|Also known as||Royal Djs.|
|Labels||Tigers And Tomatoes Recordings, Ultra Records, Kontor Records|
Royal Gigolos were a German pumptech group, formed in late 2003 and dissolved in 2008 by the producers DJ Tyson and DJ Kosmonova with the vocalists Melanie and Jay, and later after 2008 with Lauren Dyson and Thorsten Kaiser. The group released successful dance cover versions of pop rock songs including "California Dreamin'" and "No Milk Today".
Both Tyson and Kosmonova were already working on single projects in the early 2000s when they decided to launch an act. At the time both DJs were already widely known in France and Germany. A rumour states that in 2002 Tyson visited Italy and gave several performances alongside Benny Benassi, who taught him the side-chaining technique for producing his lead synth and bass (commonly listened in many pump up - tech songs in the age, such as Global Deejays productions). Tyson then listened to some of Kosmonova's lead synths & basses and proposed to him to incorporate the technique.
At a party in September 2003 was the birth of the Royal Gigolos. The vocalists Melanie and Jay and DJ/producer Tyson came together and discovered that they shared the same enthusiasm on the classic tunes of 1966, "California Dreaming" by The Mamas & The Papas. A clamping session happened that night and what ultimately led to a date in the studio where Mel and Jay sang the lyrics to "California Dreaming" to DJ Tyson beats. It took incredibly short time to produce hit number in almost every German dance chart (e.g. ODC, PDB, DMC and so on). But that was only the beginning of a unique success story. Only four weeks to mark Royal Gigolos on her debut single, had been found in every country in the world. "California Dreaming" became number one in the national dance and club charts in over twenty countries (e.g. Russia, Ukraine, Hungary, all Scandinavia, the Netherlands, France and Canada) and even reached the charts of radio and sales.
In France and Belgium "California Dreaming" climbed to number two in the single charts and only O-Zone's smash hit of the year, "Dragostea Din Tei", kept it from reaching the top position. The Royal Gigolos Mel, Jay and Tyson were supported by the dancer Kristian and DJ Mike Moore. In the beginning Melanie was on stage only with Kristian because Jay - due to his final exam - wasn't able to present the act the way he wanted. Mike Moore and Tyson went on to a large club tour and delighted fans all over the world with their DJ sets. Countless shows took place in 2004, the Royal Gigolos went to Eastern Europe for several times, to France and Belgium and even in Mexico-City three thousand enthused fans partied to the sound of the Royal Gigolos. The success story continued with the second single "No milk today". It entered the Top Five in various dance and sales charts worldwide. Meanwhile Jay had passed his exam and replaced Kristian on stage while Mike Moore left the group to occupy with other projects. With the double A-side "Self control / Somebody's watching me" the next rocket is about to launch. Based on Laura Branigan's and Rockwell's numbers the Royal Gigolos have produced another high quality club number. Within a few weeks after the vinyl-promotion the title has become number one in almost every German dance chart.
In December 2010 Royal Gigolos was titled with a new name Royal DJs relaunching its former success, California dreaming.
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|From California To My Heart||
|Year||Single||Peak chart positions||Album|
|2004||"California Dreamin'"||85||—||35||17||19||2||27||24||17||44||Musique Deluxe|
|"No Milk Today"||—||—||48||19||11||15||—||—||60||—|
|"Somebody's Watching Me"||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|2006||"Tell It To My Heart"||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||From California To My Heart|
|2008||"Girls Just Wanna Dance"||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||Single Only|
- 2004 : DJ Thoka* vs DJ Taylor - "Happy Song"
- 2004 : Dave Armstrong - "Make Your Move"
- 2004 : Bomfunk MC's - "No Way In Hell"
- 2005 : Laura Branigan - "Self Control 2005"
- 2005 : Potatoheadz - "Narcotic"
- 2005 : Mike MH-4 - "Electrica Salsa"
- 2005 : DJ Tyson vs Village People - "YMCA 2005"
- 2006 : Kelly Llorenna - "Tell It To My Heart"
- 2006 : Nimbus - "Ritmo De La Noche"
- 2006 : Lazard - "Your Heart Keeps Burning"
- 2007 : "Why Did You Do It (The Comfort Zone)" (Gigi d'Agostino sampler)
- 2007 : P!nk - "Get the Party Started"
- 2007 : "Girls Just Wanna Dance" (Cindy Lauper "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" sampler) (Witney Houston "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" cover)
- 2008 : Hightower - "Tonight"
- 2008 : Urszula Dudziak - "Papaya"
- 2008 : Shana Vanguarde - "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)" (Royal Gigolos Club Mix)
- "Charts.de:Royal Gigolos" (in German). Charts.de. Media Control. Retrieved 2013-11-13.
- "lescharts.com:Royal Gigolos". lescharts.com Media Control. Retrieved 2013-11-13.
- "Musique Deluxe Album". Discogs. Retrieved 2013-11-13.
- "From California To My Heart Album". Discogs. Retrieved 2013-11-13.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts - German Singles". Hung Medien. Retrieved 2013-11-13.
- "Royal Gigolos in der Österreichischen charts" (in German). austriancharts.at. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2013-11-13.
- "Ultratop Belgian Charts". Ultratop.be. ULTRATOP & Hung Medien / hitparade.ch. Retrieved 2013-11-13.
- "Royal Gigolos in the Danish charts". danishcharts.com Hung Medien. Retrieved 2013-11-13.
- "Royal Gigolos in the Finnish charts". finnishcharts.com Hung Medien. Retrieved 2013-11-13.
- "French Charts". lescharts.com. Retrieved 2013-11-13.
- "The Irish Charts". IRMA 2006 - 2008. Retrieved 2013-11-13.
- "dutchcharts.nl - Dutch charts portal". Hung Medien. Retrieved 2013-11-13.
- "Hitparade.ch: Royal Gigolos (singles)" (in German). Hitparade.ch. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2013-11-13.
- "Chart Stats - Royal Gigolos". chartstats.com. Retrieved 2013-11-13.
|This article about a German band or other musical ensemble is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|