|Roy L. Adler|
Roy Adler, Oberwolfach 1968
|Born||February 22, 1931|
Newark, New Jersey
|Died||July 26, 2016 (aged 85)|
Chappaqua, New York
|Alma mater||Yale University|
|Institutions||Thomas J. Watson Research Center|
|Doctoral advisor||Shizuo Kakutani|
Roy Lee Adler (February 22, 1931 – July 26, 2016) was an American mathematician.
Adler earned his Ph.D. in 1961 from Yale University under the supervision of Shizuo Kakutani (On some algebraic aspects of measure preserving transformations). He then worked as a mathematician for IBM at the Thomas J. Watson Research Center.
Adler studies dynamical systems, ergodic theory, symbolic and topological dynamics and coding theory. The road coloring problem that was solved by Avraham Trakhtman in 2007 came from him, along with L. W. Goodwyn and Benjamin Weiss.
- With Brian Marcus: Topological entropy and equivalence of dynamical systems, American Mathematical Society 1979
- With Benjamin Weiss: Similarity of automorphisms of the torus, Memoirs AMS 1970
- Symbolic dynamics and Markov partitions, Bulletin AMS, volume 35, 1998, pg. 1-57
- With L. W. Goodwyn, B. Weiss: Equivalence of topological Markov shifts, Israel J. Math., volume 27, 1977, pg. 49-63
- With Alan Konheim, M. H. McAndrew Topological Entropy, Transactions AMS, volume 114, 1965, pg. 309-319
- Topological Entropy, in Scholarpedia
- With Charles Tresser, Patrick A. Worfolk Topological conjugacy of linear endomorphisms of the 2-torus, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 349 (1997), 1633–1652
- With B. Weiss Entropy, a complete metric invariant for automorphisms of the torus, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 57 (1967), 1573–1576
- "Biographies of Candidates 1997" (PDF). Notices of the American Mathematical Society. 44 (8): 967. September 1997. Retrieved 2 December 2016.
- "Roy Adler Obituary - Mount Kisco, NY". The New York Times. July 29, 2016. Retrieved 2 December 2016.
- Mathematics Genealogy Project
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2013-11-24.