Rosso (bus company)
|Service area||Greater Manchester|
|Service type||Bus services|
|Fleet||109 (May 2014)|
|Chief executive||Alex Hornby|
Rosso is the trading name of Rossendale Transport, a bus operator providing services in Greater Manchester, Lancashire and West Yorkshire. It became a subsidiary of Transdev Blazefield on 12 January 2018, after Rossendale Borough Council members agreed to a sale to them at a meeting on 20 December 2017.
Rosso can trace its history back to 1907 when both Rawtenstall and Haslingden Corporations (both independently) ran a motor bus within their boroughs. Both undertakings merged in 1968 to form Rossendale Joint Transport Committee and later in 1974 with the local government reorganisation the boroughs were merged, along with Bacup (which was already served by Rossendale buses; Bacup Borough not having its own bus company) and Whitworth to form the present Borough of Rossendale.
Concerns were raised in 2009 about the council's intentions with regards to its continued ownership of the company, culminating in a public protest outside the town hall to dissuade the council from selling. In July 2009 the council announced that it was retaining its ownership of the company, its valuation not having been met by potentially interested parties.
In August 2013, the Rossendale Transport bus network was rebranded (with a new livery design of red, orange, yellow and white) as Rosso.
- Companies House extract company no 2004970 Rossendale Transport Limited
- £3 Million investment promised in Rossendale for bus users as Rossendale Borough Council approves the sale of Rosso to Transdev Rossobus 21 December 2017
- "Council bosses dispel fears over future of Rossendale Transport". Lancashire Telegraph. 4 March 2009. Retrieved 16 September 2009.
- "Rossendale Transport protesters at mayor making". Lancashire Telegraph. 15 May 2009. Retrieved 16 September 2009.
- "Rossendale Borough Council and the test marketing of Rossendale Transport Limited" (Press release). Rossendale Borough Council. 28 July 2009. Retrieved 16 September 2009.
- New-look fleet of Rossendale buses ready to roll Lancashire Telegraph 21 August 2013
- Rosso set to join the Transdev Blazefield family Route One 15 December 2017
- £3 million investment promised for Rossendale bus users as Transdev announces takeover plan for council owned operator Transdev 15 December 2017
- "All change at Rawtenstall bus depot". Lancashire Telegraph. 11 September 2008. Retrieved 16 September 2009.
- Postlethwaite, p.36
- Postlethwaite, Harry (2007). Rossendale Transport: A Centenary Celebration 1907–2007. Venture Publications. ISBN 978-1-905304-19-6.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rosso.|