|Comune di Rovereto|
Panorama of Rovereto, with Monte Cengialto (on the right)
|Province / Metropolitan city||Trentino (TN)|
|Frazioni||Borgo Sacco, Lizzana, Lizzanella, Marco, Mori Stazione, Noriglio, San Giorgio, Santa Maria, Sant'Ilario|
|• Mayor||Francesco Valduga|
|• Total||50 km2 (20 sq mi)|
|Elevation||204 m (669 ft)|
|Population (31 December 2009)|
|• Density||750/km2 (1,900/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||Saint Mary of the Snow|
|Saint day||5 August|
|This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (June 2008)|
Rovereto was an ancient fortress town standing at the frontier between the bishopric of Trento – an independent state until 1797 – and the republic of Venice, and later between Austrian Tyrol and Italy.
Rovereto is east of Riva del Garda (at the north-western corner of Lake Garda). The town is located at the southern edge of the Italian Alps, near the Dolomites. It is bordered by Monte Cengialto (686m above sea level) to the est.
- The castle, built by the counts of Castelbarco in the 13th–14th centuries, and later enlarged by the Venetians during their rule of Rovereto.
- The Italian War museum (Museo Storico Italiano della Guerra) is located inside the castle. The Italian War Museum was founded in 1921 in remembrance of the First World War and in it are preserved arms and documents relating to wars from the 16th to the 20th centuries.
- The mighty bell Maria Dolens, one of the largest outside Russia and East Asia, and the second-largest swinging bell in the world after the St. Peter's Bell of the Cologne Cathedral. Maria Dolens ("the grieving Virgin Mary") was built under the inspiration of a local priest, between 1918 and 1925, to commemorate the fallen in all wars, and to this day it sounds for the dead every day. Originally a patriotic rather than pacifist idea, it is today regarded as a shrine to peace.
- MART, the Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art of Trento and Rovereto offers temporary exhibitions, educational activities, and has a remarkable permanent collection.
Marco also hosts a large landslide which was mentioned by Dante Alighieri in his Divina Commedia: "Qual è quella ruina che nel fianco di qua da Trento l'Adice percosse, o per tremoto o per sostegno manco" (Inferno, canto XII).
In the past Rovereto was an important centre for the manufacture of silk fabrics. Currently, wine, rubber, chocolate, glasses and coffee are the town's main businesses.
Rovereto is the birthplace (1941) of Sferoflex eyeglasses, now taken over by Luxottica. Other relevant companies located in Rovereto are Marangoni Pneumatici, Sandoz Industrial Products Spa, Cioccolato Cisa, and Metalsistem.
- Armando Aste (born 6 January 1926), influential Italian alpinist of the postwar period
- Gaspare Antonio Cavalcabò Baroni (1682–1759) Baroque painter
- Fortunato Depero (1892-1960), artist
- Valerio Fioravanti (born 28 March 1958), founder of the neo-fascist terrorist group Nuclei Armati Rivoluzionari
- Maria Pia Gardini (1936–2012), entrepreneur and critic of Scientology
- Marco Martinelli (born 1965), a former volleyball player who earned 155 caps for the Italy men's national volleyball team
- Massimo Parziani (born 1992), Motorcycle racer
- Giuliano Pontara (born 1933), professor of philosophy, Stockholm University
- Antonio Rosmini-Serbati (1797–1855), priest and philosopher
- Paolo Seganti (born 20 May 1965), actor, author
- Elena Tonetta (born 1988), archer and 2005 Junior European Champion
- Girolamo Tartarotti (born 1706), author
- Gustavo Venturi (1830–1898), a bryologist whose herbarium is now kept at the Museo Tridentino di Scienze Naturali in Trento.
- Riccardo Zandonai (born 1883), composer
Twin towns – Sister cities
Rovereto is twinned with:
- Giacomoni, Francesco. "la zona industriale vista dal sentiero del Cengialto 686 m. slm and Monte Finonchio (1608 m above sea level) On the west side Rovereto is bordered by Monte Stivo (2059 m)". panoramio.com. Retrieved 17 November 2015.
Media related to Rovereto at Wikimedia Commons
- Official website
- Mart, Museo di Arte Moderna di Trento e Rovereto
- Rovereto Student Forum
- Blog OcchioDiRovereto
- Massa Critica Rovereto
- Italian War Museum in Rovereto
- ViaggiaRovereto(Android Application) -- Implemented as part of SmartCampus project, the research project founded by TrentoRise, UNITN, and FBK