Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital
|Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital|
|Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust|
Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, Wonford
|Location||Wonford and Heavitree both in Exeter, Devon, England, United Kingdom|
|Affiliated university||Peninsula Medical School|
|Emergency department||Yes, Accident & Emergency|
|Beds||797 inpatient beds and 80 day case beds|
The Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (commonly referred to as RD&E), is a large teaching hospital situated in Exeter, Devon, England. The hospital has two sites, Wonford and Heavitree. and is part of the Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust.
The hospital is used for clinical training of medical students from the Peninsula Medical School which is maintained by the University of Plymouth and the University of Exeter. It will also be one of the main sites for clinical placements for the new University of Exeter medical school, which takes its first students in 2013.
Alured Clarke, the newly appointed Dean of Exeter, had helped with the establishment of a cottage hospital in Winchester (it has since become the Royal Hampshire County Hospital) and proposed the idea to local gentlemen. Through their funding, construction was completed and the hospital opened in 1743. In 1899, George V, then the Duke of York, and his wife visited the hospital and granted it permission to use the "Royal" title. Despite the city being regularly subjected to air raids during World War II, the hospital escaped damage. In 1948 it became part of the newly formed NHS. In 1985 the building was found to have concrete cancer. The new and current buildings were built over several phases, with the first two phases being completed during the 1990s, Peninsula Medical School opening in 2004 and a new maternity and gynaecology unit opening at Wonford in 2007.
- Luke Treadaway and Harry Treadaway (both born 1984) - actors
- Bradley James - Actor (Best known for his role as King Arthur (Previously Prince Arthur) in TV Series Merlin)
- Tristan Evans Born 1994 - Drummer in The Vamps (British band)
- "RD&E NHS FT - About the Trust". Rdehospital.nhs.uk. Retrieved 14 August 2016.
- David Cornforth. "The Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital". Exeter Memories. Retrieved 14 August 2016.
- "Emergency Medicine F1 Foundation Programme". Rdehospital.nhs.uk. Retrieved 14 August 2016.
- "Getting to the RD&E NHS FT". Rdehospital.nhs.uk. Retrieved 14 August 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital.|
- History of the hospital
- Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust
- The Peninsula College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) Site Summary Information on the www.nhs.uk website
- Patient services available (with waiting times) at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital