Royal Johor Military Force
The Royal Johor Military Force (Malay: Askar Timbalan Setia Negeri Johor; Jawi: عسكر تيمبالن ستيا نڬري جوهر) is an independent military force raised in 1886 by Abu Bakar of Johor. The RJMF is believed to be the oldest military unit in Malaysia and is the only "state army" in the Federation The Force comes under the control of the Sultan of Johor. Its headquarters are located at Bukit Timbalan, Johor Bahru, Johor. The retention of the army was one of the stipulations in 1946 which Johor made when it participated in the Malay Federation. No other Malaysian state has their own army.
Today the Royal Johor Military Force performs mainly ceremonial functions. In July 2012 the RJMF held a passing-out parade in traditional full dress uniform, to mark the end of training for its 61 recruits, for the first time since 1947.As the Johor State Forces it played a significant role in the suppression of the Singapore Mutiny of 1915, and served in both World Wars.
New colors were granted to the RJMF on 11 May 2016 in the presence of HRH the Sultan of Johor.
- Johor Military Elite Forces providing security and protection to the Royal Family of Johor since 2008
- "Johor Ruler wants history and feats of private army recorded". thestar.com.my. 20 July 2012. Retrieved 16 August 2012.
- "Johor crown prince warns that state may secede if Putrajaya breaches federation's terms". The Straits Times. KUALA LUMPUR. 16 October 2015.
- New, Jo-Lyn (19 June 2015). "Why is Johor the only Msian state with its own private army? [UPDATE]". CILISOS.
- Nambiar, Ravi (20 November 1999). BAJ&pg=6615,597050&dq=johor-military-force&hl=en "It has got to be Southern style" Check
|url=value (help). New Straits Times. Retrieved 25 January 2010.
- J.M. RobertsR.W.E. Harper, page 179 "Singapore Mutiny", ISBN 0-19-582549-7
|This Malaysia-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|