Roy Rogers (guitarist)
July 28, 1950 |
Redding, California, United States
|Genres||Rock, blues, blues rock, country|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, record producer|
|Associated acts||John Lee Hooker's Coast to Coast Band, Roy Rogers & the Delta Rhythm Kings, Roy Rogers & Norton Buffalo, The Manzarek-Rogers Band.|
Roy Rogers (born July 28, 1950, Redding, California, United States) is an American blues rock slide guitarist and record producer. He was named after the singing cowboy. Rogers plays a variety of guitar styles related to the Delta blues, but is most often recognized for his virtuoso slide work.
In the 1980s Rogers was a member of John Lee Hooker's Coast to Coast Band. Rogers produced four John Lee Hooker recordings- "The Healer", a Grammy winner, "Mr. Lucky", "Boom Boom" and "Chill Out." He also produced two Grammy nominated recordings for Ramblin' Jack Elliott entitled "Friends of Mine" and "A Long Ride". Roy also co-wrote "Gnawnin' On It" which was nominated for 'Best Female Rock Vocal for Bonnie Raitt', a long-time friend and collaborator.
Rogers has performed and/or recorded with for a diverse spectrum of artists including Linda Ronstadt, Sammy Hagar, Bonnie Raitt, Zucchero, John Gorka and Ramblin' Jack Elliott, Elvin Bishop, Carlos Santana, Steve Miller, and Ray Manzarek. Since 1980, Rogers has also fronted his own trio, The Delta Rhythm Kings. In 2003, Roger's own Slideways reached number 3 on Billboard's 'Split Decision' also charted in 2009. chart for "Top Blues Albums." He has also been nominated for 'Best Blues Guitar Instrumentalist" by The Blues Foundation. Other awards include those from France and Australia with long-time friend Norton Buffalo. His most recent release is his first solo album in five years, titled 'Into The Wild Blue', released by Chops Not Chaps Records in June 2015. His releases have been received worldwide, as he has been touring Europe, Brazil, Australia, and Scandinavia since 1982.
- Rogers And Burgin: A Foot In The Door (1978 Waterhouse Records)
- Chops Not Chaps (1986, Blind Pig Records)
- Slidewinder (1988, Blind Pig Records)
- Blues on the Range (1989, Blind Pig Records)
- R&B with Norton Buffalo (1991, Blind Pig Records)
- Slidewinder (1992, Blind Pig Records)
- Travellin' Tracks with Norton Buffalo (1992, Blind Pig Records)
- Slide of Hand (1993, Liberty)
- Slide Zone (1994, Capitol)
- Rhythm & Groove (1996, Pointblank)
- Pleasure & Pain (1998, Pointblank)
- Everybody's Angel (1999, Roshan)
- Slideways (2002, Evidence)
- Roots of Our Nature with Norton Buffalo (2002, Blind Pig Records)
- Live! At The Sierra Nevada Brewery Big Room (2004, Chops Not Chaps)
- Slide Guitar For Rock & Blues (2005, Chops Not Chaps)
- Crossing with Reidar Larsen (2006, Chops Not Chaps)
- The Best of Two – Slide Zone and Slide of Hand (2007, Chops Not Chaps)
- Ballads Before The Rain (with Ray Manzarek) (2008, Friday Music)
- Split Decision (2009, Blind Pig Records)
- Translucent Blues (with Ray Manzarek) (2011, Blind Pig Records)
- Twisted Tales (with Ray Manzarek) (2013, Chops Not Chaps)
- Into The Wild Blue (2015, Chops Not Chaps)
- "Roy Rogers – The Slide Zone" – official web site
-  - Roy Rogers Official Facebook page
-  - Roy Rogers on iTunes
-  - Roy Rogers and Bonnie Raitt, Gnawin' On It
- Du Noyer, Paul (2003). The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Music (1st ed.). Fulham, London: Flame Tree Publishing. p. 181. ISBN 1-904041-96-5.
- Jeff Kaliss, "Rhythm royalty: Guitarist Roy Rogers and the Delta Rhythm Kings celebrate 25 years of the blues", San Francisco Chronicle, March 18, 2005
- "Biography: Roy Rogers", Allmusic (accessed March 22, 2007)
- Russell, Tony (1997). The Blues – From Robert Johnson to Robert Cray. Dubai: Carlton Books Limited. pp. 161–63. ISBN 1-85868-255-X.