|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2009)|
$4500 in 1971
Design and development
Derived from an original design by B.J. Schramm, the Schramm Javelin evolved into the Schramm Scorpion, both of which were developed by the Schramm Aircraft Company. A new company . RotorWay Aircraft Inc. was formed to market and produce plans and kits for the Scorpion, described as a production version of the earlier Javelin. Production of kits started in 1967 with the original Scorpion model, and ended with the discontinuation of the Scorpion 145 in 1984.
The Scorpion prototype was built in 1966, followed by the production of Scorpion kits in 1968.
- Gross Weight: about 700 lb (318 kg)
- Useful Load: 425 lb (193 kg)
- Range: 160 miles (257 km)
- Cruise Speed: 65 mph (105 km/h)
- Rate of Climb: 900 ft/min at sea level
The Scorpion Too, or Scorpion II, was the first two-seater manufactured by RotorWay. It took about 2,000 hours to complete.
- Gross Weight: 1,125 lb (510 kg)
- Useful Load: 435 lb (197 kg)
- Range: 125 miles (201 km)
- Cruise Speed: 75 mph (121 km/h)
- Rate of Climb: 1,000 ft/min at sea level
Introduced in 1976, the Scorpion 133 was no different from the Scorpion Too, except for the new RW133 engine installed. This engine, the first built by RotorWay, was a 4-cylinder, 4-cycle, 133 horsepower (99 kW) engine. In 1977, because of the increased engine power, the length of the Scorpion's blades increased, from 24 feet (7.3 m) to 25 feet (7.6 m).
- Gross Weight: 1,235 lb (560 kg)
- Useful Load: 420 lb (191 kg)
- Range: 130 nmi (240 km) with one person, 79 nmi (146 km) with two people
- Cruise Speed: 80 mph (129 km/h)
- Rate of Climb: 800 ft/min
Produced briefly in 1984, the Scorpion 145 mounted the RW145 engine developed by RotorWay.
Specifications (Scorpion Too)
Data from Jane's All The World's Aircraft 1976-77 
- Crew: 2
- Length: 20 ft 3½ in (6.18 m)
- Rotor diameter: 24 ft 0 in (7.32 m)
- Height: 7 ft 3½ in (2.22 m)
- Disc area: 452 ft² (42.1 m²)
- Airfoil: NACA 0015
- Empty weight: 750 lb (340 kg)
- Max. takeoff weight: 1,200 lb (544 kg)
- Powerplant: 1 × RotorWay RW133 4-cylinder horizontally opposed liquid-cooled piston engine, 133 hp (99 kW)
- Cruise speed: 78 knots (90 mph, 145 km/h)
- Range: 104 nmi (193 mi, 120 km)
- Ferry range: 156 nmi (180 mi, 290 km) auxiliary fuel
- Service ceiling: 10,000 ft (3,050 m)
- Rate of climb: 800 ft/min (4.1 m/s)
- Disc loading: 2.65 lb/ft² (12.9 kg/m²)
- Hovering ceiling (in ground effect): 5,500 ft (1,375 m)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to RotorWay Scorpion.|
- Taylor, John W.R.. Jane's All The World's Aircraft 1976-77. London: Jane's Yearbooks, 1976. ISBN 0-354-00538-3.
- Taylor, John W.R.. Jane's All the World's Aircraft 1982-83. Jane's Publishing Company. London. 1982. ISBN 0-7106-0748-2