Roy Miller (footballer)
|Full name||Roy Miller Hernández|
|Date of birth||November 24, 1984|
|Place of birth||Cartago, Costa Rica|
|Height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|New York Red Bulls|
|2009||→ Örgryte (loan)||14||(0)|
|2010–||New York Red Bulls||125||(0)|
|2001||Costa Rica U17||4||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 23:55, 1 June 2015 (UTC).
Miller began his career in the youth ranks of Cartaginés. In 2002 he went on trial with Argentine side Olimpo de Bahía Blanca, but was unable to acclimate himself to the club and returned to Costa Rica.
Miller turned professional with Cartaginés before moving to the north of Norway at Bodø/Glimt along with his compatriot and teammate at Cartaginés, Randall Brenes. He had a successful stay at Bodø/Glimt, appearing in 52 league matches and scoring 6 goals, leading to interest from top Norwegian side Rosenborg.
In February 2008 Miller signed a 3-year long contract with Rosenborg, and quickly established himself as the team's starting left back. A knee injury curtailed his progress with Rosenborg, and upon returning to action, he was loaned out to Örgryte on 28 July 2009. With Örgryte Miller played in the final 14 games of the 2009 Allsvenskan season. Miller was very appreciated by the Örgryte fans.
In January 2010, Miller signed a 2-year long contract with New York Red Bulls of Major League Soccer. On 20 March 2010, Miller started for Red Bulls in a 3–1 victory against Santos FC, which was the first match played at the new Red Bull Arena. Miller made his Major League Soccer debut on 27 March 2010, playing the full 90 in New York's opening game of the 2010 MLS season against Chicago Fire that ended in a 1–0 victory for New York. On October 21, 2010 Miller started for Red Bulls in a 2–0 victory over New England Revolution which clinched the regular season Eastern Conference title.
In December 2013 it was reported that Miller would be returning to Costa Rica to sign with top club Saprissa, however, Miller rejected the clubs offer and decided to renew his contract with New York.
Miller was an unmovable player at youth levels with the Ticos. He played in the 2001 FIFA U-17 World Championship held in Trinidad & Tobago and the qualification rounds for the 2006 FIFA World Cup, he was left out of the squad just a few weeks before the inaugural game's kick off.
Miller made his full debut for the Ticos in 2005 as a substitute against Ecuador, and has since then collected 52 more caps including two in the 2010 World Cup qualification playoffs against Uruguay and one in the 2014 FIFA World Cup.
- Scores and results list. Costa Rica's goal tally first.
|1||8 June 2013||Estadio Nacional de Costa Rica, San José, Costa Rica||Honduras||1–0||1–0||2014 FIFA World Cup qualification|
|2||8 July 2015||StubHub Center, Carson, California||Jamaica||1-1||2-2||2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup|
|Club||Season||Primera División||UNCAF Copa Interclubes||CONCACAF Champions' Cup||Total|
|Club||Season||Tippeligaen||Norwegian Cup||UEFA Europa League||Total|
|Club||Season||Allsvenskan||Svenska Cupen||UEFA Europa League||Total|
|Club||Season||MLS||U.S. Open Cup/MLS Cup||CONCACAF Champions League||Total|
|New York Red Bulls
- Olimpo Roy Miller - enunabaldosa.com (Spanish)
- Rándall Brenes y Roy Miller ligados al futbol de Noruega - Nación (Spanish)
- Roy Miller pasa al Rosenborg - Nación (Spanish)
- Roy Miller deja Noruega y se pasa a Suecia - Nación (Spanish)
- Red Bulls defeat Santos 3-1 - bigapplesoccer.com
- New York defeat Chicago 1-0 -soccernet.espn.go.com
- Red Bulls beat Revs clinch Eastern Conference - mlssoccer.com
- Miller descarta Saprissa y se mantiene en Red Bulls - everardoherrera.com (Spanish)
- Roy Miller – FIFA competition record
- "Mestvinnende" (in Norwegian). Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 4 October 2009.
- MLS player profile
- Roy Miller at National-Football-Teams.com
- (Rosenborg BK profile)
- rbk.no/ (Norwegian)