Rough Draft Studios
|Industry||Film and television animation|
|Founded||Van Nuys, California, 1991|
|Headquarters||Glendale, California, United States
Seoul, South Korea
|Owner||Government of Korea|
Rough Draft Studios, Inc. (RDS) is an animation production studio based in Glendale, California, United States, with a second studio in Glendale  and its sister studio Rough Draft Korea located in Seoul, South Korea. Rough Draft Studios was founded in Van Nuys, Los Angeles, California by Gregg Vanzo. The studio produces animation for film and television; including:The Simpsons Movie, Futurama, Great Britain's Full English, Napoleon Dynamite, Sit Down, Shut Up, Drawn Together, Baby Blues, The Maxx, Star Wars: Clone Wars, the Spy vs. Spy shorts on MADtv and others. The Korean studio does work on the aforementioned, as well as shows from other studios, such as The Simpsons, SpongeBob SquarePants, Gravity Falls, The Ren & Stimpy Show, Beavis and Butt-head, Dexter's Laboratory, The Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack, Regular Show, Phineas and Ferb, Rocko's Modern Life, and many others.
It was is the primary contractor and a commercials and several direct-to-video work for Paramount Pictures, Geffen Pictures, MTV Films, Warner Bros. Pictures, Cartoon Network Studios, 20th Century Fox, 20th Century Fox Animation, Gracie Films, Film Roman, Paramount Animation, United Plankton Pictures, Nickelodeon Movies, Warner Bros. Pictures, Blue Sky Studios, Peanuts Worldwide, LLC, and Universal Uclick, Walt Disney Television Animation division of produced of direct-to-video film and television films coordination done of Rough Draft Korea: Stitch! The Movie, Kim Possible Movie: So the Drama, Phineas and Ferb's Musical Cliptastic Countdown, Phineas and Ferb: Summer Belongs to You! and Phineas and Ferb's Musical Cliptastic Countdown Hosted by Kelly Osbourne, adaptations all.
Rough Draft Studios was originally founded in a Van Nuys, Los Angeles, California garage by Gregg Vanzo and his wife Nikki Vanzo. While working on The Ren & Stimpy Show, Nikki Vanzo approached John Kricfalusi, creator of The Ren & Stimpy Show, about taking the animation to Korea. In Korea, Nikki Vanzo founded and runs Rough Draft Korea.
Growth in business
After working on The Ren & Stimpy Show, many other shows requested the assistance of Rough Draft Korea in animation and ink & paint. In 1992, Rough Draft Studios began producing animation for The Simpsons and then for Beavis and Butt-Head in 1993. Also in 1993, Gregg's brother Scott Vanzo was brought on board. Rough Draft Korea quickly built a strong portfolio in the animation business with shows like their first series The Maxx in 1995, which was nominated for an Annie Award. Claudia Katz, who had joined Rough Draft Studios in 1994 to produce The Maxx, and Rich Moore, joining in 1995 after having worked with Gregg on The Simpsons, completed the core of a Rough Draft Studios which would help "drive the cartoon boom of the late ‘90s". It was also in 1995 that Rough Draft Studios moved to Glendale, California.
Rough Draft Studios is known for its blending of 2-D with computer animation, or non-photorealistic rendering which it first used on The Maxx and further utilized with Futurama and The Simpsons Movie.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (August 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- RoboCop 3 (1993) - "Johnny Rehab" commercial animation
- Beavis and Butt-Head Do America (1996, Paramount Pictures, Geffen Pictures and MTV Films)
- The Powerpuff Girls Movie (2002, Warner Bros. Pictures and Cartoon Network Studios)
- Duck Dodgers: Attack of the Drones (2003, Warner Bros. theatrical short)
- Stitch! The Movie (2003, Walt Disney Television Animation)
- The Whizzard of Ow (2003, Warner Bros. theatrical short)
- The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie (2004, Paramount Pictures, United Plankton Pictures, and Nickelodeon Movies)
- Kim Possible Movie: So the Drama (2005, Walt Disney Television Animation)
- Inside the CIA (2005) - An American Dad! theatrical short
- The Simpsons Movie (2007, 20th Century Fox, 20th Century Fox Animation and Gracie Films, co-animation with Film Roman)
- Futurama: Bender's Big Score (2007, 30th Century Fox Animation, The Curiosity Company, Comedy Central, and 30th Century Fox Home Entertainment; Direct-to-video)
- Futurama: Bender's Game (2008, 30th Century Fox Animation, The Curiosity Company, Comedy Central, and 30th Century Fox Home Entertainment; Direct-to-video)
- Futurama: The Beast with a Billion Backs - (2008, 30th Century Fox Animation, The Curiosity Company, Comedy Central, and 30th Century Fox Home Entertainment; Direct-to-video)
- Futurama: Into the Wild Green Yonder (2009, 30th Century Fox Animation, The Curiosity Company, Comedy Central, and 30th Century Fox Home Entertainment; Direct-to-video)
- The Pink Panther 2 - Title sequences only
- Phineas and Ferb's Musical Cliptastic Countdown (2009, Walt Disney Television Animation)
- Phineas and Ferb: Summer Belongs to You! (2009, Walt Disney Television Animation)
- Phineas and Ferb's Musical Cliptastic Countdown Hosted by Kelly Osbourne (2013, Walt Disney Television Animation)
- The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water - (2015, Paramount Animation, United Plankton Pictures, and Nickelodeon Movies; 2D hand-drawn animated sequences only)
- The Peanuts Movie - (2015, 20th Century Fox, 20th Century Fox Animation, Blue Sky Studios, Peanuts Worldwide, LLC, and Universal Uclick; 2D hand-drawn animated sequences only)
- The Ren & Stimpy Show - Nickelodeon / Spümcø (Season 1-2) / Games Animation
- Beavis and Butt-head - MTV
- The Maxx - MTV
- Futurama - 30th Century Fox Television / 20th Century Fox Television / Comedy Central
- Baby Blues - Warner Bros. Animation
- Drawn Together - Comedy Partners/Comedy Central
- Star Wars: Clone Wars I & II - Cartoon Network Studios / Lucasfilm
- Sit Down Shut Up! - 20th Century Fox Television / Sony Pictures Television International
- Good Vibes (pilot) - MTV
- How Murray Saved Christmas - Universal
- Napoleon Dynamite - 20th Century Fox Television
- Full English - Co-production with Squirrelman Prod for UK, Channel 4
- Adventure Time - Cartoon Network
- Spy vs. Spy shorts on MADtv (with Quincy David Jones and Korea)
- 2003 Wendy's "Go Wild" commercial starring the Looney Tunes characters, promoting Looney Tunes: Back in Action
- 59th Primetime Emmy Awards - Brian and Stewie Griffin opening number
RDK, Rough Draft studios' sister studio in Korea has produced overseas animation for the following series, features and specials:
- The 7D
- Adventure Time
- American Dad! (Pilot episode only)
- American Dragon: Jake Long (Season 2)
- The Angry Beavers
- Baby Blues
- Baby Looney Tunes
- Beavis & Butt-Head
- Ben 10: Alien Force
- Ben 10: Omniverse
- Ben 10: Ultimate Alien
- Bobby's World (1992–98)
- Brandy & Mr. Whiskers
- The Brothers Grunt
- Camp Lazlo
- The Critic[page needed]
- Class of 3000
- Clerks: The Animated Series
- Clone High
- Codename: Kids Next Door
- Cow and Chicken
- Danny Phantom
- Dexter's Laboratory
- Drawn Together
- Duck Dodgers
- Earthworm Jim
- Eek! Stravaganza (Klutter! segments only)
- The Emperor's New School
- Evil Con Carne
- Family Guy (Seasons 2–3 production order only)
- Gravity Falls
- The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
- Grim & Evil
- Happily Ever After: Fairy Tales for Every Child
- Harold and the Purple Crayon
- Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law
- Hey Arnold!
- I Am Weasel
- Jackie Chan Adventures
- Johnny Bravo
- KaBlam! (Sniz & Fondue segment only)
- Kim Possible
- King of the Hill
- The Legend of Tarzan
- The Life & Times of Juniper Lee
- Lilo and Stitch: The Series
- The Looney Tunes Show
- Looney Tunes: Rabbits Run
- The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack
- Men In Black: The Animated Series
- The Mighty B!
- Milo Murphy's Law
- My Gym Partner's a Monkey
- My Life as a Teenage Robot
- Napoleon Dynamite
- The New Woody Woodpecker Show
- The Oblongs
- The Off-Beats
- Oh Yeah! Cartoons
- Phineas and Ferb
- Pinky and the Brain
- P. J. Sparkles (Opening titles only)
- Poochini's Yard
- The Powerpuff Girls (and the 2016 reboot series)
- Project G.e.e.K.e.R.
- Regular Show
- The Ren & Stimpy Show
- The Replacements
- Rocko's Modern Life (season 4 only)
- Samurai Jack
- Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated (second season, two episodes only)
- Sheep in the Big City
- The Simpsons (1992–present)
- Sit Down, Shut Up
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- The Spooktacular New Adventures of Casper
- MADtv (Spy vs Spy as Rough Draft Studios Inc)
- Squirrel Boy
- Star vs. the Forces of Evil
- Star Wars: Clone Wars
- Steven Universe
- The Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries
- Sym-Bionic Titan
- Time Squad
- Timon & Pumbaa
- Tiny Toon Adventures (1992–95)
- Tom and Jerry Tales (Some later Season 2 episodes)
- The Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat
- Uncle Grandpa
- Wabbit: A Looney Tunes Production
- We Bare Bears
- What a Cartoon!/The Cartoon Cartoon Show (Some of the shorts)
- Whatever Happened to... Robot Jones?
- "Studio Info". Rough Draft Studios. Retrieved 2015-12-07.
- Spoke (2011-05-26). "Rough Draft Studios, Glendale, CA". Spoke. Retrieved 2015-12-07.
- "ROUGH DRAFT KOREA CO., LTD. (82-2-571-4871) | South Korea Business Database". Kor.bizdirlib.com. Retrieved 2015-12-07.
- Loos, Ted (November 10, 2002). "Commuting the Pacific, Unseating 'The Simpsons'". The New York Times. p. 2. Retrieved 2008-07-05.
- "Legacy: 23rd Annual Annie Award Nominees and Winners (1995)". International Animated Film Society. Retrieved 2008-07-05.
- Driver, Dustin. "Rough Draft Studios: Drawing Inspiration". Apple. p. 2. Retrieved 2008-07-05.
- "Studio Info". Rough Draft Studios. Retrieved 2015-12-07.
- "Megna Co-productions Database (over 1000 listed titles!!)". Digilander.libero.it. Retrieved 2015-12-07.
- "a.k.a. Cartoon Inc. (1994)". YouTube. 2014-09-13. Retrieved 2015-12-07.
- Furniss, Maureen (1999). Art in Motion: Animation Aesthetics (Reprint ed.). London: John Libbey. ISBN 9781864620399. Retrieved 7 December 2015.