In general surgery, a Roux-en-Y anastomosis, less formally and precisely Roux-en-Y, is a surgically created (end-to-side) anastomosis. Typically, it is between stomach and small bowel that is distal (or further down the gastrointestinal tract) from the cut end.
The name is derived from the surgeon who first described it (César Roux) and the stick-figure representation. Diagramatically, the Roux-en-Y anastomosis looks a little like the letter Y; typically, the two upper limbs of the Y represent (1) the proximal segment of stomach and the distal small bowel it joins with and (2) the blind end that is surgically divided off, and the lower part of the Y is formed by the distal small bowel beyond the anastomosis.
Roux-en-Ys are used in several operations and collectively called Roux operations.
Operations that make use of a Roux-en-Y
- Some gastric bypasses for obesity.
- Roux-en-Y reconstruction following partial or complete gastrectomy for stomach cancer.
- Roux-en-Y hepaticojejunostomy used to treat (macroscopic) bile duct obstruction which may arise due to:
- Roux-en-Y choledochojejunostomy - indications same as Roux-en-Y hepaticojejunostomy.
- Roux-en-Y pancreas transplant 
- Roux-en-Y pancreas reconstruction after blunt abdominal trauma.
- Roux-en-Y hepaticojejunostomy with gastrojejunostomy as palliation for irresectable pancreatic head cancer.
- Roux operation. whonamedit.com. http://www.whonamedit.com/synd.cfm/3724.html. Accessed on: February 7, 2008.
- Surgery to remove stomach cancer. cancerhelp.org.uk. URL: http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/help/default.asp?page=3917. Accessed on: February 7, 2008.
- Lawrence PF. Essentials of general surgery. 3rd Ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 2000. ISBN 0-683-30133-0.
- Shokouh-Amiri H, Zakhary JM, Zibari GB (April 2011). "A novel technique of portal-endocrine and gastric-exocrine drainage in pancreatic transplantation". Journal of the American College of Surgeons 212 (4): 730–8; discussion 738–9. doi:10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2010.12.045. PMID 21463823.
- Segura-Sampedro, JJ; Jiménez-Rodríguez, RM; Martos-Martínez, JM; Padillo-Ruiz, FJ (December 2012). "[Pancreatic rupture and Roux-en-Y reconstruction after abdominal trauma].". Cirugia espanola 90 (10): e39. PMID 22257412.
- van Wagensveld, B. A., Coene, P. P. L. O., van Gulik, T. M., Rauws, E. A. J., Obertop, H. and Gouma, D. J. (October 1997). "Outcome of palliative biliary and gastric bypass surgery for pancreatic head carcinoma in 126 patients". British Journal of Surgery 84 (10): 1402–1406. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2168.1997.02799.x.
- Anastomoses - thefreedictionary.com.
|This surgery article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|