Royal North Devon Golf Club
Royal North Devon Golf Club is located on Northam Burrows between Northam and Westward Ho! Northam Burrows is common land and was notified as a Site of Special Scientific Interest in 1988. Golfers share the environment with sheep, ponies and walkers. In January 2018 part of the seventh green was washed away during Storm Eleanor and there is disagreement between the golf club and Natural England on the management of the coast. There are no plans by Natural England to build coast defences here and point out that the golf club can build two new greens elsewhere and relinquish two existing greens.
Three leading British golfers of the late 19th and early 20th were known as the Great Triumvirate. One of them J.H. Taylor, learned his golf at the Royal North Devon Golf Club and was invested Honorary President of the Club in 1957. Royal North Devon was also the home course for the noted amateur golfer Horace Hutchinson who won the British Amateur in 1886 and 1887. The course has hosted The Amateur Championship on three occasions, in 1912, 1925, and 1931. The Club provides facilities for one of the largest Junior Sections in the country.
- Telegraph - Golfing holidays in the West Country The Telegraph, 15 December 2010, accessed 30 January 2012.
- Dowell, Phil, The English Golf Coast, Melrose Books, 2006, ISBN 1-905226-43-8.
- Old Tom Morris Golf Course Architecture, 1 July 2006, accessed 30 January 2012.
- The Draft North Devon AONB Landscape Assessment, The Countryside Agency, May 1999, accessed 30 January 2012.
- "Royal North Devon Golf Club course at risk from erosion". BBC. 23 January 2018. Retrieved 23 January 2018.
- MacWood, Thomas, A Round of Golf Courses: Bernard Darwin - Inward Nine, Golf Club Atlas, August, 2007, accessed 30 January 2012.
- The oldest Links in England - RND History, Royal North Devon Golf Club, accessed 30 January 2012.
- Stevens, Mike. "The Father of Golf Instruction". usgtf.com. Retrieved 16 April 2015.
- Amateur Championship History The R&A, accessed 30 January 2012.
Media related to Royal North Devon Golf Club at Wikimedia Commons
|This article related to a golf club or course in England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Devon location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|