A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (October 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Education||The Cooper Union School of Art|
|The King (2010), Fire (2011), Crowns (2012), S3 (2015)|
Roy Nachum (born 1979) is an Israeli New York-based contemporary artist working in painting, sculpture, and installation.
Nachum was born in Jerusalem, Israel, and studied at Bezalel Academy of Arts and Design in Jerusalem from 2001 to 2004, and at Cooper Union in New York City from 2004 to 2005. He works in both New York and Italy. Nachum's paintings, installations, and sculptures incorporate elements traditionally used in conceptual and interactive art. A motif Nachum has often used is the image of a child wearing a gold crown that shields his eyes (The King, 2010), suggesting man's blindness caused by displaced values and desire. Nachum uses braille text and ash in his "Fire paintings" (Fire, 2011). The works are made in collaboration with blind people whose fingerprints are left on the work, thus documenting their touch and leaving a trace of human contact.
In 2015, Nachum designed the artwork for Rihanna's eighth studio album Anti. In 2017 he was nominated for the 59th Annual Grammy Awards for Best Recording Package for the art and art direction of Rihanna's platinum album.
Nachum's paintings and art installations can be seen in 1OAK nightclub. The 11-foot sculpture Kings 2016 by the artist, consisting of golden crowns, sits in front of the 5 Franklin Place condo in Tribeca in New York City.
- Winer, Stuart (2015-10-27). "The Jerusalemite who became Rihanna's muse". The Times of Israel. Retrieved 2019-10-13.
- ThomasF. "Original Paintings for sale by artist Roy Nachum". Jacob Gallery. Retrieved 2019-10-13.
- Marielle Anas (2015-10-20). "Rihanna Cover Artist on How He Crafted 'Anti' Imagery". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2019-10-13.
- "Rihanna unveils groundbreaking new album art". Etonline. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- "Rihanna Reveals Album Title & Artwork at Los Angeles". Billboard. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- "Roy Nachum | Artist". www.grammy.com. Retrieved 2019-10-13.
- Cascone, Sarah. "6 Buzz-Worthy Artists on Their Personal Fashion and the Designers Who Influence Their Practice | artnet News". News.artnet.com. Retrieved 2019-10-13.
- "How One Nightclub Defied the Odds to Last a Decade—and Make $250 Million". Bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2018-12-17.
- "Five Things You Should Know About 1 OAK, Now Open in West Hollywood". Los Angeles Magazine. 2014-02-10. Retrieved 2019-10-13.
- Fernandez, Jennifer (2019-04-24). "At Home with Rihanna's Favorite Contemporary Artist". Architectural Digest. Retrieved 2019-10-13.
- "See New York's Most Stunning Public Art Shows This Spring". Artnet. 2017-03-24. Retrieved 2018-12-16.
- "Seen & Heard: Stack of Golden Crowns Installed Outside New Condo Building". Tribeca Citizen. 2017-01-19. Retrieved 2019-10-13.
- Cascone, Sarah. "See New York's Most Stunning Public Art Shows This Spring | artnet News". News.artnet.com. Retrieved 2019-10-13.