|Location||Chichester Range, Pilbara region|
|Company||Hancock Prospecting (70%)
China Steel Corporation (2.5%)
Roy Hill is an iron ore mining project in the Chichester Range in the Pilbara region of Western Australia, located 115 kilometres (71 mi) north of Newman and 277 kilometres (172 mi) south of Port Hedland. With indicated and inferred reserves of more than 2.4 billion tonnes, it is set to become one of the largest mining projects in Australia. Mining operations will produce 55 million tones of iron ore per annum with an operating life of more than 20 years.
Gina Rinehart's Hancock Prospecting is the majority stakeholder in the project with a 70% interest. The remaining 30% stake is held by a consortia comprising POSCO (12.5%), Marubeni (15%), and China Steel Corporation (2.5%). As part of the ownership agreement the various consortia partners have also secured their proportionate share of iron ore production from the Roy Hill Project, representing a combined 16.5Mtpa of iron ore at full production.
Project work commenced in mid-2011 and so far major dredging work of the harbour at South West Creek, within Port Hedland's inner harbour has been completed. Dredging will entail the removal of 7.5 million m3 of material to a depth of 6 metres (20 ft) below the low tide mark, and the construction of two new shipping berths: Stanley 1 and Stanley 2.
Construction of the Ginbata Airport at the mine site and internal mine roads have also been completed, as has clearing of the centre line for the railway. Ginbata Airport is capable of handling 737 aircraft and will be the hub for transporting the fly in, fly out workforce.
A new 344 kilometres (214 mi) 1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) heavy haul, standard gauge railway from the minesite to Port Hedland will be built.  The rail system will deliver five 232-wagon train loads of 32,000 tonnes of ore each per day.
Capital costs to develop the project are estimated to be at least A$7 billion, and the first shipments from the mine are expected in 2015. A permanent village to house 2,000 people is under construction at the mine site.
Cattle station and homestead
Roy Hill homestead is located about 18 kilometres (11 mi) south of the proposed mine site.
The station was established in 1886 by Nat Cooke who owned Mallina Station. Mallina had suffered from several years drought so Cooke was keen to secure new pastures. The first official lease was granted to D. MacKay in 1890 for an area of 20,000 acres (8,094 ha).
The Indigenous inhabitants of the area are the Nyiyaparli People. The Nyiyaparli language is spoken.
- "Roy Hill 1". Hancock Prospecting. Retrieved 1 February 2012.
- SMEC Australia Pty Ltd (2009), Roy Hill 1 iron ore mining project : draft public environmental review. Volume 1, SMEC Australia Pty Ltd, retrieved 1 February 2012
- Chessell, James (18 Jan 2012). "POSCO lifts stake in Hancock's Roy Hill" (PDF). Australian Financial Review.
- Klinger, Peter (19 January 2012). "Ratings agencies endorse Roy Hill" (PDF). West Australian.
- "Environmental protection Act 1986 - Amendment to Works Approval. Premises Roy Hill Iron Ore project Construction Camp" (PDF). Department of Energy and Conservation. p. 4.
- "Roy Hill Ownership".
- "Roy Hill Starts Dredging Operations" (PDF). royhill.com. 2 June 2011.
- Roy Hill 1 iron ore project port infrastructure. Addendum : Mangrove Health Monitoring Plan : surface flow monitoring methodology, Roy Hill Infrastructure Pty Ltd, 2009, retrieved 2 February 2012
- "Hillside south : rail route options for the Roy Hill Iron Ore Mining Project : level 1 flora & vegetation assessment", Animal Plant Mineral Pty Ltd (One Tree Botanical), 2010, retrieved 2 February 2012
- Roy Hill Infrastructure Pty Ltd; Western Australia. Environmental Protection Authority; Australia. Dept. of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts (2010), Roy Hill Infrastructure railway environmental referral document, Roy Hill Infrastructure Pty Ltd, retrieved 2 February 2012
- "Roy Hil Project Receives Special Railway License" (PDF). royhill.com. 5 July 2011.
- Issue 01.02 Western Australian Rail January 2015
- "Roy Hill Station Exclusion" (PDF). Landgate. 2002.
- "Roy Hill Homestead and former Post Office". inHerit. Heritage Council of Western Australia. 8 February 2015. Retrieved 15 December 2015.
- "The North-West". Western Mail (Perth, Western Australia: National Library of Australia). 9 July 1915. p. 18. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "FMG Chichester Pty. Ltd. vs Rinehart & ORS 2010 WAMW7" (PDF). Mining Warden. 21 May 2010. Retrieved 19 October 2013.
- "WESTERN AUSTRALIA NORTH-WEST BRIDGES.". Western Mail (Perth, WA : 1885 - 1954) (Perth, WA: National Library of Australia). 5 September 1929. p. 28. Retrieved 2 February 2012.
- "Roy Hill". Gazetteer of Australia online. Geoscience Australia, Australian Government.
- Roy Hill Iron Ore Mine Images and Info