Roy C. Geary
|Roy C. Geary|
|Born||April 11, 1896|
|Died||February 8, 1983(aged 86)|
|Alma mater||University College Dublin|
Robert (Roy) Charles Geary (April 11, 1896 – February 8, 1983) was an Irish statistician and founder of both the Central Statistics Office and the Economic and Social Research Institute. He held degrees from University College Dublin and the Sorbonne. He lectured in mathematics at University College Southampton (1922–23) and in applied economics at Cambridge University (1946–47). He was a statistician in the Department of Industry and Commerce between 1923 and 1957. The National University of Ireland conferred a Doctorate of Science on him in 1938. He was the founding director of the Central Statistics Office (Ireland) (in 1949). He was head of the National Accounts Branch of the United Nations in New York from 1957 to 1960. He was the founding director of the Economic and Social Research Institute (in 1960) where he stayed till his retirement in 1966. He was an honorary fellow of the American Statistical Association and the Institute of Mathematical Statistics. In 1981, he won the Boyle Medal.
Roy Geary is known for his contributions to the estimation of errors-in-variables models, Geary's C, the Geary–Khamis dollar, the Stone–Geary utility function, and Geary's theorem, which has that if the sample mean is distributed independently of the sample variance, then the population is distributed normally.
- Europe's Future in Figures, North Holland (1962), ASIN: B002RB858E
- Elements of Linear Programming with Economic Applications (with J. E. Spencer), Lubrecht & Cramer Ltd (June 1973), ISBN 0317561367
- Exercises in Mathematical Economics and Econometrics, with Outlines of Theory (with J. E. Spencer), London: Charles Griffin & Co (1987), ISBN 0852642261
- Boyle Medal Laureates Royal Dublin Society
- Qin, Duo (1993). The Formation of Econometrics: A Historical Perspective. New York: Oxford University Press. pp. 86–87. ISBN 0-19-828388-1.
- Geary, R.C. (1936). "The Distribution of the "Student's" Ratio for the Non-Normal Samples". Supplement to the Journal of the Royal Statistical Society. 3 (2): 178–184. doi:10.2307/2983669. JFM 63.1090.03. JSTOR 2983669.
- Laha, R.G. (1953). "On an Extension of Geary's Theorem". Biometrika. 40 (1/2): 228–229. doi:10.1093/biomet/40.1-2.228. MR 0060774. Zbl 0050.36207.
- Roy Geary at Irish Universities at the Wayback Machine (archived April 17, 2005)
- "Robert Charles Geary, 1896–1983". Journal of the Royal Statistical Society. Series A (General). 148 (2): 162. 1985. JSTOR 2981948.
- J.P. Neary (1997), R.C. Geary's Contributions to Economic Theory, in D. Conniffe (ed.), Roy Geary 1896–1983: Irish Statistician, White Oak Press, Dublin at the Wayback Machine (archived March 25, 2005)