Royal Hobart Show
|Royal Hobart Show|
The Royal Hobart Show from the Brooker Highway
|Also called||'The Show'|
|Observed by||Southern Tasmania|
|Type||Southern public holiday|
|Significance||Royal Agricultural Society of Tasmania|
|Celebrations||Agricultural displays, sideshows, fashion parades|
|Date||Wednesday through to Saturday, ending on the fourth Saturday in October|
|2015 date||21–24 October|
|2016 date||19–22 October|
|2017 date||25–28 October|
|2018 date||24–27 October|
The Royal Hobart Show is an annual event held at the Royal Showgrounds in Glenorchy in October. The event focuses on the rural exploits of Tasmanians with events such as livestock judging and wood chopping. Also popular at the event are show bags and rides.
The show runs for four days, Wednesday through to Saturday, ending on the fourth Saturday in October. The Thursday is a public holiday in the south of the Tasmania, known as Hobart Show Day. The Friday night traditionally has fireworks. The Saturday is known as family day and usually involves many discounts and savings on showbags and rides from the other days.
It is the largest of the Royal Shows held in cities and towns around the state by the Royal Agricultural Society of Tasmania.
In many ways it can be considered similar (although smaller) to the Sydney Royal Easter Show.
At the 1968 Royal Hobart Show, stuntman Adrian Labans fell 50ft to his death from a high wire act.
- Lucy Shannon. "RAW puts out a helping hand at the Royal Hobart Show". ABC.
- Showground, RAST Hobart (2016). "BBX Royal Hobart Show – RAST Hobart Showground". hobartshowground.com.au. The Royal Agricultural Society of Tasmania Hobart Showground.
- Global Pty Ltd, Public Holidays (2016). "Royal Hobart Show 2016 and 2017 - Public Holidays Australia". Public Holidays Global. Public Holidays Global Pty Limited.
- Tourist Tasmania, Reception (2016). "Royal Hobart Show - Discover Tasmania". State of Tasmania. Tasmanian Government.
- ROGER HANSON. "Royal Hobart Show crowds blow in for fun, fireworks despite big wind". The Mercury.
- Richards, Blair (23 October 2010). "Show crowds flock in". The Mercury. Davies Brothers. Retrieved 27 July 2011.
- "Moment of horror - 50,000 spectators see death fall". The Age. 25 Oct 1968. Retrieved 26 June 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Royal Hobart Show.|
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|This article about Hobart is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|