This biographical article relies too much on references to primary sources. (June 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Stuart Rothenberg is an American editor, publisher, and political analyst. He is best known for his biweekly political newsletter The Rothenberg Political Report, now known as Inside Elections. He was as also regular columnist at Roll Call and an occasional op-ed contributor to other publications, including The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, The New York Times, and The Orlando Sentinel.
Rothenberg, currently a resident of Potomac, Maryland, lived in Waterville, Maine, while attending Colby College before relocating to Connecticut to earn his Ph.D. at the University of Connecticut. For a time, he settled in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania, to teach political science at Bucknell University, a subject he has also taught at the Catholic University of America.
In addition to his writing, he has been frequently featured in news broadcasts and worked with CNN as a political analyst for over ten years. He also served as a political analyst for CBS News and for the Voice of America. He is also a guest contributor for Political Wire.
Rothenberg is married and the father of two children.
Rothenberg is most recently known for his prediction in early 2009 that the GOP's chances of winning back the U.S. House of Representatives in 2010 were "zero". Rothenberg later would change his prediction as the economy worsened and polls reflected increasing support for Republicans through the Tea Party protests. The Rothenberg Political Report projected Republicans would gain 55–65 seats in the House of Representatives (they gained 63) and 6–8 seats in the Senate (they gained 6).
In 2015, the Rothenberg Political Report changed its name to The Rothenberg & Gonzales Political Report, with long-time collaborator Nathan Gonzales taking over as editor and publisher. In 2017, the publication was renamed to Inside Elections with Nathan L. Gonzales. Despite the name change, Rothenberg continued to work with Inside Elections as a senior editor.
- Weiss, Cindy (2011-03-31). "Rothenberg Sees Sharp Divides Ahead". UConn Today. Retrieved June 12, 2014.
- Rothenberg, Stuart. "April Madness: Can GOP win Back the House in 2010?" The Rothenberg Political Report, April 27, 2009. Retrieved July 27, 2011.
- "House Ratings". Inside Elections with Nathan Gonzales. November 1, 2010.
- "Senate Ratings". Inside Elections with Nathan Gonzales. November 1, 2010.
- Nathan L. Gonzales (January 12, 2015). "What Happened to The Rothenberg Political Report?". Roll Call.
- Gonzales, Nathan (13 January 2017). "A New Chapter: From Rothenberg to Inside Elections". Inside Elections. Retrieved 19 November 2017.