 |
Barstow, California, U.S.
|Genres||Nu metal, heavy metal, punk rock, groove metal, death metal, post-hardcore, indie rock, alternative rock, rap metal, alternative metal, rap rock, thrash metal|
|Associated acts||Korn, At the Drive-In, Glassjaw, Sticky Hair, Slipknot, The Cure, Machine Head, Sepultura, Tech N9ne, Night Verses, Cold, Limp Bizkit, Suicide Silence|
Ross Robinson (born February 13, 1967) is an American music producer, who has discovered acts such as Korn, At the Drive-In, Glassjaw, The Blood Brothers, Repeater, Slipknot, Sticky Hair, and Limp Bizkit. Robinson has also worked with Tech N9ne, Machine Head, Vanilla Ice, The Cure, Sepultura, and many others.
Robinson began as a thrash metal guitarist for the bands Detente and Murdercar (featuring future Machine Head drummer Dave McClain) and picked up his knowledge of producing from the studios where his band recorded demos. Robinson received his first production job for the 1991 Fear Factory album Concrete. Robinson would use the album as a showcase of sorts in helping him land producing slots with other acts, particularly the up-and-coming band Korn.
Robinson is regarded as "The Godfather of Nu Metal", along with Korn frontman Jonathan Davis, despite denouncing the nu metal movement later on for becoming complacent and the newer bands for not expanding on the style which he helped create with Korn's first album, Korn (1994).
Robinson has also been successful in the post-hardcore genre, producing At the Drive-In's final album, Relationship of Command in 2000, as well as Glassjaw's albums, Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Silence (2000) and Worship and Tribute (2002). Robinson has also worked with the likes of The Cure on their eponymous album (2004) and From First to Last on their album Heroine (2006).
In 2003 he produced The Blood Brothers' ...Burn, Piano Island, Burn, which was a departure for both the band and Robinson. In contrast to The Blood Brothers' previously raw, often under-produced songs (which lasted as short as 90 seconds at times), ...Burn, Piano Island, Burn featured much longer and more complex compositions.
Robinson was the owner of the IAM: Wolfpack label. In 2007 it was announced that he was starting a new label IAM: Wolfpack which released the debut CD from Black Light Burns titled Cruel Melody. He is a co-owner of semi-private NY nightclub The Plumm, along with David Wells, Jesse Bradford, Noel Ashman and others.
From 2008, Robinson decided to produce new talents he discovered via Myspace. He recorded and mixed a young French trio called My Own Private Alaska which mixes classical piano and scream based vocals. Their Amen album was released on March 1, 2010, through his label I Am Recordings.
Robinson has been producing indie rock bands such British bands Klaxons and Dananananaykroyd. In late 2008, the Luxembourgish dance rock band INBORN! were approached by Ross Robinson. Having heard the band on the net, he offered to record their first official long player. The band entered Robinson's studio on October 1, 2010.
In 2010, Robinson returned to produce Korn's ninth album, 14 years after last working with band. Korn wanted to recapture the raw energy of the first two albums which Robinson produced.
Robinson worked with Limp Bizkit, producing their 2015 album Stampede of the Disco Elephants. Robinson also worked with Sepultura for their 2013 album The Mediator Between Head and Hands Must Be the Heart.
On June 17th, 2016, It was revealed Robinson is working with progressive act The Contortionist on their fourthcoming release Echoes Is stated for February 2017 Release.
- Detente – Recognize no Authority (1986) (guitar)
- Murdercar – unreleased album (1990) Ross Robinson (guitar) | Dave McClain (drums) | Dave Clemmons (David Judson Clemmons) (bass) | Sean Hamrick (vocals)
- Ross Robinson at TheGrixer.com
- Concrete – Fear Factory (1991)
- The Crimson Idol – W.A.S.P. (1992) (engineer)
- Creep – Creep (1993)
- Neidermayer's Mind – Korn (1993)
- Korn – Korn (1994)
- Feed-Us – Cradle of Thorns (1994)
- Adrenaline – Deftones (1995) Production on "Fist"
- Injected – Phunk Junkeez (1995)
- All Is Not Well – Manhole (1996)
- Life Is Peachy – Korn (1996)
- Roots – Sepultura (1996)
- Three Dollar Bill, Yall – Limp Bizkit (1997)
- Soulfly – Soulfly (1998)
- e-lux – Human Waste Project (1998)
- Cold – Cold (1998)
- Hard To Swallow – Vanilla Ice (1998)
- The Burning Red – Machine Head (1999)
- Slipknot – Slipknot (1999)
- Amen – Amen (1999)
- Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Silence – Glassjaw (2000)
- Relationship of Command – At the Drive-In (2000)
- We Have Come For Your Parents – Amen (2000)
- Strait Up – Snot w/ various artists (2000) Production on "Absent"
- Iowa – Slipknot (2001)
- Start with a Strong and Persistent Desire – Vex Red (2002)
- Concrete – Fear Factory (re-released 2002)
- Worship and Tribute – Glassjaw (2002)
- ...Burn, Piano Island, Burn – The Blood Brothers (2002)
- Join, Or Die – Amen (2003) (never released)
- The Cure – The Cure (2004)
- Team Sleep – Team Sleep (2005) Production on "Blvrd. Nights" and "Live from the Stage"
- The Unquestionable Truth (Part 1) – Limp Bizkit (2005)
- Heroine – From First to Last (2006)
- Redeemer – Norma Jean (2006)
- Wolves – Idiot Pilot (2007)
- Worse Than a Fairy Tale – Drop Dead, Gorgeous (2007)
- Cruel Melody – Black Light Burns (2007) mixing on "Mesopotamia"
- The Anti Mother – Norma Jean (Aug 2008)
- Saga – Siddharta (2009)
- Korn III: Remember Who You Are – Korn (2010)
- We Walk From Safety – Repeater (2010)
- Surfing the Void – Klaxons (2010)
- PERSONA – INBORN! (2011)
- There Is A Way – Dananananaykroyd (2011)
- Birth, School, Work, Death – Hyro da Hero (2011)
- Anthems Of The Hero – Kraddy (2011)
- VI – Siddharta (2011)
- Haria – Berri Txarrak (2011)
- SEMANTIK PUNK - "abcdefghijklmnoprstuwxyz" (2012)
- Therapy EP - Tech N9ne (2013)
- The Mediator Between Head and Hands Must Be the Heart - Sepultura (2013)
- The Drone - We Are Knuckle Dragger
- Blood Maker EP – Wild Throne (2014)
- Denbora da poligrafo bakarra - Berri Txarrak (2014)
- My Dreams Dictate My Reality - Soko
- Searching For Zero - Cancer Bats (2015)
- Stampede of the Disco Elephants – Limp Bizkit (2015)
- Harvest of Darkness - Wild Throne (2015)
- Only Ghosts - Red Fang (2016)
- II - De La Tierra (2016)
- Night Verses - Into the Vanishing Light (2016)
- Suicide Silence - Suicide Silence (2017)
- "Packing Heat: Ross Robinson, Record Producer". Altsounds.com. Retrieved October 28, 2011.
- Prato, Greg. "Biography: Ross Robinson". Allmusic. Retrieved March 14, 2010.
- McIver, Joel (2002). Nu-metal: The Next Generation of Rock & Punk. Omnibus Press. p. 123. ISBN 0-7119-9209-6.
- Simon (30 October 2013). "REVIEW: WE ARE KNUCKLE DRAGGER – THE DRONE". The Monolith. Retrieved 23 December 2013.
- Bram Teitelman (Jan 30, 2013). "Ross Robinson involved in Limp Bizkit album". Metal Insider. Retrieved 6 March 2013.
- http://www.theprp.com/2016/05/26/news/night-verses-set-july-release-ross-robinson-produced-new-album/. Missing or empty