Roxborough High School
|The Academies at Roxborough High School|
6498 Ridge Avenue|
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19128
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||The School District of Philadelphia|
The Academies at Roxborough High School (commonly referred to as Roxborough High School) is a district-run high school servicing the Roxborough, Manayunk, Chestnut Hill, Wissahickon, Mt. Airy, and Germantown sections of Philadelphia. Roxborough has three academies: The Ninth Grade Academy, The Academy of the Sciences, and The Academy of the Arts. Roxborough High School's (CTEs) include Web Design, Cinematography, International Business, and Biotechnology.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (November 2016)
In 2006 school district officials stated that disorder was not increasing at Roxborough High while some teachers stated that it was.
In 2010 Manayunk resident and Philadelphia School District teacher Keith Newman criticized the school district's handling of the high school, stating that it should not be ranked as "persistently dangerous" since it is in a relatively well-to-do area. At the time he was running for election for a political position.
Roxborough alumnus Stephen Brandt made efforts to turn around the school during his time as principal. The school district had asked him, previously a Norristown School District employee, to help improve the high school. He received the 2013 Lindback Award for Distinguished Principal Leadership. In 2013 Brandt, then the outgoing principal, stated that Dana Jenkins was going to be the new principal.
In 2016 the school received a $1 million grant from the Philadelphia School Partnership.
In 2015 Jenkins stated that the graduation rate was 84%. A 2015 Philadelphia Inquirer article stated that the school, while experiencing issues involving a lack of resources, was one of the best-performing comprehensive high schools in Philadelphia.
Roxborough's catchment includes those zoned to:
- Cook-Wissahickon School
- Dobson School
- Henry School
- Houston School
- John Story Jenks School
- Lingelbach School
- Mifflin School
- Shawmont School
- Roxborough High School Website
- Roxborough High School Website at the Wayback Machine (archive index)
- "Roxborough HS". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved November 11, 2017.
- "High School Directory Fall 2017 Admissions" (Archive). School District of Philadelphia. p. 57/70. Retrieved on November 16, 2016.
- "Roxborough High School: About". Retrieved April 28, 2015.
- "Roxborough High School: CTE Programs". Retrieved April 28, 2015.
- Snyder, Susan (2006-03-17). "Tension at Roxborough High: Teachers say disorder is on the rise. Officials argue it's not". Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- Scally, Bernard J. (2010-05-09). "Candidate Profile - 'A regular guy'". Roxborough Review. Archived from the original on 2016-11-16. Retrieved 2016-11-16. ()
- Scally, Bernard J. (2013-06-14). "New principal named for Roxborough High". Roxborough Review. Retrieved 2016-11-16. (Archive)
- Graham, Kristen A. (2016-10-10). "City school getting $1M". Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved 2016-11-16.
- Graham, Kristen A. (2015-12-08). "Study: Philly comprehensive high schools in trouble". Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved 2016-11-16.
|This Philadelphia-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Pennsylvania school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|