Southern Federal University
|Южный федеральный университет|
Southern Federal University (Russian: Южный федеральный университет), abbreviated as SFedU (Russian: ЮФУ) and formerly known as Rostov State University (1957–2006), is a public university in Rostov Oblast, Russia with campuses in Rostov-on-Don and Taganrog.
Southern Federal University is the largest research and educational establishment of Rostov Oblast. The university began to operate in Rostov-on-Don in 1915 as an affiliate part of Imperial University of Warsaw whose Russian staff had been evacuated from Poland with the onset of World War I. Later, with the collapse of Russian Empire, the university was named Donskoy University after the region of Don by the decree of Russian Provisional Government on May 5, 1917. When founded in 1915, Donskoy University was the first higher education institution in Rostov-on-Don and had four academic departments: history & philosophy, medicine, physics & mathematics, and law. In 1917-1920, during Russian Civil War, Rostov-on-Don was under the control of the anti-Soviet coalition forces of Russian White movement including Kaledin's Don Army. Many of the staff who found refuge at Donskoy University at that time had a strong anti-Soviet stance and students were being drafted to White Army. During the turmoil years of the Civil War the official name of the university was Bogaevsky Donskoy University named after Mitrofan Bogaevsky, assistant to Ataman Alexey Kaledin. Following the takeover of Rostov-on-Don by Red Army in January 1920, the authority over Donskoy University passed to the Soviet government. That same year the Soviets purged the university off any seemed disloyal and pro-White movement staff members.
In 1925, Donskoy University was renamed to North Caucasus State University to reflect its status as an education center in then North Caucasus Krai. Another renaming of the university followed in 1934 giving Rostov-on-Don State University. Then again, in 1957, it was changed to Rostov State University. The latter name existed until 2006. In November 2006, Rostov State Academy of Architecture & Arts, Rostov State Pedagogical University and Taganrog State University of Radioengineering were merged into Rostov State University to form a single entity called Southern Federal University.
University centers and degree-granting institutions
- Main campus of SFedU (former Rostov State University)
- Faculty of Biology and Soil Science
- Faculty of Chemistry
- Faculty of Economics
- Faculty of Geology & Geography
- Faculty of High Techs
- R&D Center on Piezoelectric Engineering "Piezopribor"
- Faculty of History
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Mathematics, Mechanics & Computer Science
- Faculty of Philology & Journalism
- Faculty of Philosophy & Cultural Studies
- Faculty of Psychology
- Faculty of Physics
- Faculty of Regional Studies
- Faculty of Social and Political Science
- Institute of Economics and International Relations
- Pedagogical Institute (former Rostov State Pedagogical University)
- Faculty of Linguistics & Philology
- Faculty of Pedagogy & Psychology
- Faculty of Physical Education & Sport
- Faculty of Economics, Management & Legal Studies
- Faculty of Natural Sciences
- Faculty of Technology & Entrepreneurship
- Faculty of Visual Arts
- Faculty of Mathematics, Physics & Computer Sciences
- Faculty of Continuing and Extended Education
- Faculty of Advanced Training & Professional Development for Teachers
- Taganrog Institute of Technology (abbreviated as TIT, former Taganrog State University of Radioengineering)
- Institute of Architecture & Arts (former Rostov State Academy of Architecture & Arts)
Famous alumni and faculty
- Alexander Ankvab, President of Abkhazia
- Alexander Bovin, journalist, political scientist and diplomat
- Aleksander Burba, chemist, founder of metallurgy of germanium
- Zinaida Ermol’eva, microbiologist and biochemist who developed first Soviet-made antibiotics, recipient of numerous Soviet awards
- Sergey Shakhray, deputy Prime Minister of Russia
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, writer Nobel prize winner
- Valery Tarsis, writer.
- Dmitry Morduhai-Boltovskoi, mathematician
- Dmitri Ivanovsky, botanist, founder of virology
- Ivan Alekseyevich Kornilov, Soviet general
- Vladimir Semyonovich Semyonov, Soviet diplomat
- Sabina Spielrein, psychoanalyst
- Iosif Vorovich, mathematician
- Yuri Zhdanov, chemist, rector of the University of Rostov (1957—1988)
- "Facts and Figures on Southern Federal University". Official website of SFedU. Retrieved October 15, 2011.
- Belozerov, Semen E.; Zhdanov, Yuriy A. "History of Rostov State University: Rostov-on-Don 1915–-1930" (in Russian). SFedU official website. Retrieved October 15, 2011.
- Official site of Southern Federal University
- Official site of "Piezopribor" - R&D center affiliated with SFedU
- Official site of Institute of Economics and International Relations
- Official site of Taganrog Institute of Technology