Roy Wilkins Auditorium
A Minnesota RollerGirls game in Roy Wilkins Auditorium
|Former names||St. Paul Auditorium (1932–1985)|
|Location||175 W. Kellogg Blvd.|
St. Paul, Minnesota
|Operator||Minnesota Sports & Entertainment|
|Architect||Clarence W. Wigington|
|Minnesota Golden Gophers (NCAA) (1932–1950)|
St. Paul Lights (NPBL) (1950–1951)
Minnesota State Boys' High School Hockey Tournament (MSHSL) (1945–1968)
Minnesota Fighting Saints (WHA) (1972)
St. Paul Slam! (IBA) (1996–1998)
Minnesota RollerGirls (WFTDA) (2005–present)
Minnesota Ripknees (ABA) (2007–2008)
Roy Wilkins Auditorium is a 5,000-seat multi-purpose arena in St. Paul, Minnesota. Designed by the renowned municipal architect Clarence W. Wigington, it was built in 1932 as the St. Paul Auditorium and was renamed for Roy Wilkins in 1985. It is part of the RiverCentre complex, down the hall from the Xcel Energy Center, home of the National Hockey League's Minnesota Wild.
The University of Minnesota's Golden Gophers ice hockey team used the arena as one of its home rinks from 1932 until 1950. The Minneapolis Lakers used the Auditorium when their regular home, the Minneapolis Auditorium, was not available. The Minnesota State Boys' High School Hockey Tournament was held at the Auditorium from 1945 to 1968. It was home to the Minnesota Fighting Saints ice hockey team of the World Hockey Association (WHA) in fall 1972, before the team moved to the St. Paul Civic Center. The St. Paul Slam of the International Basketball Association played at Wilkins for two seasons, 1996-97 and 1997-98. The Minnesota Ripknees also played at the auditorium for their 2007-08 season.
Since 2005, Roy Wilkins Auditorium hosts the Minnesota RollerGirls roller derby league, one of the founding members of the Women's Flat Track Derby Association (WFTDA). The WFTDA held the 2015 WFTDA Championships at Roy Wilkins Auditorium November 6-8, 2015.
- "RiverCentre, Xcel Energy Center Score Sustainability Hat Trick". Minnesota Wild. 4 December 2014. Retrieved 18 July 2015.
- Rippel, Joel A.;; Hartman, Sid (2003). 75 memorable moments in Minnesota sports. St. Paul, Minn.: Minnesota Historical Society Press. p. 99. ISBN 978-0873514750. Retrieved 18 July 2015.
- Raider, Adam (2014). Frozen in time : a minnesota north stars history. [S.l.]: Univ Of Nebraska Press. p. 190. ISBN 978-0803249981. Retrieved 18 July 2015.
- "Tickets & Parking: Minnesota RollerGirls". Minnesota RollerGirls. Retrieved 31 May 2016.
- "WFTDA Championships Saint Paul, MN Nov 6-8". WFTDA. Retrieved 18 July 2015.
- "Photos: Jamming for the title of world's best derby team". Minnesota Public Radio. 10 November 2015. Retrieved 19 November 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Roy Wilkins Auditorium.|