|Minister of Petroleum|
3 August 2011 – 15 August 2013
|Preceded by||Mohammad Aliabadi (Acting)|
|Succeeded by||Bijan Namdar Zanganeh|
5 May 1964 |
|Spouse(s)||Maryam Ghasemi (–2007, her death)|
|Children||4 (including Fatemeh)|
|Alma mater||Aryamehr University|
|Awards||Order of Service (2nd class)|
|Years of service||1981–2011|
|Commands||Khatam-al Anbiya Headquarter|
Early life and education
Ghasemi was born on 5 May 1964 in Sargah village, Shiraz, Fars Province. His father was a businessman and politician, and served as the governor of the Fars Province from 1980 to 1988. He graduated from Sharif University of Technology, studying in civil engineering.
Ghasemi joined the Army of the Guardians of the Islamic Revolution (IRGC) in Kharg Island in 1979. He participated in the Iran-Iraq War. After the war, he joined the Khatam Anbia troops in Bushehr, the Guards' engineering and construction company. In 1996, he was named head of the IRGC navy's Nouh base. Ghasemi became deputy commander of the troops in 2001.
On 26 July 2011, he was nominated as oil minister by Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to succeed Masoud Mir Kazemi. He was approved by the parliament on 3 August 2011, being the fourth oil minister in the Ahmedinejad government. He received 216 for votes of the 246 Majlis members. He was the president of the OPEC for 2011. Ghasemi's tenure as oil minister ended on 15 August 2013 and he was replaced by Bijan Namdar Zanganeh in the post. Shortly after leaving office Ghasemi was appointed advisor to Defense Minister Hossein Dehghan on 22 August.
Ghasemi was included in the EU sanction list.
- خواستگاری رفتم و چون جانباز نبودم جواب رد شنیدم!
- نشانهای دولتی در روزهای پایانی خاتمی و احمدینژاد به چهکسانی رسید؟. Tasnim News Agency (in Persian). 24 August 2013. Retrieved 15 April 2016.
- Ghasemi was confirmed by Majlis Tabnak
- Alfoneh, Ali (Winter 2012). "Iran's Revolutionary Guards Strike Oil". The Middle East Quarterly. XIX (1): 75–78. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- Biography of Rostam Ghasemi Hamshahri Online
- "162th Ordinary Meeting" (PDF). OPEC. Retrieved 17 February 2013.
- "Former Iranian Oil Minister Qasemi appointed advisor to Defense Minister". Trend. 22 August 2013. Retrieved 24 August 2013.
- UPDATE 2-Iran parliament makes military man oil minister| Reuters, 3 August 2011
- Four new minister was nominated to Majlis
- Alizadeh, Hossein (16 August 2011). "The Best Government from Constitutional Revolution to Date!". Iran Briefing. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
- Iran revolutionary guards commander becomes new president of Opec, Saeed Kamali Dehghan, The Guardian, 3 August 2011
- "Ex-Iranian Oil Minister Qasemi appointed advisor to Defense Minister". ILNA. 22 August 2013. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- "Iran names Guards commander Rostam Qasemi oil minister". BBC. 3 August 2011. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
Masoud Mir Kazemi
|Minister of Petroleum
Bijan Namdar Zanganeh
|Commander of the Khatam-al Anbiya Construction Headquarters
|This article about an Iranian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|