Roundhead is an unincorporated community in southeastern Roundhead Township, Hardin County, Ohio, United States. Although it is unincorporated, it has a post office, with the ZIP code of 43346. Located at an altitude of 1,004 feet (306 m), it sits at the intersection of State Routes 117, 235, and 385, 2¾ mile (4½ km) north of the northeast corner of Indian Lake and 13 miles (24 km) southwest of the city of Kenton, the county seat of Hardin County. Despite Roundhead's proximity to Indian Lake and the Great Miami River, which flows out of it to the Ohio River at Cincinnati, the community is drained by the headwaters of the Scioto River, which meets the Ohio River at Portsmouth.
The first white settlement at Roundhead was made in 1832 on the site of a former Wyandot Indian village. The community is named for the Wyandot chief Roundhead. During its history, the community has also been referred to as "Round Head," "Round Heads," "Round Headstown," and "Roundheads Town." A post office has been in operation at Roundhead since 1837.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Roundhead, Ohio.|
- Zip Code Lookup
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Roundhead, Ohio
- DeLorme. Ohio Atlas & Gazetteer. 7th ed. Yarmouth: DeLorme, 2004, p. 46. ISBN 0-89933-281-1.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- DeLorme. Ohio Atlas & Gazetteer. 7th ed. Yarmouth: DeLorme, 2004, pp. 56, 74. ISBN 0-89933-281-1.
- DeLorme. Ohio Atlas & Gazetteer. 7th ed. Yarmouth: DeLorme, 2004, p. 85. ISBN 0-89933-281-1.
- Kohler, Minnie Ichler (1910). A Twentieth Century History of Hardin County, Ohio: A Narrative Account of Its Historical Progress, Its People and Principal Interests,. Lewis Publishing Company. p. 186.
- The History of Hardin County, Ohio. Warner Beers & Company. 1883. p. 254.
- "Hardin County". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 14 December 2015.
- National Park Service (2009-03-13). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Roundhead Volunteer Fire Department
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Old Roundhead Cemetery
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: New Roundhead Cemetery
|This Hardin County, Ohio state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|