|Born||December 8, 1968|
|2019–present||Sacramento Kings (assistant)|
|Career highlights and awards|
Roy Rana (born December 8, 1968) is a Canadian professional basketball coach who is an assistant coach for the Sacramento Kings of the National Basketball Association (NBA). He also serves as head coach of Canada's under-18 and under-19 national teams.
He previously served as the head coach of the Ryerson University men's basketball team.
In 2000, Rana took over the head coaching job at Eastern Commerce Collegiate Institute and "would become one of the most successful high school basketball coaches in Canadian history", according to The Globe and Mail. During his nine-year tenure at Eastern Commerce, Rana guided the Saints to five provincial high school championships and a combined 14 regional and city titles. Under his guidance, Eastern Commerce finished six of his nine seasons as the top-ranked team in Canada. He compiled a record of 256–39 with a winning percentage of 86.7 at Eastern Commerce.
He was named the 2003, 2004, 2006, and 2009 Canadian High School Coach of the Year, and the 2003 Toronto Sun High School Coach of the Year.
Rana was named head coach of Ryerson University men's basketball team in 2009. He took a sabbatical in 2015–16, before returning to the job for the 2016–17 season. In March 2017, Rana led the Rams to their first ever national silver medal. In the 2017–18 season, his team defeated the seven-consecutive National champion Carleton Ravens in the U Sports Final 8 semi-final, which was called the "greatest upset in U Sports basketball history". However, Rana's Rams fell short in the championship game to Calgary.
He served as head coach of the World Select Team at the Nike Hoop Summit every year since 2011. Rana was a guest coach at the NBA Summer League for the Utah Jazz in 2014 and the San Antonio Spurs in 2015.
Serving as assistant coach, Rana was a member of the staff of the Canadian men's national team in 2009.
In 2012, Rana coached the Canadian team to a silver medal at the Nike Global Challenge and the Canada's U18 squad to a bronze medal at the FIBA Americas Under-18 Championship. Under his tutelage, Canada also won silver at the 2014 FIBA Americas Under-18 Championship. In 2015, Rana led Team Canada to a fifth-place finish at the 2015 FIBA Under-19 World Championship; at the time, it was Canada's best result in that age group.
In 2016, he coached Canada's U18 national team to a silver medal at the 2016 FIBA Americas Under-18 Championship.
- "Report: Kings add Canadian coach Roy Rana as assistant - Sportsnet.ca". www.sportsnet.ca. Retrieved 2019-05-29.
- "Roy Rana: Connected To The Homeland". NBA India. 2017-06-03. Retrieved 2017-09-09.
- "Meet the first Indo-Canadian head coach of the national men's basketball team". CBC News. Retrieved 2017-09-09.
- "Ryerson coach stays grounded, despite soaring career". The Globe and Mail. 2011-04-08. Retrieved 2017-09-09.
- "Roy Rana to coach Ryerson Rams | Toronto Star". thestar.com. Retrieved 2017-09-09.
- "Rana to take sabbatical; Tatham to serve as coach". RyersonRams.CA. Retrieved 2017-09-09.
- "Coach Rana returns | Ryersonian.ca". ryersonian.ca. Retrieved 2017-09-09.
- "Rams claim first national silver medal". RyersonRams.CA. Retrieved 2018-05-30.
- "Rams flip script, upset Ravens in national semi". RyersonRams.CA. Retrieved 2018-05-30.
- "Title hopes fall to time as Rams repeat silver in Final 8 against Dinos". RyersonRams.CA. Retrieved 2018-05-30.
- "World Team Announced For Nike Hoop Summit". Retrieved 2017-09-09.
- "Rana guides World Team to win at Nike Hoop Summit". RyersonRams.CA. Retrieved 2018-05-30.
- "Rana joins Utah Jazz for NBA Summer League". RyersonRams.CA. Retrieved 2017-09-09.
- "Rana guest coach with Spurs in NBA Summer League". RyersonRams.CA. Retrieved 2017-09-09.
- "Report: Sacramento Kings add Indo-Canadian coach Roy Rana to Luke Walton's coaching staff". NBA.com India | The official site of the NBA. Retrieved 2019-06-01.
- "Canada beats Italy at under-19s to win first world gold in basketball at any level | Toronto Star". thestar.com. Retrieved 2017-09-09.
- "Roy Rana named Team Canada head coach for upcoming FIBA Americup | Toronto Star". thestar.com. Retrieved 2017-09-09.