The Parish Church
|Roughton shown within Norfolk|
|Area||7.23 km2 (2.79 sq mi)|
|Population||934 (parish, 2011 census)|
|• Density||129/km2 (330/sq mi)|
|OS grid reference|
|• London||134 miles (216 km)|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Ambulance||East of England|
|EU Parliament||East of England|
Roughton is a village and a civil parish in the English county of Norfolk. The village is 3.7 miles (6.0 km) south of Cromer, 19.6 miles (31.5 km) north of Norwich and 6.5 miles (10.5 km) north-west of North Walsham. It straddles the A140 between Cromer and Norwich and the B1463.
The village today
Facilities in the village include a church, primary school, public house, village hall, fish and chip shop, play area, garage, windmill and fishing lake.
The Parish Church
The Einstein connection
In September 1933, Albert Einstein was brought to live in a small hut on Roughton Heath after fleeing Nazi Germany. Commander Oliver Locker-Lampson MP offered Einstein a refuge in Norfolk before he travelled to the United States. While here, he was sculpted by Jacob Epstein. A blue plaque commemorating Einstein's stay can be found at the entrance of the New Inn public house in the village. On 7 October 1933, he set sail from Southampton, for a new life in the United States and never returned to Europe.
Disappearance of April Fabb
The nearest railway station is at Roughton Road for the Bittern Line, which runs between Sheringham, Cromer and Norwich. The nearest airport is Norwich International Airport. Sanders provide a regular bus services to Norwich, Sheringham, Cromer and Holt.
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- Village website Retrieved 11 January 2014
- BBC Norfolk: Albert Einstein seeks sanctuary in Norfolk
- Einstein blue plaque Retrieved 11 January 2013
- Einstein on the beach by Alison Boyle, Curator of Astronomy and Modern Physics Science Museum , London, 17 August 2010 , Accessed 31 August 2012
- April Fabb Retrieved 18 March 2012
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Roughton, Norfolk.|