Royal Cornwall Show
The Royal Cornwall Agricultural Show, usually called the Royal Cornwall Show, is an agricultural show organised by the Royal Cornwall Agricultural Association, which takes place at the beginning of June each year, at Wadebridge in north Cornwall, England, United Kingdom. The showground is on the south side of the A39 main road and between the hamlets of St Breock and Whitecross.
The show lasts for three days and attracts approximately 120,000 visitors annually, making it one of Cornwall's major tourist attractions.
Given its Royal status it is not unusual for a senior member of the Royal family to attend at the Show. A familiar sight is Prince Charles who is acknowledged to be a keen supporter of the farming community. Princess Alexandra attended the 2009 show.
The Royal Cornwall Agricultural Association was founded in 1793, and has been known by that name since 1858.
- 1827 to 1857 – Truro
- 1875 – Truro, 24,000 attendance for the two-day show
- 1878 – Saltash, 13,394 attendance for the two-day show
- 1879 – Falmouth, 18,926 attendance for the two-day show (12,414 paid for admission)
- 1880 – Lostwithiel (Lanwithan estate), 9,188 paid for admission to the two day show.
- 1960 to 2016 – Wadebridge
Most major businesses with links to agriculture will have a trade stand at the show. Given the number of farming people at the venue it is regarded as a vital opportunity to attract new business as well as to network with current customers.
The show is particularly significant for young people who live in farming communities in Cornwall. It is regarded as one of the highlights of the year and as an opportunity to socialise with old friends and make new acquaintances. Events include:
- Judging of cattle, sheep, horses, goats and various other domestic animals
- Sheepdog trials
- Riding competitions
- Driving displays
- Games and sports
- Craft show
- Live music
- The culmination of the county cup for the Cornwall Young Farmers' Club.
- Ordnance Survey Landranger 200; Newquay, Bodmin & surrounding areas, 1:50 000. 1988
- Royal Cornwall Agricultural Association
- "The Decorations of Falmouth". The Cornishman (48). 12 June 1879. p. 4.
- "The Royal Cornwall Agricultural Society". The Cornishman (49). 19 June 1879. p. 7.
- "The County". The Cornishman (102). 24 June 1880. p. 7.
- "Royal Cornwall Agricultural Society". The Cornishman (99). 3 June 1880. p. 6.