The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for biographies. (December 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||8 June 1962|
|Occupation||Group CEO of Majestic Wine PLC, Founder of nakedwines.com|
|Website||Rowan at Nakedwines.com|
Gormley studied at Selborne College, East London and the University of Cape Town. He trained as an accountant with Arthur Andersen in South Africa for three years before moving to the United Kingdom in 1987 to work in venture capital for Electra Capital Partners.
After leaving Virgin Money, he launched three new start-ups. His first was Orgasmic Wines, with the help of his business partner Laura Knight and his brother Clinton Gormley. The firm became Virgin Wines in 2000 when Richard Branson bought into the business.
Laithwaites subsequently bought Virgin Wines, and Gormley left the company in June 2008.
Gormley set up Naked Wines in December 2008 with eight of the old Virgin Wines team. Naked Wines was launched in the USA and Australia in 2012. On 10 April 2015 Naked Wines was acquired by Majestic Wine and Gormley was appointed CEO of the enlarged group.
Gormley announced his transformation plan for Majestic Wine in November 2015 and set the Group a new goal to achieve £500m annual sales by 2019.
- "Acquisition, CEO appointment and Trading Update - RNS - London Stock Exchange". www.londonstockexchange.com. Retrieved 2017-02-02.
- Thackray, Rachelle (15 September 1999). "My Biggest Mistake: Oh Dell, why did I listen to them?". The Independent. Retrieved 2009-03-16.
- Branson, Richard (1998). Losing My Virginity. Virgin Publishing. ISBN 1-85227-684-3.
- "EDP Power 100, 2007". EDP. 19 June 2007. Archived from the original on 13 February 2009. Retrieved 2009-03-16.
- "Virgin Wines founder "removed from post"". Harpers. 4 July 2008. Retrieved 2009-03-16.
- "Buy wine online | NakedWines.com". www.nakedwines.com. Retrieved 2017-02-02.
- "Naked Wines founder appointed as CEO of enlarged Majestic". Majestic Wine. 10 April 2015. Retrieved 2015-04-10.
- "Interim Results - RNS - London Stock Exchange". www.londonstockexchange.com. Retrieved 2017-02-02.