Rowing at the 1976 Summer Olympics
at the Games of the XXI Olympiad
|Venue||Olympic Basin at Notre Dame Island|
|Competitors||593 (388 men, 205 women) from 31 nations|
|Rowing at the|
1976 Summer Olympics
Rowing at the 1976 Summer Olympics in Montreal featured races in 14 events, all held at the rowing basin on Notre Dame Island. Women's events held at 1000 m debuted (they would be lengthened to the men's events of 2000 m at the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul).
There was a desire by the IOC's program commission to reduce the number of competitors and a number of recommendations were put to the IOC's executive board on 23 February 1973, which were all accepted. Rowing was the only sport where the number of competitors was increased, and women were admitted for the first time in Olympic history. The quad scull events were introduced at this Olympics, without coxswain for men and with coxswain for women.
A total of 593 rowers from 31 nations competed at the Montreal Games:
|1||East Germany (GDR)||9||3||2||14|
|3||Soviet Union (URS)||1||4||4||9|
|6||United States (USA)||0||2||1||3|
|7||Great Britain (GBR)||0||2||0||2|
|8||West Germany (FRG)||0||1||3||4|
|10||New Zealand (NZL)||0||0||1||1|
|Totals (11 nations)||14||14||14||42|
- "Rowing at the 1976 Monteral Summer Games". Sports Reference. Retrieved 23 August 2018.
- Official Report of the Organising Committee 1978, p. 116.
- "Montreal 1976: Rowing". Olympic.org. Retrieved 13 March 2016.
- Evans, Hilary; Gjerde, Arild; Heijmans, Jeroen; Mallon, Bill. "Rowing at the 1976 Montréal Summer Games: Men's Coxed Fours Final Round". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved 16 October 2016.
- Proulx, Daniel; Mollitt, J. James (1969). Chantigny, Louis (ed.). The Official Report of the Organising Committee for the Games of the XXI Olympiad (PDF). Ottawa, Canada: Organizing Committee of the Games of the XXI Olympiad.