Roswell Independent School District
|Roswell Independent School District|
300 North Kentucky AvenueNew Mexico, 88201
|Type||Public school district|
|Motto||Excellence in Education|
Success in Society
|NCES District ID||3502250|
|Students and staff|
|Teachers||580.50 (on an FTE basis)|
|Student–teacher ratio||16.88 (on an FTE basis)|
In 2018 Ann Lynn McIlroy became superintendent.
2014 school shooting
This section needs to be updated.(June 2016)
On January 14, 2014, at about 8:10 am, a student opened fire inside the gymnasium of Berrendo Middle School. The suspect then surrendered to a staff member and was taken into police custody. A 12-year-old student and a 13-year-old student were both airlifted to a hospital in Lubbock, Texas, in critical condition. The suspected shooter was a seventh-grade 12-year-old student at the school named Mason Campbell, who used a shotgun that was smuggled into the school inside a duffle bag. Campbell is facing three counts of aggravated battery with a firearm, and can be confined in a juvenile detention facility until he turns 21 years old.
List of schools
The Roswell Independent School District has twenty-one schools, including twelve elementary schools, three middle schools, four high schools, a preschool. Early College High School and University High School are alternative schools. In addition, Sidney Gutierrez Middle Schools, a K–8 charter school, is chartered with the Roswell Independent School District.
|School name||Grades||Enrollment (2020–2021)||Website|
|Berrendo Elementary School||P–5||284|||
|Berrendo Middle School||6–8||685|||
|Del Norte Elementary School||K–5||478|||
|Early College High School||9–12||191|||
|East Grand Plains Elementary School||P–5||211|||
|El Capitan Elementary School||P–5||389|||
|Goddard High School||9–12||1,145|||
|Mesa Middle School||6–8||457|||
|Military Heights Elementary School||P–5||389|||
|Missouri Avenue Elementary School||P–5||308|||
|Monterrey Elementary School||K–5||434|||
|Mountain View Middle School||6–8||568|||
|Nancy Lopez Elementary School||P–5||203|||
|Parkview Early Literacy Center||Preschool||197|||
|Pecos Elementary School||P–5||317|||
|Roswell High School||9–12||1,427|||
|Sidney Gutierrez Middle School||K–8||196|||
|Sierra Middle School||6–8||671|||
|Sunset Elementary School||P–5||279|||
|University High School||9–12||102|||
|Valley View Elementary School||P–5||500|||
|Washington Avenue Elementary School||P–5||370|||
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for ROSWELL INDEPENDENT SCHOOLS". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved April 13, 2022.
- "Superintendent - Roswell Independent Schools". Roswell Independent School District. Retrieved April 13, 2022.
- "2020 CENSUS - SCHOOL DISTRICT REFERENCE MAP: Chaves County, NM" (PDF). U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved June 28, 2022.
- Penn, Alison (April 17, 2018). "Dr. Ann McIlroy named superintendent; Susan Sanchez thanked for service, Porter Cutrell accepts position in Cloudcroft". Roswell Daily Record. Retrieved June 28, 2022.
- WLUC. "WLUC - Upper Michigan News, Weather, and Sports - WLUC - Home". Retrieved June 15, 2016.[permanent dead link]
- Konte, Hawa (January 15, 2014). "Day 2: Roswell Shooting Press Conference". Retrieved June 15, 2016.
- "Shooting reported at New Mexico middle school". CNN. January 14, 2014. Retrieved January 14, 2014.
- "Boy, 12, faces battery charge in New Mexico school shooting". Reuters. January 16, 2014. Retrieved January 16, 2014.
- "12-year-old in custody after 2 students shot at New Mexico middle school - U.S. News". January 14, 2014. Retrieved June 15, 2016.