California State Route 283
SR 283 highlighted in red
|Defined by Streets and Highways Code § 583|
|Maintained by Caltrans|
|Length:||0.356 mi (0.573 km)|
|Existed:||1970 (from US 101) – present|
|South end:||US 101 near Scotia|
|North end:||US 101 in Rio Dell|
State Route 283 (SR 283) is a state highway in the U.S. state of California. Unsigned along its entire length, SR 283 runs from U.S. Route 101 south of Rio Dell to the center of the city and back to U.S. Route 101. The route was defined in 1970 as a transfer from a realigned Route 101.
State Route 283 largely serves as a trunk route into Rio Dell while relegating the maintenance of the Eel River Bridge to Caltrans. The bridge itself was built in 1941, when U.S. Route 101 ran through what was then known as Eagle Prairie. In 1977, the bridge was renamed the Albert Stanwood Murphy Memorial Bridge, in honor of the Pacific Lumber Company president who assisted the Save-the-Redwoods League. In 1990, the bridge was given a second name, the Eagle Prairie Bridge, in honor of the 50th anniversary of the bridge's construction and the 25th anniversary of Rio Dell's incorporation.
Except where prefixed with a letter, postmiles were measured on the road as it was when the route was established, based on the alignment that existed at the time, and do not necessarily reflect current mileage. R reflects a realignment in the route since then, M indicates a second realignment, L refers an overlap due to a correction or change, and T indicates postmiles classified as temporary (for a full list of prefixes, see the list of postmile definitions). Segments that remain unconstructed or have been relinquished to local control may be omitted. The entire route is in Humboldt County.
|||0.00||US 101 – Eureka||Interchange; south end of US 101 Bus. overlap; US 101 exit 679|
|||||Scotia||former US 101 south|
|Rio Dell||0.12||Eel River Bridge over Eel River|
|0.36||Wildwood Avenue - Rio Dell||North end of US 101 Bus. overlap; north end of SR 283|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- California Highways: Unsigned State Route 283
- California Department of Transportation. "State Truck Route List". Sacramento: California Department of Transportation. Archived from the original (XLS file) on June 30, 2015. Retrieved June 30, 2015.
- California Highways Routes 281 through 288
- Federal Highway Administration (March 25, 2015). National Highway System: California (North) (PDF) (Map). Scale not given. Washington, DC: Federal Highway Administration. Retrieved July 22, 2017.
- Natzke, Stefan; Neathery, Mike & Adderly, Kevin (June 20, 2012). "What is the National Highway System?". National Highway System. Washington, DC: Federal Highway Administration. Retrieved July 1, 2012.
- California Department of Transportation (July 2007). "Log of Bridges on State Highways". Sacramento: California Department of Transportation.
- California Department of Transportation, All Traffic Volumes on CSHS, 2005 and 2006
Route map: Google
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to California State Route 283.|