Roy Wilkins Auditorium
A Minnesota RollerGirls bout in Roy Wilkins Auditorium
|Former names||St. Paul Auditorium|
|Location||175 W. Kellogg Blvd.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
|Operator||Minnesota Sports & Entertainment|
|Architect||Clarence W. Wigington|
|Minnesota RollerGirls (WFTDA)|
Roy Wilkins Auditorium is a 5,000-seat multi-purpose arena in St. Paul, Minnesota, United States. Designed by the renowned African-American municipal architect Clarence W. Wigington, it was built in 1932 as the St. Paul Auditorium and was renamed for Roy Wilkins in 1985. It is part of the RiverCentre complex, down the hall from the Xcel Energy Center, home of the National Hockey League's Minnesota Wild.
The University of Minnesota's Golden Gophers ice hockey team used the arena as one of its home rinks from the 1930s until 1950. The Minneapolis Lakers used the Auditorium when their regular home, the Minneapolis Auditorium, was not available. The Minnesota State Boys' High School Hockey Tournament was held at the Auditorium from 1945 to 1968. It was home to the Minnesota Fighting Saints ice hockey team of the World Hockey Association (WHA) in fall 1972, before it moved to the St. Paul Civic Center. The St. Paul Slam of the International Basketball Association played at Wilkins for two seasons, 1996-97 and 1997-98.
Since 2005, and continuing as of 2015, Roy Wilkins Auditorium hosts the Minnesota RollerGirls roller derby league, one of the founding members of the Women's Flat Track Derby Association (WFTDA). The WFTDA will be holding the 2015 WFTDA Championships at Roy Wilkins Auditorium November 6-8, 2015.
- "RiverCentre, Xcel Energy Center Score Sustainability Hat Trick". Minnesota Wild. 4 December 2014. Retrieved 18 July 2015.
- Rippel, Joel A.;; Hartman, Sid (2003). 75 memorable moments in Minnesota sports. St. Paul, Minn.: Minnesota Historical Society Press. p. 99. ISBN 978-0873514750. Retrieved 18 July 2015.
- Raider, Adam (2014). Frozen in time : a minnesota north stars history. [S.l.]: Univ Of Nebraska Press. p. 190. ISBN 978-0803249981. Retrieved 18 July 2015.
- "Tickets & Parking: Minnesota RollerGirls". Minnesota RollerGirls. Retrieved 8 April 2014.
- "WFTDA Championships Saint Paul, MN Nov 6-8". WFTDA. Retrieved 18 July 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Roy Wilkins Auditorium.|