Rough Draft Studios
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Founded||March 20, 1991Van Nuys, California, U.S.in|
|Divisions||Rough Draft Korea
Orange Co., Ltd.
Rough Draft Studios, Inc. is an American animation production studio based in Glendale, California, United States, with a second studio in Glendale  and its sister studio Rough Draft Korea located in Seoul, South Korea. Rough Draft Studios was founded in Van Nuys, Los Angeles, California by Gregg Vanzo. The studio produces animation for film and television; including: The Simpsons Movie, Futurama, Great Britain's Full English, Napoleon Dynamite, Sit Down, Shut Up, Drawn Together, Baby Blues, The Maxx, Star Wars: Clone Wars, the Spy vs. Spy shorts on MADtv and others. The Korean studio does work on the aforementioned, as well as shows from other studios, such as The Simpsons, SpongeBob SquarePants, Gravity Falls, Billy Dilley's Super-Duper Subterranean Summer, The Ren & Stimpy Show, Beavis and Butt-head, Dexter's Laboratory, The Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack, Phineas and Ferb, Rocko's Modern Life, and many others.
Rough Draft Studios and its divisions have produced TV series, films, specials, commercials and direct-to-video work for companies such as Warner Bros. Animation, Cartoon Network Studios, 20th Century Fox Television, Nickelodeon Animation Studio, Film Roman, and Disney Television Animation, among others.
Rough Draft Studios was founded in a Van Nuys, Los Angeles, California garage by Gregg Vanzo and his wife Nikki Vanzo. While working on The Ren & Stimpy Show, Nikki Vanzo approached John Kricfalusi, creator of The Ren & Stimpy Show, about taking the animation to Korea. In Korea, Nikki Vanzo founded and runs Rough Draft Korea.
Growth in business
After working on The Ren & Stimpy Show, many other shows requested the assistance of Rough Draft Korea in animation and ink & paint. In 1992, Rough Draft Studios began producing animation for The Simpsons and then for Beavis and Butt-Head in 1993. Also in 1993, Gregg's brother Scott Vanzo was brought on board. Rough Draft Korea quickly built a strong portfolio in the animation business with shows like their first series The Maxx in 1995, which was nominated for an Annie Award. Claudia Katz, who had joined Rough Draft Studios in 1994 to produce The Maxx, and Rich Moore, joining in 1995 after having worked with Gregg on The Simpsons, completed the core of a Rough Draft Studios which would help "drive the cartoon boom of the late ‘90s". It was also in 1995 that Rough Draft Studios moved to Glendale, California.
Rough Draft Studios is known for its blending of 2-D with computer animation, or non-photorealistic rendering which it first used on The Maxx and further utilized with Futurama and The Simpsons Movie.
Rough Draft Studios filmography
This section needs additional citations for verification. (August 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Most projects produced by Rough Draft Studios are animated overseas by Rough Draft Korea.
- RoboCop 3 (1993) - "Johnny Rehab" commercial animation
- Duck Dodgers: Attack of the Drones (2003, Warner Bros. theatrical short)
- The Whizzard of Ow (2003, Warner Bros. theatrical short)
- Inside the CIA (2005) - An American Dad! theatrical short
- The Simpsons Movie (2007, 20th Century Fox, 20th Century Fox Animation and Gracie Films, co-animation with Film Roman)
- Futurama: Bender's Big Score (2007, 20th Century Fox Animation, The Curiosity Company, Comedy Central, and 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment; Direct-to-video)
- Futurama: Bender's Game (2008, 20th Century Fox Animation, The Curiosity Company, Comedy Central, and 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment; Direct-to-video)
- Futurama: The Beast with a Billion Backs - (2008, 20th Century Fox Animation, The Curiosity Company, Comedy Central, and 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment; Direct-to-video)
- The Pink Panther 2 (2009, MGM, Columbia Pictures) - Opening title sequence only
- Futurama: Into the Wild Green Yonder (2009, 20th Century Fox Animation, The Curiosity Company, Comedy Central, and 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment; Direct-to-video)
- How Murray Saved Christmas - (2014) Universal, television film
|Futurama||1999-2003; 2008-2013||Fox (1999-2003)
Comedy Central (2008-2013)
|The Curiosity Company
20th Century Fox Television
|Baby Blues||2000-2002||The WB Network||Warner Bros. Animation|
|Star Wars: Clone Wars||2003-2005||Cartoon Network||Cartoon Network Studios
|CGI animation only|
|Drawn Together||2004-2007||Comedy Central||Double-Hemm Productions|
|Sit Down Shut Up!||2009||Fox||20th Century Fox Television
Sony Pictures Television International
|Good Vibes||2011||MTV||Werner Entertainment
Not the QB Pro.
Warner Horizon Television
|Pilot episode only|
|Napoleon Dynamite||2012||Fox||20th Century Fox Television|
|Full English||2012||Channel 4|
|Disenchantment||TBD||Netflix||The Curiosity Company
The ULULU Company
- The Simpsons "Deep, Deep Trouble" music video (animated by Anivision)
- Spy vs. Spy shorts on MADtv (with Quincy David Jones and Klasky Csupo)
- 2003 Wendy's "Go Wild" commercial starring the Looney Tunes characters, promoting Looney Tunes: Back in Action
- 59th Primetime Emmy Awards - Brian and Stewie Griffin opening number
- Futurama: Worlds of Tomorrow
Rough Draft Korea filmography
Rough Draft Korea, RDS' sister studio based in Korea, has produced overseas animation for the following series, features and specials:
- Achmed Saves America (2012, Anchor Bay Entertainment)
- Beavis and Butt-Head Do America (1996, Paramount Pictures, Geffen Pictures and MTV Films)
- Boo Boo Runs Wild (2000, Cartoon Network Studios and Spümcø)
- A Day in the Life of Ranger Smith (1999, Cartoon Network Studios and Spümcø)
- The Electric Piper (2000, Nickelodeon Animation Studio)
- FernGully: The Last Rainforest (1992, 20th Century Fox)
- The Flintstones: On the Rocks (2001, Cartoon Network Studios and Hanna-Barbera)
- Globehunters (2000, Nickelodeon Animation Studio)
- Hotel Transylvania (2012, Sony Pictures Animation; Title sequence)
- Hotel Transylvania 2 (2015, Sony Pictures Animation; End title sequence)
- Kim Possible Movie: So the Drama (2005, Walt Disney Television Animation)
- Looney Tunes: Rabbits Run (Warner Bros. Animation)
- P. J. Sparkles (Opening titles only)
- Phineas and Ferb's Musical Cliptastic Countdown (2009, Walt Disney Television Animation)
- Phineas and Ferb: Summer Belongs To You! (2010, Walt Disney Television Animation)
- Phineas and Ferb's Musical Cliptastic Countdown Hosted by Kelly Osbourne (2013, Walt Disney Television Animation)
- Polly Pocket: Lunar Eclipse (2003, Mike Young Productions, Mattel Entertainment)
- The Powerpuff Girls Movie (2002, Warner Bros. Pictures and Cartoon Network Studios)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017, Lucasfilm; flashback sequences)
- The Story of Santa Claus
- The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie (2004, Paramount Pictures, United Plankton Pictures, and Nickelodeon Movies)
- The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water - (2015, Paramount Animation, United Plankton Pictures, and Nickelodeon Movies; 2D hand-drawn animated sequences only)
- Stitch! The Movie (2003, Walt Disney Television Animation)
Orange Co., Ltd.
Orange Co., Ltd. is a division of Rough Draft Studios based in Tokyo, Japan which primarily produces CGI animation.
- Accel World
- Active Raid
- Akikan! (2nd key animation)
- Baccano! (2nd key & in-between animation, paint, backgrounds)
- BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad (in-between animation, paint, effects)
- Black Bullet (CGI; animation production)
- Black Lagoon
- Blue Exorcist (in-between animation; paint)
- Buddy Complex (CGI, 2nd key & in-between animation, paint)
- Code:Breaker (CGI; photography)
- Comet Lucifer
- Dimension W (with Studio 3hz)
- Detective Conan (key, 2nd key & in-between animation and paint for several movies)
- Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (production assistance)
- Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F'
- Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone (monitor graphics, Evangelion modeling)
- Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance (monitor graphics, Evangelion modeling)
- F-Zero: GP Legend (in-between animation, paint)
- Future GPX Cyber Formula Saga (in-between animation)
- Ghost in the Shell: Arise
- Heroic Age (episodes 20-25 only)
- Infinite Stratos (CGI design)
- Izetta: The Last Witch
- Kantai Collection
- Knight's & Magic
- Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing
- Love Live! (2nd key & in-between animation; paint)
- Love Live! Sunshine!! (in-between animation; paint)
- Lupin the 3rd vs. Detective Conan (in-between animation)
- Lupin III: The Last Job (2nd key animation)
- Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine (in-between animation; paint)
- Lupin the 3rd vs. Detective Conan: The Movie (in-between animation; paint)
- Lupin the IIIrd: Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone (in-between animation; paint)
- Lupin the Third Part IV (in-between animation; paint)
- Lupin the IIIrd: Goemon Ishikawa's Spray of Blood (in-between animation)
- Macross Frontier (3D Design)
- Martian Successor Nadesico (in-between animation; paint)
- Monster (in-between animation; paint)
- My Little Monster (in-between animation; paint)
- My Monster Secret (2nd key & in-between animation; paint)
- Natsuiro Kiseki
- Neppu Kairiku Bushi Road
- Norn 9
- Orange (in-between animation; paint)
- Project Blue Earth SOS
- Rail Wars!
- Rin-ne (in-between animation and digital paint)
- Rolling Girls
- Shugo Chara! (in-between animation)
- Star Fox Zero: The Battle Begins
- Super Robot Wars Original Generation: Divine Wars
- Super Robot Wars Original Generation: The Inspector (2nd key animation)
- Tiger & Bunny
- Under the Dog
- Yowamushi Pedal (2nd key animation)
- "Studio Info". Rough Draft Studios. Retrieved 2015-12-07.
- Spoke (2011-05-26). "Rough Draft Studios, Glendale, CA". Spoke. Retrieved 2015-12-07.
- "ROUGH DRAFT KOREA CO., LTD. (82-2-571-4871) | South Korea Business Database". Kor.bizdirlib.com. Retrieved 2015-12-07.
- Loos, Ted (November 10, 2002). "Commuting the Pacific, Unseating 'The Simpsons'". The New York Times. p. 2. Retrieved 2008-07-05.
- "Legacy: 23rd Annual Annie Award Nominees and Winners (1995)". International Animated Film Society. Retrieved 2008-07-05.
- Driver, Dustin. "Rough Draft Studios: Drawing Inspiration". Apple. p. 2. Retrieved 2008-07-05.
- "Studio Info". Rough Draft Studios. Retrieved 2015-12-07.
- "Megna Co-productions Database (over 1000 listed titles!!)". Digilander.libero.it. Retrieved 2015-12-07.
- Furniss, Maureen (1999). Art in Motion: Animation Aesthetics (Reprint ed.). London: John Libbey. ISBN 9781864620399. Retrieved 7 December 2015.