Rough Book poster
|Directed by||Ananth Narayan Mahadevan|
|Written by||Sanjay Chouhan|
Rough Book is a feature film directed by Ananth Narayan Mahadevan for Aerika Cineworks. It features Tannishtha Chatterjee and Amaan Khan in lead roles with Joy Sengupta, Jayati Bhatia, Deepika Amin and Vinay Jain in supporting roles. Television actor Ram Kapoor makes an appearance. The narrative was written by Sanjay Chouhan and Ananth Mahadevan.
The filmmakers describe what they assert to be the problems of the Indian educational system, impeding opportunities for growth, and what they believe to be teachers' typical demand and supply mentality towards education.
Rough Book is a hard look at the education system in India. Though one of the finest systems in the world, the lacunae in the system have created issues that are threatening to clog the channels of learning in contemporary India. The story revolves around the division among students on the basis of their grade. It avoids melodrama. A teacher and her students rebel against the system.
Rough Book is based on actual experiences of parents, teachers and students told through the eyes of a teacher, Santoshi Kumari, who rallies through a divorce with a corrupt senior Indian Revenue Service officer to become a teacher of Physics. Her pupils are in the D division — "D" sarcastically refers to Duffers in the school by students and teachers. How Santoshi tackles a system to set her own terms for her students forms the bulk of a simply told, thought-provoking and urgent film. The rebellion of the teacher and her students are internalised to make a relevant and contemporary movie.
The movie was all set to release on 24 June 2016
- Tannishtha Chatterjee
- Amaan F Khan
- Kaizaad Kotwal
- Joy Sengupta
- Jayati Bhatia
- Vinay Jain
- Farid Currim
- Deepika Amin
Festivals and awards
- New York Indian Film Festival 2015
- Best Feature Film (Indian Film Festival of Houston 2015)
- Special Director’s Award (San Francisco Global Movie Fest)
- Best Story (Washington DC SAFF)
- Best Director Rajasthan International Film Festival 2016
- "Upcoming Project: RoughBook". Aerika Cineworks. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- "Ananth Mahadevan's Rough Book brings Indian education into sharp focus". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- [dead link]
- "Rough Book". IMDb.com. 10 July 2015. Retrieved 6 June 2016 – via IMDb.
- "Anant Mahadevan's Rough Book adjudged Best Feature - Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 6 June 2016.
- "Bengali film Kadambari wins best film award at Washington South Asian Film Festival - The Economic Times". Economictimes.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 6 June 2016.
- "Film on Tagore's sister-in-law wins top award at Washington S. Asian Fillmfest". Indiantelevision.com. Retrieved 6 June 2016.
|This article about a Hindi film of the 2010s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|