This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Airport type||Public / Military|
|Elevation AMSL||642 ft / 196 m|
Rovaniemi Airport (Finnish: Rovaniemen lentoasema) (IATA: RVN, ICAO: EFRO) is the third busiest airport in Finland, located in Rovaniemi, Finland, about 10 kilometres (6 mi) north of Rovaniemi city centre. The Arctic Circle crosses the runway closer to its northern end.
In 2017, the airport served about 580,000 passengers. The main season of charter traffic from Great Britain and many other European countries lasts from the end of November until the middle of January annually. Russians arrive in January because they celebrate Christmas later.
In addition to civil traffic the runway is also used by F-18 fighter interceptors of Lapin lennosto (Lapland Air Command). The Rovaniemen vartiolentue (Air unit of the Frontier guard of Lapland) is also located nearby.
General aviation operators and private pilot owners are served by the provision of a dedicated fully enclosed and heated hangar with a curved snow-shedding roof located near to the terminal complex.
Rovaniemi Airport is one of three airports in Finland that has jet bridges (the other two being Helsinki-Vantaa Airport and Oulu Airport). The airport is managed by Finavia. It is connected to the Rovaniemi city centre by an airport taxi and there are also multiple bus connections around Lapland, including to major winter sports centers.
Rovaniemi Airport is the third-busiest airport in Finland after Helsinki and Oulu airports. Santa Claus Village and Santa Park are situated within 2–3 kilometres (1.2–1.9 mi). The airport is located approximately 8–9 kilometres (5.0–5.6 mi) away from Rovaniemi City centre, meaning that it is not far away from many restaurants and hotels. The busiest time for the airport is in the Christmas season, when many people go on Santa Flights.
Airlines and destinations
|Aer Lingus||Seasonal charter: Dublin|
|Brussels Airlines||Seasonal charter: Brussels|
|Edelweiss Air||Seasonal charter: Zürich|
|Norwegian Air Shuttle|| Helsinki |
|Israir||Seasonal: Tel Aviv–Ben Gurion|
|Thomas Cook Airlines||Seasonal: Belfast–International, Birmingham, Bristol, Manchester, Leeds Bradford, London–Gatwick, East Midlands, Newcastle, Glasgow|
|TUI Airways||Seasonal: Birmingham, Glasgow, London–Gatwick, Manchester|
|Turkish Airlines||Seasonal: Istanbul (begins 5 December 2019)|
- "AIR TRANSPORT LANDINGS 2017" (PDF). Finavia.fi. Retrieved 27 December 2018.
- "EFRO Rovaniemi" (PDF). AIP Suomi / Finland. Finavia. 30 June 2011. pp. EFRO AD 2.1, 1–14. Archived from the original (PDF) on 27 April 2017. Retrieved 16 July 2011.
- "Santa Holiday Flights". Archived from the original on 16 July 2011. Retrieved 16 July 2011.
- "Visit Santa". visitsanta.ie.
- "New EasyJet route to fly from London to 'official hometown of Santa Claus'". citmagazine.com. 9 August 2018. Retrieved 9 August 2018.
- "Voli Neos da a". Neosair.it. Retrieved 25 December 2018.
- "Norwegian". Media.uk.norwegian.com. Retrieved 25 December 2018.
- "Flight Timetable". tui.co.uk.
- (in Turkish)"THY'nin yeni rotası belli oldu"
- "News&Press Releases - Turkish Airlines ®". Turkishairlines.com. Retrieved 25 December 2018.