Rossendale and Darwen (UK Parliament constituency)
|Rossendale and Darwen|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Rossendale and Darwen in Lancashire.
Location of Lancashire within England.
|Electorate||73,443 (December 2010)|
|Member of parliament||Jake Berry (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Rossendale, Darwen and Heywood & Royton|
|European Parliament constituency||North West England|
1983-1997: The Borough of Rossendale, and the Borough of Blackburn wards of Earcroft, Marsh House, North Turton, Sudell, Sunnyhurst, and Whitehall.
1997-2010: All the wards of the Borough of Rossendale except the Greenfield and Worsley wards, and the Borough of Blackburn wards of Earcroft, Marsh House, North Turton, Sudell, Sunnyhurst, and Whitehall.
2010-present: The Borough of Rossendale wards of Cribden, Eden, Facit and Shawforth, Goodshaw, Greensclough, Hareholme, Healey and Whitworth, Helmshore, Irwell, Longholme, Stacksteads, and Whitewell, and the Borough of Blackburn with Darwen wards of Earcroft, East Rural, Fernhurst, Marsh House, North Turton with Tockholes, Sudell, Sunnyhurst, and Whitehall.
The constituency consists of Census Output Areas of two local government districts with similar characteristics: a working population whose income is close to the national average but varying reliance upon social housing in relative terms to the national average. At the end of 2012 the unemployment rate in the constituency stood as 3.5% of the population claiming jobseekers allowance, compared to the regional average of 4.2%.
The borough of Rossendale that contributes to the bulk of the population has a 21.5% of its population without a car, whereas this is 30.5% in Blackburn and outside of the seat in Burnley is 32.3%. A relatively high 24% of Rossendale's population were in 2001 without qualifications and a high 25.1% were with level 4 qualifications or above. A higher share, 28.7% of Blackburn's population lacked qualifications, however 19.8% of its population had Level 4 qualifications or above.
In terms of tenure 69.6% of homes are owned outright or on a mortgage as at the 2011 census across the Rossendale district; this compares to a similar 63.7% across Blackburn. Whereas in Ribble Valley to the north 76.6% of homes fall within this category, in Leeds the figure is 58.2% and in Manchester just 37.8%.
This constituency was created in 1983 and has alternated between the two largest parties' MPs during this time; since 1997 the constituency has been a bellwether of the national result.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrat||Afzal Anwar||806||1.6||−16.5|
|Liberal Democrat||Robert Sheffield||8,541||18.1||+3.2|
|UKIP||David Shaw Duthie||1,617||3.4||+1.8|
|National Front||Kevin Bryan||1,062||2.3||N/A|
|English Democrats||Michael Johnson||663||1.4||N/A|
|Conservative gain from Labour||Swing||8.9|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrat||Mike Carr||6,670||15.0||+0.4|
|BNP||Anthony John Wentworth||1,736||3.9||N/A|
|Green||Kenneth Graeme McIver||821||1.8||N/A|
|UKIP||David Shaw Duthie||740||1.7||N/A|
|Conservative||George Anderton Lee||15,028||36.3||+4.0|
|Liberal Democrat||Brian Frederick Dunning||6,079||14.7||+4.1|
Elections in the 1990s
|Conservative||Patricia Marilyn Buzzard||16,521||32.3||−11.4|
|Liberal Democrat||Brian Frederick Dunning||5,435||10.6||−0.7|
|Referendum||Roy Roger Newstead||1,108||2.2||N/A|
|Liberal Democrat||Kevin Connor||7,226||11.3||−3.8|
|Green||James Edward Gaffney||596||0.9||N/A|
|Natural Law||Peter Nicholas Gorrod||125||0.2||N/A|
|Labour gain from Conservative||Swing||+4.2|
Elections in the 1980s
|Liberal||Peter John Hulse||9,097||15.1||−6.1|
|Labour||Christopher Bernard Robinson||18,393||31.8||N/A|
|Liberal||Michael Francis Taylor||12,246||21.2||N/A|
|Conservative win (new seat)|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures – Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "'Rossendale and Darwen', June 1983 up to May 1997". ElectionWeb Project. Cognitive Computing Limited. Retrieved 13 March 2016.
- 2001 Census
- Unemployment claimants by constituency The Guardian
- 2011 census interactive maps
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "R" (part 2)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Rossendale & Darwen". BBC News. Retrieved 7 May 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1992". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "UK General Election results April 1992". Richard Kimber's Political Science Resources. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Retrieved 6 December 2010.
- "Election Data 1987". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1983". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.