Bolton NHS Foundation Trust
|Bolton NHS Foundation Trust|
|Location||Farnworth, Greater Manchester, England|
|Funding||NHS foundation trust|
The Bolton NHS Foundation Trust is based in the town of Farnworth, near Bolton, in Greater Manchester (Previously based just outside the town centre opposite Queens Park). It provides NHS health care services for the people in the Metropolitan Borough of Bolton and surrounding areas. Prior to its acquisition of Foundation Trust status in October 2008, the trust was known as Bolton Hospitals NHS Trust. Bolton Hospitals integrated with some of the community services which were formerly part of Bolton Primary Care Trust in July 2011 to form Bolton NHS Foundation Trust.
It was named by the Health Service Journal as one of the top hundred NHS trusts to work for in 2015. At that time it had 4554 full-time equivalent staff and a sickness absence rate of 5.08%. 64% of staff recommend it as a place for treatment and 56% recommended it as a place to work.
Other NHS Trusts on-site
Mental health services are provided by Greater Manchester West Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust on the Royal Bolton Hospital site, and include wards K1-3, Maple House (Psychiatric Intensive Care), Hazelwood, Redwood and Hawthorn House.
Additionally, Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust maintains a Renal Dialysis Unit on the hospital site.
Making It Better
Under the "Making it Better" development plan for Greater Manchester's hospitals, the Royal Bolton Hospital has become one of the three sites to have specialised paediatric and neonatal services.
Royal Bolton Hospital
The Royal Bolton Hospital is one of the busiest NHS hospitals in the North West and the busiest in Greater Manchester, having over 32,000 admissions in 2007-08 year.
- A4 - Acute Stroke Unit (ASU)
- B1 - Winter Pressures ward (short stay)
- B2 - complex care (mixed)
- B3/B4 - Complex Care / Endocrine
- C1 - Cardiology and Coronary Care Unit (CCU)
- C2 - Complex Care and haematology
- C3 - Gastroeneterology
- C4 - Complex care/stroke
- D1/D2 - Acute Medical Assessment Unit (AMRU)
- D3/D4 - Respiratory Medicine
- E3/E4 - General Surgery
- E5 - Paediatric
- F3 - Surgical Assessment Unit (SAU)
- F4 - Orthopaedics/Urology
- F5 - Breast Surgery/ENT
- F6 - Elective Surgery/High Dependency Unit (HDU)
- G3 - Orthopaedics/Trauma Stabilisation Unit (TSU)
- G4 - Orthopaedics
- G5 - Paediatric Assessment Unit/Paediatric Surgery
- G6 - Intensive Care Unit (ICU)
- H1 - Women's Health Unit
- H2 - Ophthalmology/Day Surgery
- H3 - Stroke Rehab
- J1 - 65+ psychiatric ward
- J2 - 65+ psychiatric ward
- K1 - Psychiatric ward
- K2 - Psychiatric ward
- K3 - Psychiatric ward
- Linden Ward - (Formally Redwood & Hawthorn House) Mixed female and male dementia ward
- Maple House - Psychiatric intensive care unit ward
- M1 - Gynaecology
- M2 - Ante-Natal Unit
- M3-M6 - Obstetrics & Maternity
Other facilities at the Royal Bolton Hospital include:
- Accident and Emergency (incorporating Children's A&E)
- Bolton Breast Unit (which covers Bolton, Bury and parts of Wigan)
- Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)
- Endoscopy (including dedicated Bowel Cancer Screening unit)
- Pathology; including Haematology, Microbiology and Clinical Biochemistry
In December 2014 it was reported that the hospital had a serious backlog of maintenance problems, amounting to £24.6 million, without which the crumbling concrete structural floor supports under a urology operating theatre could give way - with "dire" consequences. The trust applied for £30 million to upgrade its premises and redesign its information technology in May 2015. The heating and air conditioning systems had reached the end of their useful life. It was given a loan of £22.5 million and a grant of £7.5 million in September 2015.
The Trust is an Associated Teaching Hospital allied to Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust, and contributes to the training of medical students from The University of Manchester.
A large number of nursing students from the University of Salford train at Bolton in each of the Adult, Child and Mental Health disclipines.
A small cohort of student radiographers from the University of Salford are also based at this trust.
- "HSJ reveals the best places to work in 2015". Health Service Journal. 7 July 2015. Retrieved 23 September 2015.
- Best For Health website Archived February 20, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- About the Trust Archived July 15, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Operating theatre floor at risk of collapse at Royal Bolton Hospital, report reveals". Bolton News. 13 December 2014. Retrieved 13 December 2014.
- "North West trust seeks £30m from DH for IT and air con". Health Service Journal. 29 May 2015. Retrieved 27 June 2015.
- "FT secures £30m to upgrade IT system and A&E". Health Service Journal. 23 September 2015. Retrieved 1 November 2015.