This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Also known as||DJ Thoka|
|Labels||Tigers And Tomatoes Recordings, Ultra Records, Kontor Records|
Royal Gigolos were a German pumptech group, formed in late 2003 and dissolved in 2008 by the producers DJ Tyson and DJ Kosmonova with the vocalists Melanie and Jay, and later after 2008 with Lauren Dyson and Thorsten Kaiser. The group released successful dance cover versions of pop rock songs including "California Dreamin'" and "No Milk Today".
It was more than a fluke that a party in December 2003 was the birth of the Royal Gigolos, because out of a funny jamsession arises „California Dreaming“, which evolved to a mega-selling track in January 2004.
Two weeks after the release of „California Dreamin“ the production hit the number one spot in almost every German dance chart and after only four weeks labels for the Royal Gigolos’ debut single had been found in each country of the world where music is being published. The track became number one in the national dance and club charts in more than twenty countries (for example Russia, the Ukraine, Hungary, all of Scandinavia, the Netherlands, France and Canada) and even reached the radio and sales charts. In France and Belgium “California Dreaming” climbed to number two in the single charts and only O-Zone’s smash hit of the year, “Dragostea Din Tei”, kept it from reaching the top position.
Countless shows took place in 2004 and 2005, the Royal Gigolos went to Eastern Europe for several times, to France and Belgium and even in Mexico-City three thousand enthused fans partied to the sound of the Royal Gigolos.
The success story continued with the second single “No milk today”. It entered the Top Five in various dance and sales charts worldwide. And with the third single release, the double A-side “Self control / Somebody’s watching me” the next rocket was about to launch. Based on Laura Branigan’s and Rockwell’s numbers the Royal Gigolos produced another high quality club number. Within a few weeks after the vinyl-promotion the title has become number one in almost every German dance chart and had big international success. And the additional album release “Musique Deluxe” evolved to a success story in many countries. At this time the producer & DJ Mike Tyson left the group to concentrate on his solo projects DJ Tyson and Kosmonova. But this didn`t stop the success of the “Gigolos”.
After their third hit single “Tell It To My Heart”, which is the first out of the upcoming second album, the Royal Gigolos are presenting a new face, the singer Layla. Melanie, the former singer, wants to pursue new opportunities. The English Layla especially satisfies live performances with her fantastic voice, her fresh charisma and her energy, which truly fascinates everyone, who sees her on stage. Together with DJ Thoka, the producer of the “Tell It To My Heart” they present a fantastic, worldwide successful show.
The next single “Girls Just Wanna Dance” was a Mash-Up out of the two world-hits “I Wanna Dance With Somebody” from Whitney Houston and “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun” from Cyndi Lauper. Previous to the release the song has cause quite a stir and is handled as one of the biggest tracks of the year 2008. This track definitely tied up with “California Dreamin”, “Self Control” and “Tell It To My Heart”.
2009 saw the release of the track “Get the party started”, which featured the tracks “Get the party started” from Pink with the rhythm of “Sweet Dreams” from the famour Eurythmics. This track was a huge hit in many dance and sales charts all over the world.
Last releases are new versions of their hits. In 2014 new mixes of “Self control” and in 2016 new mixes of “California Dreamin`”.
This is the continuation of a unique success story, and the Royal Gigolos will provide some great surprises for sure in the future.
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|From California To My Heart||
|Year||Single||Peak chart positions||Album|
|2004||"California Dreamin'"||85||—||35||17||19||2||27||24||17||44||Musique Deluxe|
|"No Milk Today"||—||—||48||19||11||15||—||—||60||—|
|"Somebody's Watching Me"||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|2006||"Tell It To My Heart"||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||From California To My Heart|
|2008||"Girls Just Wanna Dance"||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||Single Only|
- 2004 : DJ Thoka* vs DJ Taylor - "Happy Song"
- 2004 : Dave Armstrong - "Make Your Move"
- 2004 : Bomfunk MC's - "No Way In Hell"
- 2005 : Laura Branigan - "Self Control 2005"
- 2005 : Potatoheadz - "Narcotic"
- 2005 : Mike MH-4 - "Electrica Salsa"
- 2005 : DJ Tyson vs Village People - "YMCA 2005"
- 2006 : Kelly Llorenna - "Tell It To My Heart"
- 2006 : Nimbus - "Ritmo De La Noche"
- 2006 : Lazard - "Your Heart Keeps Burning"
- 2007 : "Why Did You Do It (The Comfort Zone)" (Gigi d'Agostino sampler)
- 2007 : P!nk - "Get the Party Started"
- 2007 : "Girls Just Wanna Dance" (Cindy Lauper's "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" sampler) (Whitney Houston's "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" cover)
- 2008 : Hightower - "Tonight"
- 2008 : Urszula Dudziak - "Papaya"
- 2008 : Shana Vanguarde - "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)" (Royal Gigolos Club Mix)
- "Charts.de:Royal Gigolos" (in German). Charts.de. Media Control. Retrieved 2013-11-13.
- "lescharts.com:Royal Gigolos". lescharts.com Media Control. Retrieved 2013-11-13.
- "Musique Deluxe Album". Discogs. Retrieved 2013-11-13.
- "From California To My Heart Album". Discogs. Retrieved 2013-11-13.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts - German Singles". Hung Medien. Retrieved 2013-11-13.
- "Royal Gigolos in der Österreichischen charts" (in German). austriancharts.at. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2013-11-13.
- "Ultratop Belgian Charts". Ultratop.be. ULTRATOP & Hung Medien / hitparade.ch. Retrieved 2013-11-13.
- "Royal Gigolos in the Danish charts". danishcharts.com Hung Medien. Retrieved 2013-11-13.
- "Royal Gigolos in the Finnish charts". finnishcharts.com Hung Medien. Retrieved 2013-11-13.
- "French Charts". lescharts.com. Retrieved 2013-11-13.
- "The Irish Charts". IRMA 2006 - 2008. Retrieved 2013-11-13.
- "dutchcharts.nl - Dutch charts portal". Hung Medien. Retrieved 2013-11-13.
- "Hitparade.ch: Royal Gigolos (singles)" (in German). Hitparade.ch. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2013-11-13.
- "Chart Stats - Royal Gigolos". chartstats.com. Retrieved 2013-11-13.