St John the Evangelist, Rownhams
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||South East England|
Rownhams is a village in Hampshire, England, situated just outside the boundaries of the City of Southampton, to the north-west. It is in the civil parish of Nursling and Rownhams. Rownhams services is a nearby service station on the M27 motorway that runs to the north of the village.
The village consists of over 1200 homes. Rownhams house, a Georgian mansion, is now a business park and wedding venue, The parish church is St John the Evangelist. There is a community centre, a primary school,, two pre-schools and a hairdressing salon. The village is planned to grow in the next few years[when?] as several planning applications are either in the system or have been approved.
For many years the parish and village has been combined with Nursling and also Toothill, which were once separate independent villages. Hence, for example, the churches are joined in the joint parish of Nursling and Rownhams with one incumbent and run by one parochial church council.
Many of the activities and facilities are shared between Rownhams and Nursling, e.g. Ladies' night, two Brownie packs, a full set of groups of Scouts, a friendship club for "senior residents", Retired Men's Fellowship and a toddler group. Also a badminton club, an amateur astronomers' group, who use an observatory at Toothill, a writers' group, "Coffee Break" - a drop in for anybody home alone, a carer or being cared for in the community, and a dance school.
- "Rownhams House". Rownhams House. Retrieved 25 January 2019.
- "St Boniface & St John's". Twin Spires. Retrieved 25 January 2019.
- "Rownhams St. John's C of E Primary School". Rownhams St. John's C of E Primary School. Retrieved 25 January 2019.
- "Twinning Group". Nursling and Rownhams Parish Council. Retrieved 25 January 2019.
- "21st Romsey Scout Group". 21st Romsey Scout Group. Retrieved 25 January 2019.
- "Solent Amateur Astronomers". Solent Amateur Astronomers. Retrieved 25 January 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rownhams.|
- Nursling and Rownhams History Group Local History in Nursling and Rownhams, Hampshire
- Romsey Local History Society Local History in Romsey and its surrounding area
|This Hampshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|