Rhode Island Route 138
|Maintained by RIDOT|
|Length:||48.3 mi (77.7 km)|
|Existed:||1922 (east of Newport)
1932 (west of Newport) – present
|West end:||Route 138 in Voluntown, CT|
| I‑95 in Richmond
US 1 in North Kingstown
Route 24 in Portsmouth
|North end:||Route 138 in Fall River, MA|
Route 138 is a numbered State Highway running 45.2 miles (72.7 km) in Rhode Island. Route 138 begins in Exeter at the Connecticut state line in the west and runs to the Massachusetts state line in Tiverton in the east, and is the only state-numbered route to completely cross Rhode Island. Route 138 also keeps the same route number on the other side of both state lines.
Route 138 is a major thoroughfare in southern Rhode Island. The route ultimately connects Interstate 95 and the University of Rhode Island campus with the island town of Jamestown, the city of Newport, as well as the Tiverton-Little Compton coastal region.
||This article is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (March 2010)|
Route 138 takes the following route through the State:
- Exeter: 0.5 miles (0.80 km); Connecticut State line at Route 138 to Hopkinton town line
- Spring Street
- Hopkinton: 5.2 miles (8.4 km); Exeter town line to Richmond town line
- Spring Street, Nooseneck Hill Road and Main Street
- Richmond: 6.0 miles (9.7 km); Hopkinton town line to South Kingstown town line
- Main Street and Kingstown Road
- South Kingstown: 8.9 miles (14.3 km); Richmond town line to North Kingstown town line
- Usquepaugh Road, Kingstown Road, Moorsefield Road and Tower Hill Road
- North Kingstown: 5.0 miles (8.0 km); South Kingstown town line to Jamestown town line
- Tower Hill Road and Route 138 Expressway
- Jamestown: 3.2 miles (5.1 km); North Kingstown town line to Newport city line
- Route 138 Expressway
- Newport: 1.6 miles (2.6 km); Jamestown town line to Middletown town line
- Route 138 Expressway and Admiral Kalbfus Road
- Middletown: 3.2 miles (5.1 km); Newport city line to Portsmouth town line
- West Main Road and East Main Road
- Portsmouth: 8.5 miles (13.7 km); Middletown town line to Tiverton town line
- East Main Road and Fall River Expressway
- Tiverton: 3.1 miles (5.0 km); Portsmouth town line to Massachusetts State line at Route 138
- Fall River Expressway and Main Road
Before the opening of the Jamestown section of the Route 138 Expressway in 1994, Route 138 came off the Jamestown Bridge and used Eldred Street (which has now been partially cut off by the Expressway) and East Shore Road to the Newport Pell Bridge. As of 2005, there is still a Route 138 reassurance marker northbound on East Shore Road just north of the Newport Pell Bridge.
Prior to the construction of the Route 138 Expressway in North Kingstown, Route 138 used Bridgetown Road east of U.S. 1 in South Kingstown, then north on Route 1A into North Kingstown, then along an access road to the Jamestown-Verrazano Bridge which was upgraded on the spot to the Route 138 Expressway.
There are two abandoned temporary ramps at the west end of the Jamestown Bridge used by through traffic in the early 1990s. These ramps connected through traffic to the old bridge while the new one was being built. The new Jamestown Verrazzano Bridge opened in 1992.
|Washington||Exeter||0.0||0.0||Route 138 west||Continuation into Connecticut|
|Hope Valley||5.6||9.0||Route 3 south (Main Street)||Southern terminus of concurrency with Route 3|
|Wyoming||6.6||10.6||Route 3 north (Main Street)||Northern terminus of concurrency with Route 3|
|7.1||11.4||I‑95 – Providence, Westerly||Exits 3A-B on I-95|
|Richmond||9.1||14.6||Route 112 south (Richmond Townhouse Road)||North end of Route 112|
|West Kingston||14.5||23.3||Route 2 (South County Trail)|
|15.9||25.6||Route 110 south (Ministerial Road)||North end of Route 110|
|Kingston||17.5||28.2||Route 108 south (Kingstown Road)||North end of Route 108|
|South Kingstown||21.0||33.8||US 1 south / Bridgetown Road||Western terminus of concurrency with US 1|
|North Kingstown||23.3||37.5||US 1 north – Providence||Eastern terminus of concurrency with US 1
Western terminus of freeway section
|25.6||41.2||Route 1A – Wickford, Narragansett|
|Narragansett Bay West Passage||26.2–
|Jamestown Verrazzano Bridge|
|Newport||Jamestown||27.8||44.7||Helm Street (east) / Beacon Avenue (west)|
|28.1||45.2||Main Road||Westbound entrance only|
|28.5||45.9||Eldred Avenue||Westbound entrance only|
|29.6||47.6||Conanicus Avenue (east) / East Shore Road (west) – Jamestown|
|Claiborne Pell Newport Bridge
(R.I. E-ZPass $3.17; Cash $4.00)
|Newport||32.4||52.1||Route 238 south – Downtown Newport||North end of Route 238|
|33.1||53.3||Admiral Kalbfus Road west||Eastern terminus of freeway section
East/west designation changes to north/south
|Middletown||34.5||55.5||Route 114 north (West Main Road)||Southern terminus of Route 114|
|34.9||56.2||Route 214 (Valley Road)|
|35.5||57.1||Route 138A south (Aquidneck Avenue)||North end of Route 138A|
|Portsmouth||43.3||69.7||Route 24 south / Boyds Lane – Middletown, Newport||Southern terminus of concurrency with Route 24, exit 2 on Route 24|
|44.8||72.1||Anthony Road (south) / Hummocks Avenue (north) – Common Fence Point||Exit 3 on Route 24|
|Sakonnet River Bridge|
|Tiverton||45.3||72.9||To Route 77 / Route 177 – Tiverton||Exit 4 on Route 24; Closed for construction; Opening in late 2013|
|45.6||73.4||Route 24 north – Fall River, MA, Taunton, MA||Northern terminus of concurrency with Route 24, exit 5 on Route 24|
|45.7||73.5||Route 77 south (Main Road)||North end of Route 77|
|48.3||77.7||Route 138 north – Fall River||Continuation into Massachusetts|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
|Length:||4.1 mi (6.6 km)|
Route 138A is a numbered state highway running 4.1 miles (6.6 km) through Newport and Middletown, Rhode Island. Route 138A is a "scenic route" highway that begins at the intersection of America's Cup Avenue (Route 238) and Memorial Boulevard West, travels through downtown Newport, past the Newport beaches, and north through Middletown where it connects with Route 138.
- In Newport: 1.1 miles—beginning at America's Cup Avenue, along Memorial Boulevard West, and Memorial Boulevard to the Middletown town line.
- In Middletown: 2.5 miles—beginning at the Newport city line, along Aquidneck Avenue to Route 138 (East Main Road).
Most of the streets along Route 138A were built after 1965. Route 138A never represented an old alignment of Route 138.
The entire route is in Newport County.
|Newport||0.0||0.0||Route 238 north (America's Cup Avenue) to Route 138 / I‑95||Northern terminus, south end of Route 238|
|2.0||3.2||Route 214 north (Valley Road)||South end of Route 214|
|3.1||5.0||Green End Avenue|
|4.1||6.6||Route 138 (East Main Road)||Northern terminus|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
Route map: Bing